MR-8 and CF upgrade cards - User Experiences

Ahhhh, and therein lies the rub.
You just never know for sure if it will work. There are so many different builds by the same manufacturer, under the same "model #".

I'm probably being a pessimist, but I didn't see anything corresponding to the card model # which was on the CF approved list by Fostex.

Umm, wait a minute. Stop the press, I was looking at the 1 gig.
Never mind.

Yea, it's been a long night of dealing with a 256mb CF... :eek:

I digress, this card hunting is still a pain in the arse...

paganprogress said:
Ya know I tried to update my MR8 and it won't go I have the V1.02 zipped file in documents and when the F drive comes on I put it in there following the instructions carefully as I go. But Noooo. it won't go, Why Oh Why says I. Argh want get club do smashing of little box.

BAD MR8. MR8 DO WHAT IT TOLD. MR8 BE GOOD MR8.
MR8 LEARN TO RECORD 24 BIT, BE GOOD MR8, LEARN DOUBLE CF CARD SIZE, THEN BE GOOD MR8.

Did I mention I've had a long night?

Kingston Cards

cellardweller said:
Ahhhh, and therein lies the rub.
You just never know for sure if it will work. There are so many different builds by the same manufacturer, under the same "model #".

I'm probably being a pessimist, but I didn't see anything corresponding to the card model # which was on the CF approved list by Fostex.

Umm, wait a minute. Stop the press, I was looking at the 1 gig.
Never mind.

Yea, it's been a long night of dealing with a 256mb CF... :eek:

I digress, this card hunting is still a pain in the arse...

Just for the record, I got my Kingston 512 card today and the manufacturer info on the card corresponds to the "card info" listed on Fostex's website of approved flashcards.

I haven't used it yet for recording yet, and I'm not likely to bounce tracks since I mostly do live stereo recording, so if you do alot of bouncing, I can't say whether or not this card will work 100%.

Now I'm curious if the 1GB Kingston card available from Buy.com is the same one approved by Fostex. It sure is a nice price.

Erik

If you feel the need to bounce, if for only expiemental purposes, as well as informational :D , I would not mind in the least bit!!! :p

Seriously, give 'er a try and let us know how it comes out, I'd be very interested in betting a 512 kingston, if it works.

If it's on the list I shouldnt doubt that it will work for bouncing, but who ever said I was the trusting sort....?

cellardweller said:
If you feel the need to bounce, if for only expiemental purposes, as well as informational :D , I would not mind in the least bit!!! :p

Seriously, give 'er a try and let us know how it comes out, I'd be very interested in betting a 512 kingston, if it works.

If it's on the list I shouldnt doubt that it will work for bouncing, but who ever said I was the trusting sort....?

Well, you would think so, right? But I did get a card that was on the list that didn't bounce. RiData, but I got it from Ling in CA on Yahoo shops, and the label was interesting, for the $45, I just kept it. 256 mb, good in my dig cam.

Everyone w/ a new card, please test it bouncing 1-6 to 7/8 for us, it's really, really easy. "la la la la la la la..." on 6 tracks w/ the internal mic, then bounce within 18 seconds, you'll know.

Kingston 512

I just tried bouncing to 7/8 with the Kingston 512 card and there were no glitches for me (they were just short 5 second tracks).

Kingston 1GB CF testing

I'm on the process of testing the card I got recently. So far so good with normal recordings on all tracks. :) Due to my frequent travels recording time at home has been minimal. :( Next step is to do some track bouncing. :D

The 1GB Kingston when the MR-8 swithces on says its a Toshiba CF card if that help anyone. :o

b :cool:

SanDisk 1.0 GB Compact Flash $79.00

Just FYI, I purchased a SanDisk CompactFlash card 1.0GB from Circuit City (electronics store here in Ohio) for $99 and it has a $20 mail in rebate..total price=$79.00. Now I know that Fostex's report of cards that work or do not work show that the SanDisc does not, however that has already been proven to not be the case cause Unplugged has had no problems with his 512mb. Anyway, just wanted to keep everyone abreast of the sinking cost for 1GB and I will advise everyone how it works when I get my Fostex Mr 8 later this week...

Jeff..

Elite.

Has anyone tried the Kingston "Elite" cards in the MR8 yet? The One Gig/two gigs are looking really nice to me right now(as in canada half the cards one the approved listed do not appear to exist).

If I missed the post in this thread on the elite series please tell me as I didn't see a reference to it at all.

http://www.kingston.com/digitalmedia/cf.asp For the general CF info.

Official Fostex 512 CF card

After first buying a SanDisk 512 card that didn't work at all, I broke down and purchased the official Fostex one from their online store. I cannot get it to show up on my Windows XP computer when I connect the recorder.

Yet the 128 CF card that came with it works fine.

CF cards keep getting lower in price

Kingston 1GB for $49.99 after $25 rebate. Check it out! :eek:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10370784&dcaid=1688

When I get time I'll be bouncing some tracks with the new 1GB card I got. :rolleyes: Need time at home. :( I'll be bouncing to 7/8 and to 5/6. :confused:

So far the MR-8 recognized the 1GB card as a Toshiba CF with no problems and was able to record throught the built in mic. ;) What are you waiting for? :o This is the time to upgrade from 128 to 1GB.

Update to the Sansdisk 1gb compact flash

Ok...I finally got my Fostex MR-8, I downloaded the updated 1.2 verson from the fostex website and used the Sansdisk cf card with success. I was able to bounce with no difficulty, also I converted 7/8 to a .wav file and transferred it to my computer where I was able to burn a CD. It worked flawlessly, I don't have a lot of experience with this stuff, but it was nice not having to worry about how much recording time I have left. GO big...Jeff

PS- This card per Fostex is not compatible with the Fostex MR-8, even with the CF 1.2 upgrade, obviously the Sansdisk does work. I paid $79 for this 1 GB card at Circuit City.

Firewalker said:
Ok...I finally got my Fostex MR-8, I downloaded the updated 1.2 verson from the fostex website and used the Sansdisk cf card with success. I was able to bounce with no difficulty, also I converted 7/8 to a .wav file and transferred it to my computer where I was able to burn a CD. It worked flawlessly, I don't have a lot of experience with this stuff, but it was nice not having to worry about how much recording time I have left. GO big...Jeff

PS- This card per Fostex is not compatible with the Fostex MR-8, even with the CF 1.2 upgrade, obviously the Sansdisk does work. I paid $79 for this 1 GB card at Circuit City.
Damn that's good news. All the crap we've had to go through for so long and now THAT's all they had to do? and you got a gig for $79, AAAHHgGGG. Agrivation for way too long on this crap. Well, glad it works for you.

And Circuit city too, geez. I guess I'll be going there in a few weeks. I still like to keep some projects on the chip, I go back and add bass a lot after listening to them for a few days. so a gig is looking likely.

I have no idea when I'll be getting 16 tracks and my computers are all too old and there's no way i'm going that route, so i'll stick another few bucks into Old Red.

Well, what's the verdict? Did you ever get to bounce the tracks? That rebate offer is over now but the price is still pretty good.

borinqueno said:
Kingston 1GB for $49.99 after $25 rebate. Check it out! :eek:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10370784&dcaid=1688

When I get time I'll be bouncing some tracks with the new 1GB card I got. :rolleyes: Need time at home. :( I'll be bouncing to 7/8 and to 5/6. :confused:

So far the MR-8 recognized the 1GB card as a Toshiba CF with no problems and was able to record throught the built in mic. ;) What are you waiting for? :o This is the time to upgrade from 128 to 1GB.

ch2os7 said:
Well, what's the verdict? Did you ever get to bounce the tracks? That rebate offer is over now but the price is still pretty good.

I'm in a holding pattern, waiting for borinqueno to respond...

Is this Simpletech card the one recommended by FOstex ?

Is this one of the Simpletech 512MB cards recommended by Fostex ?
It is STI-CF as the Fostex site recommend but...
Costco specifications describes the card as having 1.5 MB/sec data transfer rate. Is this fast enough? Is this the card?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10039715&whse=&topnav=&cat=

Has anybody used this other card ( Sandisk ) also from Costco?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10022917&whse=&topnav=&cat=

crgl said:
Is this one of the Simpletech 512MB cards recommended by Fostex ?
It is STI-CF as the Fostex site recommend but...
Costco specifications describes the card as having 1.5 MB/sec data transfer rate. Is this fast enough? Is this the card?

I don't know if that's the same one, but Buy.com DOES have the Fostex approved Simpletech STI 512 card for $27.99 with rebate (but the offer is only good until 10/10, so buy it now!). I'm thinking of buying this right now!!!

okay, I bought it! I couldn't resist! You can actually get another 5% off with a coupon code for new customers, so it'll end up being about $25, with free shipping! It's hard to beat that!!! :)

Back