MR-8 and CF upgrade cards - User Experiences

The Sound Of Recording

I did two songs, one on MR-8 and the other with Cakewalk guitar tracks 2 only .The MR-8 has a clean and clear background where Cakewalk was pretty noisy in background.So I've came to the conclusion what will work for me is to do drum tracks on Cakewalk,transfer to MR-8,record rest of material on MR-8,transfer tracks through card reader to PC,mixdown on PC with Cakewalk. :)

cellardweller said:
Thanks for that link. I said to hell with it and ordered the Kingston 512, which is $18 after a $15 rebate which expires 10-31, so we'll see if it makes it in time... If not, oh well, $33 for 512 is an acceptable loss I guess...

It'll beat the heck out of my 256 CF...

What? thats an insane price. I don't want to think about how much I've spend on the cards.

$110 I spent on my 256mb.... :o

Sent the rebate coupon in 10-29. The only stipulation I saw was that it had to be postmarked before 14 days of receipt. That is, other than the 10-01 to 10-31 timeframe.

MR8 flash card (CHEAP)!!

Hi everyone,
I just purchased the Ritek Ridata Super Fast 512MB 52X Read 40X Write Compact Flash card at www.meritline.com the price was only $57.00, shipping was $5.66, Total $62.66 they shipped it UPS took only 4 days.
When you put it into the MR8 it says Samsung CF/ADA which was strange, but ti worked perfect in normal and extended mode, and you could bounce tracks and everything perfectly. This card is on the approved list of Fostex.
So if you want a lot of room at a cheap price, this is the best I've found so far, so Happy recording all. The blunote man

MR8 flash card (CHEAP)!!RE:

blunote47 said:
Hi everyone,
I just purchased the Ritek Ridata Super Fast 512MB 52X Read 40X Write Compact Flash card at www.meritline.com the price was only $57.00, shipping was $5.66, Total $62.66 they shipped it UPS took only 4 days.
When you put it into the MR8 it says Samsung CF/ADA which was strange, but ti worked perfect in normal and extended mode, and you could bounce tracks and everything perfectly. This card is on the approved list of Fostex.
So if you want a lot of room at a cheap price, this is the best I've found so far, so Happy recording all. The blunote man

P.S. when you get to the meritline website type in ritek compact flash in the search bar and it will take you to the page with the card.

I've been playing around with the SimpleTech Digital Media 1.0 GB Compact Flash Card for the past couple of weeks and haven't had any problems with it so far. Mind you, I've only played around with it for about a grand total of four to five hours but I've had no problems with it.

cf is good, I like it better than those other formats that are either very small, or thin, or have the contacts right on the face of the chip to be messed up.

My dig cam also uses cf, but that's only b/c i got it to use the cf for my mr8 that was incompat w/ normal mode bouncing....

Thanks for the tip, borinqueno! Can anyone confirm that this CF card will be compatible with the MR-8? If so, I'd say now's the time to upgrade.

kesterdevine said:
Thanks for the tip, borinqueno! Can anyone confirm that this CF card will be compatible with the MR-8? If so, I'd say now's the time to upgrade.
That is the question. I would like to upgrade the cf for my dig cam, eventually to a gig, but not real soon. I would test whatever I get w/ the MR8 when I do upgrade.

If it didn't work, I would upgrade to the latest system version since that is supposed to help w/ compatability of the CF's, and then test again.

maybe with the new MR8 w/ the HDD, we can post about upgrading it, but it's probably big enough already. My Korg has 7,120 minutes remaining free and I have 6 song projects on it, 2 are over 200mb, i think it's only a 40gig drive, memory problem solved. ;)

Barring lemon hard disks, you wouldn't think it'd be necessary to upgrade. Since you still have the USB, you can always back up to your pc.

I can't see anyone justifying buying the ol' red now though, unless they just absolutely couldn't get the extra $100, and are not patient enough to wait and save their pennies.

Looks like the days of ol' red are numbered...

cellardweller said:
Barring lemon hard disks, you wouldn't think it'd be necessary to upgrade. Since you still have the USB, you can always back up to your pc.

I can't see anyone justifying buying the ol' red now though, unless they just absolutely couldn't get the extra $100, and are not patient enough to wait and save their pennies.

Looks like the days of ol' red are numbered...
She is fast outliving her usefulness in my house too, but like I said before, I won't upgrade to anything else until she dies.

And I won't kill her. Old age is going to have to do it for me.... :rolleyes:

I'm still using mine as a musical notepad and really can't see that changing anytime soon...

Major recording happens on the VF-16 (with a new 40 gig HDD upgrade... I rock!) :D And all mixing happens on the Laptop...

But for the quick and dirty stuff, the capturing of ideas, or even the on location sound FX stuff... It's me and the LRB all the way...

:)

Back