My Quasi-Recording/Mix Room Build

Speaker stands are done. I think. My finger hurts from pushing down the spray paint nozzle so much. It's so hot outside that when I came back in, I felt like I had been in a pool. Soaked with sweat. But never fear! I have showered and am sitting in the AC under a fan. I need a nap.

I'll go out there tomorrow and try moving them in...or tonight. I'll see if I missed any spots then. If I did, I may or may not touch them up.

Still waiting on my soldering iron...

Alright, so my next project SHOULD be simple. I want to make a DIY Reflexion filter for vocal recording. Like this.

My thought is to do it with 2' x 2' 703 panels. I already have the 703, wood, and burlap. I also want to be able to put this thing on a stand. Permanent or not, doesn't matter to me. I just want to be able to put it on a stand. I can put a weight on the stand to keep it from tipping, I'm not really worried about that at all. My current conundrum is figuring out how to build them and then how to secure them to a stand. I want the stand to still be adjustable, of course.

I keep coming up with ideas and then shooting holes into my ideas because I don't like them. So...I'm asking you guys. Come at me with some ideas so I can work this thing out! ;)

Standard microphone stand
Drum hardware clamps, for clamping something to an existing drum stand
Some simple pipe fittings
Some simple sheet metal fabrication with rivets or small screws
Some mic clips for their threaded portions

And some creativity.

Okay.

So we build a basic fiberglass packed frame. Then add a cross brace in the center, using wide enough boards that let you overlap them, use a few runs with a dado on each to pocket them together, then pack with glue. Doesn't need to be studs. Heck, doesn't even need to be dimensional boards. Some spare 1/4" plywood should be enough for this. After it dries, we drill a hole through it dead in the center. This will be our mount.

Next we try to find the right way to mount it. If we drill the hole the same diameter as a mic stand's threaded end where the mic clip clips on, then we just use the locking nut to secure the cross brace to the mic stand. You could even countersink the underside of the cross brace if needed.

If your brace and insulation assembly isn't too heavy, then you could try one of those flexible goose necks. Or use a drumset accessory clamp like this:

DV016_Jpg_Large_449035.jpg

...and then buy a used mic stand to steal the boom arm:

DV016_Jpg_Large_490789.jpg

...then use the clamp to hold the boom arm to the side of your existing mic stand.

Now, as I think about this, you would have to have the deflection filter mounted perpendicular to the ground, to have flat against the singer's face. So a boom arm at an angle might not be perfect.

So, instead of the mic boom arm, let's use a cymbal stand's boom arm. Drill a smaller hole in that cross brace just big enough for the cymbal stand boom's cymbal stem to fit through, then tighten down with the wing nut. Then clamp the cymbal stand to the drum clamp, then clamp to the main mic stand.

DV016_Jpg_Large_446094.jpg

Should be simple to find a drummer with an extra beat up old cymbal stand they could donate to a worthy cause, or simply hit a pawn shop or two. Maybe the used gear section at a drum shop.

Hhhhmmm...you've given me some ideas, Bryan. I think I know how I'm going to go about this now. It's definitely different from your thoughts but you fueled my fire.

EDIT: Pictures

Found this stuff on clearance at Lowe's. Slapped it together and now it's organization for my closet. It's pretty low quality (in my opinion) but it's in a closet and won't get heavy use so I hope it lasts. I'm going to be hanging a pegboard above it for cables and such. Likely this weekend. I already have the pegboard. Just have to paint some wood white and screw that into studs. Then screw the pegboard onto the standoff wood.
ClosetMaid.jpg

My new soldering iron! Pretty nice. I've only ever owned one soldering iron and it was an old hand-me-down that belonged to my dad. This one is super nice and has digital temp control! Now to get some solder...
Soldering_Iron.jpg

The completed stands. Well, three of them. The 4th is actually in the room at the moment.
Stands_Finished.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Myriad_Rocker, I am half way through building some stands but yours inspired me to go check out my local builder's yard for similarly heavy stuff. What a great and also cheap idea!

I put all my mics up in the closet last night and let me tell you...there's nothing like organizing mics to make you realize, "I need more mics!"

Without a doubt, the single most tedious and un-fun task I have done during this project is what I just stopped doing. Soldering cables. XLR's aren't so bad but TRS jacks SUCK!!!!! The sad part is that I only got 4 done tonight. I'm so slow! I have about 7 more to go tomorrow. Ugh.

They all better work, that's all I have to say...

Without a doubt, the single most tedious and un-fun task I have done during this project is what I just stopped doing.

Me too. Just found a box of cables that one of my wife's cats had PEEEEED on!!!:eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Cat pee RUINS the connectors...ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! I could have killed that little sonofabitch!!

Just wiped down all the cables with Amoania and cleaned what connectors I could with TarnX. But now, I have over 30 connectors to exchange...DANMIT!!:mad:

Normally, my studio door is held shut with one of those pnuematic door closers. But I propped it open the other day to move a bunch of stuff out. The cat must have slipped in there while I was downstairs...ARRRRRRggggggggrrrrrrrrrr! They HATE me. And vice versa.

The day I moved my Tascam M3700 into my console, one of those little bastards jumped up on the mixer...and took a fucking dump ...right on the mixer face...just as I walked in the door. :eek::mad: I freaked out. That cat lost one of it's lives that day!:D It still lives here...but it won't come within 20 feet of me. :laughings: Anyway, I know the connector thing is a complete PITA. I bet I've soldered a thousand connectors in my day. I used to take care of my bands PA. I swear...being on the road...and singers...ARRRRGGGGRRRRRRR! Always carried a soldering setup with us. And loads of connectors. Man am I glad those days are over.:rolleyes:

Anyway, good luck with your project. Your studio is lookin absolutely fantastic. You've done one hell of a job!!:)

BTW, just to connect my two MSR-16's and the two track to the mixer...thats 68 cables. Add up all the perifial and patch bay stuff and I bet theres over 400 connectors....fuck. All of them made by me.

You could count me out of that one for sure, fitZ. No way in hell would I solder 400 connectors.

That cat would have lost all of its lives if it had been me. I'd wait until it got in the open and then I'd unload a round of black cloud from my Remington 870. You wouldn't even be able to tell it was a cat after that.

On another note...is this right?

wiring_diagram.jpg

According to the wiring diagrams I have, this is correct (I think). However, doubt has entered my mind after I just examined a cable I had custom made. The white and blue were swapped on both the XLR and the TRS. But...now that I think about it, that doesn't really matter as long as it was on the correct pin, right? I mean...wire is wire is wire.

Anyway, confirmation would be a bonus. I really don't want to have to resolder all of those damn things but I will if I have to.

Last edited:
Well, that's up to you to determine. I thought I'd offer them as it seemed important. If not..I'm not wiring your studio so take it with a grain of salt. There are other considerations though. Like OPEN ENDED SHIELDS on some cables and on some Tascam gear...HOT PIN 2 VS HOT PIN 3. I won't bother to look for the links now though.

Back