My computer is now useless (Includes: excerpts my letter to Toshiba)

propman

Guys, I've belonged to this board for quite some time and have gained a lot of knowledge. I hope I've contributed at least half of what I've received, though even that is a tall order to fill. The computer I've used to create my music was far from ideal but it was all I could get; an on-sale Toshiba laptop from Walmart
(now kaput).

As it stands, it doesn't look as though I'll be able to complete the music I've been working on or start any new projects. The only computers I have at my disposal are an eMachine from 2004 and an Acer laptop running Vista that I managed to fix through -- given my technical skills -- some seemingly miraculous, though incredibly uncertain jury-rigging.

Feeling crummy that the computer my dad had gotten me as an extremely hard-to-come-by gift had broken, I wrote Toshiba a really brash letter outlining the many problems I've encountered with the laptop. These include catastrophic hinge failure caused by the stress of the hinges being too much for the flimsy plastic housing they were attached to, internal speaker damage (caused by said hinge failure), audio card breakage (from the repeated plugging in of headphones), and sudden complete self-destruction.

I ended the letter by saying:
"I would demand restitution for this flagrant injustice to me as the consumer if I wasn't afraid that I'd be sent another wad of human feces that had been sculpted and duct-taped into the shape of a lousy computer."

Is it so wrong to expect a company with the brand recognition of Toshiba to create a product that is built to last? I'm feel utterly defeated. I spent hours (from midnight to three in the afternoon) trying to fix it. It's days before my twenty-first birthday, and I feel like absolute crap. Oh, well. There's no sense in getting too upset.

Last edited:
Should have bought a mac. ;)

Nah really..What can we do?

Heh! I have just finished with Toshiba re a Freeview hdd/dvd recorder. The machine is ok but I am now on my 3rd remote in less than 2 years and the hissing thing won't even run my Sony TV!

I have a Panasonic fv/hdd/dvd box, nearly as old and that remote DOES double for TV and so gets more use, no problem.

I had a pop at Toshiba and their Customer (don't) care dept' gave me the usual BS with the standard apology, "blah, anything we can help with in the future, blah and blah" so I countered with "Well a spare remote would be handy and save me another 16quid!"

No chance: So I have mailed back that Tosh are off my Xmas shopping list and I shall tell anyone else I meet the same.

Dave. BTW I have 1 HP desktop and 2 lappies. Seem pretty tough?

My previous laptop was a dell vostro. I think it's their business line.
Now fair enough, it wasn't exactly sleek, but it certainly wasn't going to break either.

I remember lifting up a friends toshiba by a corner, like you'd lift a plate.
I could feel the thing bending under it's own weight! :eek:

My Toshiba, 17 inch screen, Walmart laptop has been great for over a year for me. How do we know you haven't abused your laptop? The hinges on mine are perfect after thousands of closings and openings, never a problem with hardware at all. I am typing on it now, I adore this Toshiba. I just moved my screen back and forth and it is nice and tight. It is funny to read your post because I was just thinking the other day that my Toshiba is a rock of stability, a Walmart wonder that I am so glad I bought.

Should have bought a mac. ;)

Mac, PC . . . I'm not informed enough to take sides. Every computer that me and my family have owned has been Windows based. Macs seem to be very well put together and thought out but because of their exclusiveness in regard to their hardware, they're a really expensive option.

Nah really..What can we do?

I'm not sure what that question means. I'm assuming "what can we do [to help]."
Well . . . nothing. I mean, I could be flakey and post a poor-me donate button but . . . I don't know. I'm pretty sure that would make me feel like a creep and lose credibility within the community.

How do we know you haven't abused your laptop?

I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for it. Aside from the screen getting damaged from an accidental fall (which you'll notice I didn't mention in my above letter, being that it was my fault and easily repairable), I've treated it very kindly. I treat all my electronic devices almost as if they're sentient beings; like somebody would treat a lovingly self-restored car. (Christine territory?)

Yes . . . Yes, I realize that remark was quite ironic.

Last edited:
Mac, PC . . . I'm not informed enough to take sides. Every computer that me and my family have owned has been Windows based. Macs seem to be very well put together and thought out but because of their exclusiveness in regard to their hardware, they're a really expensive option.

Heh. I was just being silly to be fair, but the build quality is ridiculous.
The dell wasn't far off it!

I'm not sure what that question means. I'm assuming "what can we do [to help]."
Well . . . nothing. I mean, I could be flakey and post a poor-me donate button but . . . I don't know. I'm pretty sure that would make me feel like a creep and lose credibility within the community.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if you were looking for advice about your other computers or repairs or what...

You ain't gettin' any money off me though. I'm nice in that 'as long as it doesn't cost me' kind of way. :)
(I'm playing!)

I feel for ya man. Sucks when expensive stuff breaks.

Heh. I was just being silly to be fair . . .

I know. I've seen that Mac bit of yours in many other threads. :p

Yeah, I wasn't sure if you were looking for advice about your other computers or repairs or what...

Well . . . I want a machine that is well suited for big audio projects as well as video/photo work. By "well suited," I mean a machine that won't sputter and spit when you're editing HD video, working with a 30+ track audio session or editing a hi-rez photo. Would it be more efficient/cost effective to go the custom-build rout?

On a side note, what do you think of Linux (if you have an opinion at all). I've been thinking about giving it a shot with a dual-boot configuration on my Vista machine (which I'm typing this letter on while realizing how much I like it).

You ain't gettin' any money off me though. I'm nice in that 'as long as it doesn't cost me' kind of way. :)
(I'm playing!)

I feel for ya man. Sucks when expensive stuff breaks.

Thanks. I appreciate the empathy.

I know. I've seen that Mac bit of yours in many other threads. :p

It's one of my things. ;)

at is well suited for big audio projects as well as video/photo work. By "well suited," I mean a machine that won't sputter and spit when you're editing HD video, working with a 30+ track audio session or editing a hi-rez photo. Would it be more efficient/cost effective to go the custom-build rout?
I recommended a custom build to a friend of mine recently because I thought it'd be much cheaper than off the shelf at a store.
Turned out it wasn't. :( How things have changed.
Could be different where you are though. IDK.

On a side note, what do you think of Linux (if you have an opinion at all). I've been thinking about giving it a shot with a dual-boot configuration on my Vista machine (which I'm typing this letter on while realizing how much I like it).

I've no linux experience at all, I'm afraid.
Sorry.

In writing letters to manufacturers, ending with an insult is the surest way to get your (possibly) well documented issues tossed in the circular file.

jus sayin

Having carted laptops all around the world on business.... sounds like you beat it to death.

Reasonable care on laptops wont break hinges or audio plugs.... that's you.

How is that their problem????

Having carted laptops all around the world on business.... sounds like you beat it to death.

Reasonable care on laptops wont break hinges or audio plugs.... that's you.

How is that their problem????

I addressed this in another post. I didn't "beat it to death." The problem with the hinges on that particular laptop are well documented on the net.

In writing letters to manufacturers, ending with an insult is the surest way to get your (possibly) well documented issues tossed in the circular file.

jus sayin

Yeah . . . but what are the chances that I'd hear back from them anyway? I might as well have a little fun.

So, first, I will say, you can't compare a Mac with a $400 laptop. (Not sure how much it cost, but Toshiba makes low end Laptops). You get a Dell business line or a top line Alienware, now you are in the correct territory as a Mac (price too).

Here is what I would do and it is simple. I would go find a comparable laptop that works, pull the hard drive out of the old, install into the replacement, update drivers, keep charging. It is that simple. Plenty of how to videos, just make sure your hard drive is compatible with the replacement system. No reinstall, just plug boot up, update and go.

So, first, I will say, you can't compare a Mac with a $400 laptop. (Not sure how much it cost, but Toshiba makes low end Laptops).

Are there machines in the toshiba price range with better build quality?

Here is what I would do and it is simple. I would go find a comparable laptop that works, pull the hard drive out of the old, install into the replacement, update drivers, keep charging. It is that simple. Plenty of how to videos, just make sure your hard drive is compatible with the replacement system. No reinstall, just plug boot up, update and go.

Not being awkward, but I wouldn't recommend that unless the replacement is literally identical.
Even then, I'm not sure.
If you pop your HDD in a new machine you'll be damn lucky if it doesn't immediately BSOD.

Are there machines in the toshiba price range with better build quality?

First question, yes but they are in the $800-1200 price range. A $400 laptop has to sacrifice something to get it sold at that price. Plus, it is more around grade. Quality is a measurement of expected design performance.

Not being awkward, but I wouldn't recommend that unless the replacement is literally identical.
Even then, I'm not sure.
If you pop your HDD in a new machine you'll be damn lucky if it doesn't immediately BSOD.

No. that is not true. I've done this for over 20 years. On PCs, they work with a common standard (that is part of PCs problems, not everyone adheres to the standard).

The only thing you need to worry about is, is it IDE or SATA. Everything is interchangeable. Same voltage, connectors. BIOS will communicate with the HD (hard drives has a type of BIOS as well. You might have to update the BIOS to show a new hard drive, but that hasn't been the case in over 10 years, so BIOS picks up the new hard drive, they hand shake, it knows its new size, boots up and then Windows will start maybe for new drivers (for the new hardware). You might have to go find them (if you are in 7, and connected to the net, it will find them for you). Most of the time it will use generic drivers and you will not get optimal performance, but you an fix that once you are up and going.

The only thing you risk here is poor performance because of drivers. You could even put your laptop HD into a desk top (need an adapter to mount) but it is all the same. and HD is and HD is an HD. Only issue, IDE or SATA.

No. that is not true. I've done this for over 20 years. On PCs, they work with a common standard (that is part of PCs problems, not everyone adheres to the standard).

The only thing you need to worry about is, is it IDE or SATA. Everything is interchangeable. Same voltage, connectors. BIOS will communicate with the HD (hard drives has a type of BIOS as well. You might have to update the BIOS to show a new hard drive, but that hasn't been the case in over 10 years, so BIOS picks up the new hard drive, they hand shake, it knows its new size, boots up and then Windows will start maybe for new drivers (for the new hardware). You might have to go find them (if you are in 7, and connected to the net, it will find them for you). Most of the time it will use generic drivers and you will not get optimal performance, but you an fix that once you are up and going.

The only thing you risk here is poor performance because of drivers. You could even put your laptop HD into a desk top (need an adapter to mount) but it is all the same. and HD is and HD is an HD. Only issue, IDE or SATA.

Fair play. My experiences are limited and a little outdated, to be fair.
Maybe I got unlucky.

Fair play. My experiences are limited and a little outdated, to be fair.

Just for history, it used to be that Apple used its own proprietary chip, RISC for a while, there where others, built mainly by Motorola (There may have been others). Hardware was unique and Apple only (including HDs). When they went to Intel based machines, then the hardware opened and now more components work with Apple products.

But when you buy an Apple product, everything is high grade, tested to function together, drivers are built to a higher standard, etc. OS is probably not any better (or worse), but the hard ware is normally a higher grade and better engineered product. It takes much off the burden of the OS when you know everything is going to work.

I know the hardware choices are limited and tested to function together, but surely the move to intel meant that the hardware is not higher grade than anything else?
The logic boards may be of a better design or quality, but all the components are generic.
Intel integrated/nvidia discreet gpus, hynix ram (in my mbp anyway), broadcom wireless and ethernet chips, intel processers, hitachi hard drives etc..

The only difference between an 8800gt and a mac 8800gt is £100 and a hexadecimal bit in the rom. :p

Back