New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Not sure how old this site is or if anyone's listening, but here goes...

Dabbled for many years in my teens with home recording. Time flies and now in my 50/60 s I've returned to try again.

Managed to get hold of an old DP-01FX but don't know where to start. If anyone has any idiots guide I would much appreciate. I just want to get tracks out of my head and work on them. Nothing pro.... The DP-01FX has an old 40gb disk drive. It this upgradeable to a new SSD. I would imagine this may improve quality. Where is operating system stored? I.e. would a drive change need software mirroring. Could this be done via pc/laptop disc mirroring software?

A guide to a simple step by step workable setup would be gratefully received. I am new born in terms of newbies. Ma last experience was with analogue reel to real and cassette decks (Yep I'm a dinosaur 🦕).

Any help or guidance much appreciated.
Hi Phaedrus Grey,
I have recorded with a DPX01FX for the past 10 plus years. A couple of months ago I upgraded to a DP24SD, and got tons of help from several people on here. Did you get your questions answered? I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade to an SSD card, but I also don't know exactly where the operating system is in the unit. I can help you with recording questions. Downloading the manual from the link Spantini gave you will be very helpful. I frequently referred to the manual throughout my time using this recorder. I never was able to move tracks from the recorder to my computer, but I'm sure there is someone who knows how to do it correctly. Welcome

Hi. I'm Leslie Hammond. Please! Remain seated! Please :) ..thank ya verra much. I don't know why I do all this music stuff. I'll never be a pro and don't want to be. I just love to be able to recreate the sounds of my favorite artists on my own equipment at home where only I will hear it. Basically, do you ever do things that other people have done musically just to see if you can do it also? I won't quit my day job since I retired 4 years ago anyway but I push on with music with the bare necessities in equipment without spending a ton of money. Virtual instruments and plug ins are your friend. :)

Greetings

My name is Jack, and I'm hack guitarist/recording engineer. I've been playing for over 15 years now and have been recording on and off throughout most of that time starting with an old Tascam 424 mkII in the age before digital. I'm in a strange place right now where I'm trying to get more serious about things again, and moving from my recordings being used really as a scratch pad and for jam tracks to something I can actually finish and perhaps share.
That’s about where I am these days. Lots of help here. Good luck
Guy

Greetings

My name is Jack, and I'm hack guitarist/recording engineer. I've been playing for over 15 years now and have been recording on and off throughout most of that time starting with an old Tascam 424 mkII in the age before digital. I'm in a strange place right now where I'm trying to get more serious about things again, and moving from my recordings being used really as a scratch pad and for jam tracks to something I can actually finish and perhaps share.
Welcome to the forum! There are some good people here. Maybe you are one of them! :)

Hi. I'm Leslie Hammond. Please! Remain seated! Please :) ..thank ya verra much. I don't know why I do all this music stuff. I'll never be a pro and don't want to be. I just love to be able to recreate the sounds of my favorite artists on my own equipment at home where only I will hear it. Basically, do you ever do things that other people have done musically just to see if you can do it also? I won't quit my day job since I retired 4 years ago anyway but I push on with music with the bare necessities in equipment without spending a ton of money. Virtual instruments and plug ins are your friend. :)
Welcome!

Music is all what you make of it personally. No right or wrong, though sometimes things do go wrong. This is a great place for advice when they do. :)

New to the forum? Say hello, tell us a little about your self. Meet the gang :p

Welcome to HomeRecording Forum! :guitar:
Hi my name is KAIWEN, I am a PhD electronics design engineer, who owns the dreaded(so called) beyhringer 8000A, and have heard so much bumf about them,!! There awesome and I still use one in my studio and it's been faultless " I did see an inherent problem with the PSU. It the cooling. Ohh dear the fan does next to nothing. And is restricted by the the crazy fabric. CUT it out get rid immediately!!! Second all the heat is on the back on the heat sinks that should have been inside with channeled air from the fan. ; So buy a 12 v fan (eBay) a £ 9. Voltage controller. Araldite it to the Finn's on the back. Keep these cool and it will last forever. Otherwise light your fags on it , if anyone has electronics problem let me know I will help. Cheers guys

Hi my name is KAIWEN, I am a PhD electronics design engineer, who owns the dreaded(so called) beyhringer 8000A, and have heard so much bumf about them,!! There awesome and I still use one in my studio and it's been faultless " I did see an inherent problem with the PSU. It the cooling. Ohh dear the fan does next to nothing. And is restricted by the the crazy fabric. CUT it out get rid immediately!!! Second all the heat is on the back on the heat sinks that should have been inside with channeled air from the fan. ; So buy a 12 v fan (eBay) a £ 9. Voltage controller. Araldite it to the Finn's on the back. Keep these cool and it will last forever. Otherwise light your fags on it , if anyone has electronics problem let me know I will help. Cheers guys
Hi reggaeman1956. I'm an electronics design engineer too. A little intimidating that you have a PhD, where I only scraped a BSc. That was until I saw that you used the wrong spelling of the word 'they're'. Tell us about your studio, and your music.
Welcome Kaiwen!!!

Hi reggaeman1956. I'm an electronics design engineer too. A little intimidating that you have a PhD, where I only scraped a BSc. That was until I saw that you used the wrong spelling of the word 'they're'. Tell us about your studio, and your music.
Welcome Kaiwen!!!
Hi I have a tyros 5 76. A beyhringer as you read already, quite a few guitars , and record everything I like from Irish songs to reggae music which I do a lot of. I live right next to the sea , and mountains 🏔️ I'm now retired after many years teaching , and working with the USAF at 20 tactical fighter wing upper heyford oxford, as magnatronics (radar ) engineer, and lots of other stuff lived in China for 19 years at foshan university and came to UK 79. To Finnish my studies at was then UMIST Manchester

Well! I only ever got City & Guilds electronics qualifications but at 77 I refuse to be "intimidated" by all you young buck graduates! I am pretty good on valves which seem to be a bit of mystery to many people these days?

Reggaeman, do you mean the Behringer ADA8000 ADAT pre amp? If so yes, the PSU was always said to be a design problem. Never had one but if I did I would rip out the old supply and build an outboard unit and connect with say a 4 pin XLR?

Dave.

Well! I only ever got City & Guilds electronics qualifications but at 77 I refuse to be "intimidated" by all you young buck graduates! I am pretty good on valves which seem to be a bit of mystery to many people these days?

Reggaeman, do you mean the Behringer ADA8000 ADAT pre amp? If so yes, the PSU was always said to be a design problem. Never had one but if I did I would rip out the old supply and build an outboard unit and connect with say a 4 pin XLR?

Dave.
Hi my friend no I should have been more specific, sorry. It's the Behringer 48 channel mixer, MX8000A. It has 400 watt power supply, and has a crazy fan inside that doesn't do much lol. It should be on the heat sinks which oddly are external and you can't touch them. There that hot so. A nice 12v fan from ebay and a voltage controller 0-12 v which is under a tenner , and means you can slow down the fan so it keeps cool Finn's. And makes less noise then. As to cool Finn's with a fan usually doesn't need much forced air. Simple fact is Fan any hot voltage regs and they will last a lifetime.

Hi my friend no I should have been more specific, sorry. It's the Behringer 48 channel mixer, MX8000A. It has 400 watt power supply, and has a crazy fan inside that doesn't do much lol. It should be on the heat sinks which oddly are external and you can't touch them. There that hot so. A nice 12v fan from ebay and a voltage controller 0-12 v which is under a tenner , and means you can slow down the fan so it keeps cool Finn's. And makes less noise then. As to cool Finn's with a fan usually doesn't need much forced air. Simple fact is Fan any hot voltage regs and they will last a lifetime.
Ohhh and valves is what I started with as a tv engineer lol. Great days.

You've been around, Kaiwen. Done a lot of cool things.
I seriously considered buying a Behringer MX9000, years ago.

Valves were the fist thing I learned about, but they were already outdated for most purposes.
A real electronics community round here.

You've been around, Kaiwen. Done a lot of cool things.
I seriously considered buying a Behringer MX9000, years ago.

Valves were the fist thing I learned about, but they were already outdated for most purposes.
A real electronics community round here.
The 9000. Is apparently quite bad. But then you only hear about the broken ones all the problems are PSU. And terrible cooling. The designer must have been on overtime that night. Lol

New to the forum? Say hello, tell us a little about your self. Meet the gang :p

Welcome to HomeRecording Forum! :guitar:
Hello. I'm Ron. I've played piano on and off for much of my life. I used to be pretty decent playing ragtime and, about two or three years ago, got interested in learning jazz. I'm a complete novice at making recordings and actually got into doing so as a side benefit of on line lessons that I'm taking. The website I'm using, among its many features, will evaluate your playing and offer feedback. In order for them to do that, you have to send them a video, which is what got me started doing home videos.

Initially, I was using my iphone, but I eventually had technical problems that caused it to fail and I switched to my laptop, using its camera function that worked fine, until it also failed last weekend. (Details of the fail are in here in another forum.) As I was searching on line for possible solutions, I stumbled onto this website and I'm so grateful that I did. I was shocked to receive responses almost immediately that were helpful and I now have the laptop working and also have some ideas on how to fix the iphone.

While I've been here, I've been browsing a bit and am really delighted with what's here. I'm planning to do some exploring and am very excited about what I might learn here. So I just want to thank whoever set this site up and everyone who supports it.

Hey, happy to be here now- likely my new home away from home.

I have been 'bedroom recording' since the early 80s- mostly 4 track tape machines like Tascam. In 1998 (or 99?) I bought a Roland VS1680 when it came out and have been digital since then (Pro Tools then Logic as it was a better platform to me).

However, ANALOG here I come, I'm BACK baby! This week I bought my first reel to reel and I'm pumped big time! In 2021 I got back into vinyl, tape decks, 8 track player, a ghetto blaster, CD deck... and this week I bought my first Reel to Reel!!!! ...and discover R Stevie Moore and Ariel Pink, and another dude last night....Hoo-ray!

Back