Neil Young to "restore the soul of music"

There was one on that record with lyrics that went, I was born to rock, I'll never be an opera star, that I liked. And one called, Steak and Potatoes. LOL! I didn't know that about the contractual obligations. That explains it. I read somewhere that Lou Reed did, Metal Machine Music for the same reason. What about the Zuma LP? Did you like that one? I liked Cortez the Killer. The cover art on that was nice I thought.

There was one on that record with lyrics that went, I was born to rock, I'll never be an opera star, that I liked. And one called, Steak and Potatoes. LOL! I didn't know that about the contractual obligations. That explains it. I read somewhere that Lou Reed did, Metal Machine Music for the same reason. What about the Zuma LP? Did you like that one? I liked Cortez the Killer. The cover art on that was nice I thought.

Zuma is one of my favorites of his.

Zuma is a great album, one of my faves along with Tonight's The Night. My older brother played those albums to death and I knew all the words by age 5/6.

Zuma is a great album, one of my faves along with Tonight's The Night. My older brother played those albums to death and I knew all the words by age 5/6.
Agree. Cortez the Killer was one of the first solos I ever learned. Not that it was that hard! LOL! I just liked it. I have no idea why. But does anyone really know why one song appeals to them and another one doesn't?

We use to do Cortez the Killer in one of my bands, along with a few other Neil Young tunes.
Been a fan of his stuff..............forever!
One of my amps is a Tungsten Amps "Cortez"...named after that tune, and it's a knockoff of the 5E3 design that Neil Young uses. :cool:

Yeah...Zuma is also my favorite Neil Young album...but I like most of his other stuff too.

Hey...just a quick note on the thread OP....
So forgetting all to love & hate for Pono going on here.... it's pretty amazing that in just two days they raised well over 2 million $$$ with their Kickstarter program, so the Pono will most likely be a go-go. :p

The other thing....they openly admit that they are not looking to replace anything current nor do they expect to....rather this is for the people who want an additional listening experience. They expect it will most likely have about as much market share as vinyl sales do today....so they're not looking to take over the world or anything. :D

Audiophiles waste heaps of money on snake oil kitting out their listening environment.

Couple of years back I bought a nice (I hope) hi fi - Cambridge Audio, CD, amp and I think Monitor Audio speakers... I was running some heap of junk and I got a good bonus from work so I thought "why not?". It's a mid-ranging system on the scale of things, probably. I'm sure true audiophiles wouldn't be seen dead near it...

Anyhoo obviously I needed speaker wire, and I'd planned on using the standard RCA cables I already had hundreds of, and just stripping back one end as the speakers are direct wire contact, not RCA, but sales dude tut tutted and said "No, that just won't do!" and decided that, given the position of my system in the galaxy of options, that a mid-ranging speaker wire would do... so he cut me not a centimetre more than he could get away with at some ridiculous cost per metre, and he had several grades above to choose from as well.

This stuff's about a cm thick as it is, and I saw some of the more expensive stuff was thicker still, and I'm thinking "Do we really think it will make THAT much difference over a metre run?" but I didn't argue - I wasn't as knowledgable about sound then as now, and it wasn't much in the overall scheme of spend on the stereo.

Couple of years back I bought a nice (I hope) hi fi - Cambridge Audio, CD, amp and I think Monitor Audio speakers... I was running some heap of junk and I got a good bonus from work so I thought "why not?". It's a mid-ranging system on the scale of things, probably. I'm sure true audiophiles wouldn't be seen dead near it...

Anyhoo obviously I needed speaker wire, and I'd planned on using the standard RCA cables I already had hundreds of, and just stripping back one end as the speakers are direct wire contact, not RCA, but sales dude tut tutted and said "No, that just won't do!" and decided that, given the position of my system in the galaxy of options, that a mid-ranging speaker wire would do... so he cut me not a centimetre more than he could get away with at some ridiculous cost per metre, and he had several grades above to choose from as well.

This stuff's about a cm thick as it is, and I saw some of the more expensive stuff was thicker still, and I'm thinking "Do we really think it will make THAT much difference over a metre run?" but I didn't argue - I wasn't as knowledgable about sound then as now, and it wasn't much in the overall scheme of spend on the stereo.

That's akin to salesmen in music stores trying to sell me ultra expensive guitar cables! LOL!

I know you're kidding, but...

Delivering audio that has information above 20kHz is as useful as delivering video that has ultraviolet information.

Most naturally occuring soundwaves have information in them above and below the audible spectrum. Their presence is essential in establishing the true shape of the wave. The partials contained in any sound wave effect other frequencies and consequently the overall spectrum. To remove them before they have had a chance to influence the audible spectrum would alter the sound. To remove them after not so much. It is down to when the processing takes place.

I've read of experiments that show people can't tell the difference when soldered coat hangers are used for speaker cable. You can buy £12,000 interconnects (check out Russ Andrews - a uk 'high end' cabling and accessories store) but the people that sell them never point to any actual research that shows they are better - their literature always says how they believe it improves the sonic image and nonsense like that. I've also seen reports of research that show people can't really tell the difference between different levels of amplifiers once you go over the £1000 mark, so maybe it's not worth upgrading above that level.

Back