My drums and guitar don't play in time.

Sean2110

Hi. I'm using a Packard Bell club-366mhz PC with over 200mb ram, a 20gb hard drive and a Videologic Sonicmax soundcard.

I am using both Data becker's Music Studio and Magix' Music studio v2000.

With the v2000 studio, i can get a good drum track with the built in drum editor and it runs fine, but when i record my electric guitar which is fed into the line-in, the guitar plays completely off beat and very slowly, even though i have played in time with the drum track?

The same thing happens with the Data Becker program although the sound is fine, it just plays out of time.

I have tried changing the buffer settings although tips would be helpful and i am running out of ideas.

any ideas?

I've never heard of that software or hardware but look for some type of latency setting. That may be the culprit.

I've used Magix Music Maker (actually, I like it better than Acid), but not the studio package.

Find a way to bounce the drum track down to a real audio track. Then lay in your guitar track, and they should line up.

the problem is you are using a computer to record with!

you are experiencing latency which means you are a closet homosexual!!!

get a standalone recorder and experience creative freedom from the computer!

now you all know im right so there!

if he wasnt using a computer to record then he wouldnt have the prob described.

its really too bad about these troublesome computers. i saw a fix where they said you could monitor before the soundcard and avoid the latency but i forget where i saw it and exactly what it said.

...seriously. The act of thinking before you speak is something we all strive for, here on Earth.

..Reading ...reading is good too. You should probably read AND think before you speak. I know, it's a lot to ask, but if you want to blend in, you should give it a try.

...had the idiotic "closet homosexual" comment been avoided, we'd probably have been a bit nicer and simply corrected you.

thanks a lot there rex toadkill and seahorse.

you silly guys.

you just dont like it when somebody picks on your beloved computer recording.

why are you upset about the homo crack? cant you take a joke?

The joke wasn't aimed at us, it was aimed at the person who started the thread.

This is the Newbie forum. People have to feel they can ask questions without getting stomped on.

Outside of that, the question wasn't stupid, but your comments were. He's using a soft-synth type of drum machine. I don't have the patience to explain the concept of latency to you, nor do I have the patience to explain to you the endless advantages that computer recording has. In fact, I'm ashamed of myself that I'm even propogating this thread at all. So let's just leave it at this...

A) Don't post advise or slams about things you don't understand
B) Don't make feeble attempts at slamming anybody in the Newbie forum.

Got it?

Good. Now welcome to the site. ...proceed with caution :rolleyes:

wow! someone is quite full of their goofy self!

im sure if this forum belonged to you seahorse then you would ban anyone who didnt worship at the computer recording altar.

im sorry if i hurt your feelings. i didnt realize that ppls here are so tender.

the truth remains however that if sean were to procure a regular recorder and mixer then latency would not be a problem.

this remains true whether or not i understand computer latency.

the more i read up on the subject the more problems i see that ppls are having with the computers and im very glad i didnt go that route.

if you dont like my opinion then you can eat my green poop.

Okay, this is getting stupid.

NO ONE ON THIS THREAD HAS A PROBLEM WITH LATENCY, except you, who seems to be preoccupied with it. I use a C-Port. ZERO latency monitoring. Again, please read before you post.

Some people prefer standalones - I have friends that use them and get very good results sometimes, but they are not anywhere near as flexible as computers. No one with an ounce of sense can argue with that (but I'm sure you still will).

Real studio's use computers. ProTools won't run on a Boss digital 4 track. Get over it.

I'm unsubscribing from this thread. My apologies to anyone who's wasted their time in reading it. Those 10 minues are gone now, and they'll never get them back.

Feel free to sling your green poop till the cows come home. I've wasted enough time with you.

silly seahorse.

silly stupid seahorse.

silly stupid foolish seahorse.

i cant believe you are such a fool! i am not the one who is experiencing latency! sean is! how can you presume to speak for everyone else? your pomposity is showing!

who cares how flexible a computer is if the entire system is not usable? ive seen pages and pages of links to articles and complaints of users who try to start recording on computers so they buy a bunch of stuff and find that THE WHOLE SYSTEM IS UNUSABLE AND THEY HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO FIX IT.

how many similar articles or complaints have i seen about standalone systems? none. i have looked but there are none.

im glad that real studios use protools but somehow i doubt that YOUR studio is any better than mine.

standalones are better for musicians. a musicians who has a clear idea of what s/he wants to record can buy a standalone and complete a nice sounding demo in a matter of hours. i did this myself when i bought my first standalone unit.

computer based recorders are great for the professional studio that can afford the most expensive hardware and software and technicians to get it all running smoothly.

home computer based recorders are better for recording "hobbyists" or computer weenies who dont mind having to fiddle around with cheap hardware and confusing software for weeks or months while seeking help in forums before they can record a reasonable demo.

my advice to sean is to get a standalone recorder and learn how to record in a simpler fashion.

i also said that ive found information in articles in the hope of spurring sean on to look for articles on his own to further his education.

your sputtering about "taking your ball and going home" shows how childish you are.

did you figure out all by yourself that protools doesnt run on boss 4-tracks? did you try it? or were you just trying to sound pretensious?

if you no longer pick on my posts i will consider that a HUGE favor!

now go away boy you bother me.

now thats a big help isnt it dogboy?

have i run afoul of the prima donnas of the the newbie forum?

how awful!

No, wascal, you're just cementing your position as the latest know nothing asshole.

Latency is not an issue for most computer recording systems. There are issues with softsynths and I'm not a big fan of those and that is what the poster is having problems with.

Very few standalone recorders can compete with computers for dollars per feature.

You should do more homework before arguing because with every post you just show how little you know.

so speaks the biggest prima donna of the newbie forum!

thanks a lot texthreadkill for your lack of contribution!

latency is a problem of computer recorders EXCLUSIVELY.

even an inbred like yourself should be able to realize that.

sean said he is experiencing delay while playing guitar. i suppose you dont know the difference between a guitar and a synth any more than you know about latency?

really im glad that jerks like you are spewing idiotic nonsense to ppls who are too lazy to find the real answers for themselves. they deserve crap like you.

the weird thing is, wascal is kind of growing on me! maybe it's like chessrock's affection for tyler, but the thing is, wascal is actually kind of clever.

"textthreadkill" and some of the other name manipulations are pretty amusing, and wascal is trying so hard to be offensive that it seems like it could all be an act: maybe he is someone else we may actually know using wascal as an experimental alter-ego for his own amusement and experimentation. He is obviously not stupid, which implies that his obtusity is deliberate.

well, i always said, if you are going to be an asshole, you might as well be an amusing one!

Back