Neil Young to "restore the soul of music"

What were you thinking when you posted that? Now Miro is going to have to respond again...

Greg - close to 50 posts
Muttley - close to 40 posts
Miro - just 20 posts, including this one.

Maybe you guys need to stop responding so much....it shoots your "look who's arguing" and "last word" theories all to hell!
:laughings: ;)

Over $3 million raised via kickstarter now.

Damn!

Wonder if I can get a new studio built with Kickstarter....I've been eyeballing a nice Neve console. :D

Most naturally occuring soundwaves have information in them above and below the audible spectrum. Their presence is essential in establishing the true shape of the wave. The partials contained in any sound wave effect other frequencies and consequently the overall spectrum. To remove them before they have had a chance to influence the audible spectrum would alter the sound. To remove them after not so much. It is down to when the processing takes place.

So delivering recordings containing ultrasonic information to end users is a good thing?

So delivering recordings containing ultrasonic information to end users is a good thing?

That would depend on several things.

1/ if that was the objective and what file size you want
2/ if the listener was capable of hearing with that degree of clarity
3/ If the equipment used to reproduce the soundwave was capable of rendering it.
4/ If the Speakers attached to the unit were capable of delivering it.
5/ if the environment in which the speakers were located was capable of delivering it.
6/ if the upper partials were removed before or after processing.
7/ This is not an exclusive list of contributing factors.

Like I said, if you tinker with the waveform before rendering or processing you will definitely make a difference. Do it after and those inaudible influences have already done their work. I was simply pointing out the acoustics of it.

In this case, ie the pono it is delivering FLAC files so it will have taken place as the FLAC file was created or when that FLAC file is then placed in a proprietary container. FLAC files are not new. FLAC stands for Free lossless audio codec and is an open source project that has been about for quite a while. No doubt pono have already devised a container in which to place the FLAC file so they can manage tags and all the digital rights they may wish to.

I've read of experiments that show people can't tell the difference when soldered coat hangers are used for speaker cable. You can buy £12,000 interconnects (check out Russ Andrews - a uk 'high end' cabling and accessories store) but the people that sell them never point to any actual research that shows they are better - their literature always says how they believe it improves the sonic image and nonsense like that. I've also seen reports of research that show people can't really tell the difference between different levels of amplifiers once you go over the £1000 mark, so maybe it's not worth upgrading above that level.

I know... it's such a wank... I mean this is in my largish carpeted living room up against a wall... the quality of the cabling is the least of the issues I'd be facing...

I know... it's such a wank... I mean this is in my largish carpeted living room up against a wall... the quality of the cabling is the least of the issues I'd be facing...

No no, cables can correct that.....:spank:

But only at £30 a metre. Electrickery don't respect anything under £30 a metre..:thumbs up:

That's what I do. My point is that I've seen 20 ft cables for like $120.00 dollars that promises "Superior" sound. Yep, and I play as well as Jeff Beck! LOL!

I've come across some really great inexpensive cable....Chinese made, but excellent quality and not silly expensive either.

Kirlin Cables - Welcome to Kirlin Cable

I bought a couple of their woven guitar cables....excellent sound, smooth and they don't get all knotted up.
I also picked up one of their "studio" grade cables, which has a silver plated OFC center wire and a silver plated OFC braided shield, and a PVC jacket that is thicker than most. It's my main guitar recording cable.

You can find them really cheap compared to the "snake oil" cables out there. I'm planning on getting a few more.

I've come across some really great inexpensive cable....Chinese made, but excellent quality and not silly expensive either.

Kirlin Cables - Welcome to Kirlin Cable

I bought a couple of their woven guitar cables....excellent sound, smooth and they don't get all knotted up.
I also picked up one of their "studio" grade cables, which has a silver plated OFC center wire and a silver plated OFC braided shield, and a PVC jacket that is thicker than most. It's my main guitar recording cable.

You can find them really cheap compared to the "snake oil" cables out there. I'm planning on getting a few more.

You do know that as long as the guitar is shielded correctly and the environment is sound that any cable will pretty much do don't you? Physics is physics. Making your own or choosing a decent cable is mostly about how long the continuity will last. All that shit about about current density etc... is motsly, well shit really. No scientific snake oils required. Get good connections and a solid cable. Job done.

A guitar cable is the least of my concerns. I'll use whatever. I usually use Livewires or whatever the cheap shit is that they sell at GC. They'll just give you a new one anytime.

You do know that as long as the guitar is shielded correctly and the environment is sound that any cable will pretty much do don't you? Physics is physics. Making your own or choosing a decent cable is mostly about how long the continuity will last. All that shit about about current density etc... is motsly, well shit really. No scientific snake oils required. Get good connections and a solid cable. Job done.
Agreed. That was exactly the point I was trying to make.

ha don't get me started about mogami...people who use them always think it's superior and are often snobbish and look down on van damme/neutrik cable, when it's clearly as good if not better if well soldered. The only third party cable I've heard that genuinely are better than van damme/neutrik are the George L's cables but only with guitars a basses, worth checking out.

Quality of cables of all sorts is generally not so much about the cable itself, but the way they attach the connectors on the end and how much abuse they can withstand... at least with recording, live playing etc type cabling - perhaps not with stuff that dosen't move much...

Completely pissed off that my Sennheiser mini headphones that I use with my iPod are going to have to be replaced again soon when the wire breaks at the plug... way too fine form me to attempt repair - tried it last time - and the headphones are really expensive, and there is nothing wrong with them.

Back