MR-8 and CF upgrade cards - User Experiences

Kingston 1 GB

I tested the Kingston 1 GB card today bouncing tracks 1-6 to 7-8 and it worked fine. Even though I just bought a 512 card a while back, I couldn't pass up the 50$ price.

Erik

Bouncing with Kingston 1GB Compact Flash

Sorry for not been able to respond sooner. Work get sometimes in the way of happiness.

Well, the Kingston card work like a charm!!! :) Bounced 4 tracks to 5/6 and the bounced track 1 to 6 to 7/8 with out any problems.

The 1GB gives you 3hrs 13mins 18sec of recording time. :eek: Which should be plenty for most of our needs. You can record as many takes as you want and later (if you have computer) dumped for further processing. ;)

The good thing is that prices keep coming down. After I bought mine I saw it for ten dollar cheaper, that's around $50 for 1GB. This will keep me busy for a long time...2GB CFs anyone? :rolleyes:

b :cool:

all work and no play

borinqueno said:
Sorry for not been able to respond sooner. Work get sometimes in the way of happiness.

my friend, you work too hard...but thanks for the heads up on this.

borinqueno said:
The good thing is that prices keep coming down. After I bought mine I saw it for ten dollar cheaper, that's around $50 for 1GB. This will keep me busy for a long time...2GB CFs anyone? :rolleyes:

Where did you see it for $50? I can't find it cheaper than $70.... :( :mad: :confused:

1 GB Kingston cf

It was $74.99 with a $25.00 rebate on Buy.com with free shipping but that offer ended Sept. 30.

Valig said:
Is this the card in question, I really need this upgrade. The MR8 will take care of all my needs then. I just don't want to order the wrong one.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10370784&loc=101&hdwt=22105&sp=1

Yes, it is! :D When I ordered my it cost me $60. Later I saw for $50. I'm sure it will come back and maybe at a lower price. :eek:

With the new firmware update I'm sure that there are other cards now compatible with the MR-8. :) I saw a 2GB for $120 but personally I think that will be an overkill. :o Have fun! ;)

2 GB now cost what 512MB used to cost!

I don't think it'd be overkill at all, I'd love to have that much space available for different songs. I'll get burned on working on one song, move to another for a bit and then come back to the first. I'm sure this is a bad idea, but it works for me, and keeps me amused.

My wife would kill me if I even spent the $70 right now, so I think I'll continue biding my time...

Thanx to all for the input, and keep it coming as prices drop!!! :D

Kingston 1GB CompactFlash

Went back to check the package for the 1GB card. It has a couple taking a picture on the front with an out of focus green background. It's has in the back of the package in the bottom orange part, the following number: 6600291. Hope it helps when you are looking for it1 :)

Computer Wav. To Mr-8

Can someone tell me if it is possible to transfer a wav. file from my computer to the MR-8 and how? PS.Good deals on cf cards wish I would have waited a bit longer. :(

THE RYCHE said:
Can someone tell me if it is possible to transfer a wav. file from my computer to the MR-8 and how? PS.Good deals on cf cards wish I would have waited a bit longer. :(

Use the wavemanager for the MR-8. Go to the Fostex site and downloaded. You'll have to change the stereo wave file in the computer to a mono wave file. You can use and available software for this conversion. After converting the stereo to mono wave you need to renamed it following the Fostex format of tr## which is tr01, tr02, etc,etc for track one, track two. Then you use the wave manager to transfer from PC to Fostex.

Hope it helped! :o

well, it sure is easy to upgrade to a 128 from the stock 32mb smartmedia card in the zoom ps-04, compared to all our problems w/ cf in mr8. zoom made a handy little portable there.

files to mr8 from pc

borinqueno said:
Use the wavemanager for the MR-8. Go to the Fostex site and downloaded. You'll have to change the stereo wave file in the computer to a mono wave file. You can use and available software for this conversion. After converting the stereo to mono wave you need to renamed it following the Fostex format of tr## which is tr01, tr02, etc,etc for track one, track two. Then you use the wave manager to transfer from PC to Fostex.

dont forget, the file hs to be at 441 sampling rate also, the higher rates wont work

Thanks for that link. I said to hell with it and ordered the Kingston 512, which is $18 after a $15 rebate which expires 10-31, so we'll see if it makes it in time... If not, oh well, $33 for 512 is an acceptable loss I guess...

It'll beat the heck out of my 256 CF...

if you have a mac and u cant make a direct connection with the fostex, you can only make a connection with the flash card thru a flash card reader, can you still download the thing u need to download for the flash cards and get it where it needs to be?

I'm not sure, but I think that "wave manager" is for windoze only...

It will be a slight pain in the arse, but workable without it. You may have to manually align tracks when you punch in and out...maybe...

cellardweller said:
Thanks for that link. I said to hell with it and ordered the Kingston 512, which is $18 after a $15 rebate which expires 10-31, so we'll see if it makes it in time... If not, oh well, $33 for 512 is an acceptable loss I guess...

It'll beat the heck out of my 256 CF...

As long as you ordered before 10-31-04 you are OK! The purchase order form will have the date ordered. Just follow the rebate instructions to the T and you'll be fine. I've done with no problems. :)

Back