More masking - time to fire up the (D) cheat machine

The primary purpose surgeons wear masks in the operating room is to prevent the transfer of bacteria from surgeon to patient, from patient to surgeon. Large particles. Bacteria particles are much larger than virus particles, and far less likely to be transfered via aerosol when breathing normally. Perhaps a slight exaggeration as an example, getting cancer from secondhand tobacco use, it's the difference between me handing you a cigarette or lighting it up and blowing smoke in your face.

Was it really necessary for me to say that? Pay attention, dummies.

The primary purpose surgeons wear masks in the operating room is to prevent the transfer of bacteria from surgeon to patient, from patient to surgeon. Large particles. Bacteria particles are much larger than virus particles, and far less likely to be transfered via aerosol when breathing normally. Perhaps a slight exaggeration as an example, getting cancer from secondhand tobacco use, it's the difference between me handing you a cigarette or lighting it up and blowing smoke in your face.

Was it really necessary for me to say that? Pay attention, dummies.
Viruses and bacteria don’t float around naked. They exist in moisture droplets of varying sizes. (Was it really necessary for me to say that?). The size of the virus or bacteria is almost irrelevant. A mask will catch and hold a percentage of the moisture droplets depending on the filter material and fit of the mask.

Edit: size of the virus can affect the time and distance it travels suspended in the air. My “irrelevant” comment was more about mask behavior. Smaller particles make masks that much more important given their ability to remain suspended in air.

Given that studies show the initial viral load exposure predicts the severity of disease, it follows that anything that can reduce that viral load helps. You know, like masks.

Last edited:
Viruses and bacteria don’t float around naked. They exist in moisture droplets of varying sizes. (Was it really necessary for me to say that?). The size of the virus or bacteria is almost irrelevant. A mask will catch and hold a percentage of the moisture droplets depending on the filter material and fit of the mask.

Edit: size of the virus can affect the time and distance it travels suspended in the air. My “irrelevant” comment was more about mask behavior. Smaller particles make masks that much more important given their ability to remain suspended in air.

Given that studies show the initial viral load exposure predicts the severity of disease, it follows that anything that can reduce that viral load helps. You know, like masks.

The size of the virus or bacteria is almost irrelevant? Nonsense. Utter nonsense. But thanks for playing.

My comment was directed at the two knuckle heads pontificating over the voodoo why do surgeons wear masks. The answer is, primarily to prevent the spread of bacteria.

I’ve condemned it many times. You’re too dishonest to continue with here. In the interest of cleaning up this place a bit, I’m done with you. Taking a break. You should go back to truth social or something.
Lol - I don't have a Truth Social account.

You keep harping on this "generational impact" notion. It's been around 60 years or so since legal restrictions were removed, major elements of civil rights reforms were put in place. Not a "colored" water fountain anywhere to be found except maybe as a historic artifact. Something I've specifically asked and have only gotten *crickets* in response to is how much more of all the social engineering measures would be enough to keep that girl from shooting at people in a parking lot and the endless incidents like it?

You advocate more of the same that hasn't worked. Higher education affirmative action measures besides the fact that it involves bumping someone more qualified for someone less qualified are only going to impact a limited number of people and the value of college keeps degrading with bullshit woke culture taking over campuses - Harvard Law fired its first black deans - a husband and wife Ron Sullivan and Stephanie Robinson because of student complaints over Sullivan being willing to represent Harvey Weinstein. If you don't see that that's absolutely reprehensible you seriously need to re-calibrate your thinking.

Subsidized housing has a tradition of being an abject failure - "the projects" are a blighted area anywhere they exist.

Where do you see any progress being made to change the dynamic of dysfunctionality? Where do you seeing it getting anything but worse?

What would have kept that girl from shooting up that parking lot would have been if she wasn't born into whatever bullshit circumstances she was born into in the first place. People talk about "disadvantaged children" as if they appear out of thin air. I don't recall ever hearing any politician or " community leader" admonish people to not procreate in poverty.

As far as criminality as a whole, what's never been tried are measures to cull the criminal class at the source. We keep hearing that people prone to criminality come from bad environments - I agree.

Under the measures I would institute there would be significant changes to the criminal justice system - "a long violent rap sheet" would cease to exist as a phenomenon. There wouldn't be repeat offender felons knocking up whatever skanks are willing to spread her legs. These measures would be strictly based on behavior and no other criteria - completely color-blind. They would work but there's not a chance in hell they would ever be adopted.

So what I'm hearing here is that when surgeons wear a mask in the operating room it's just some kind of superstition? Got it.
If a surgeon knew they had the coronavirus or covid - you think they'd be allowed to operate mask or not?

Some thoughts . . .

A mod is not fair game for members. In fact members are not fair game for members. I would hope that members treat everyone as decent human beings.

But humans are imperfect, things can become heated from time to time, and mods may need to intervene. However, because they have powers that members don't have, it's important that mods exercise those powers with care. They can't allow their emotions to cloud their judgement. Nor their political leanings, nor their associations with other members. It's important that mods be seen to be acting fairly, consistently, impartially, and in good faith, so that when they take actions such as banning someone, others will be confident that that decision is made for good reason and not capriciously.

Others will not always view a mod's action that way, though. A personal perspective will influence their reaction to a mod's action.

As for mods expressing opinions and positions . . . they are HR members, and are entitled to express views the same as other members. And I am about to do so now. I have little time for any of the political discussion in HR. I think it is pointless. People are unlikely to chamge their views on the basis of what they read on HR . . . so it's just backwards and forwards chatter achieving nothing.

I called for mod volunteers because the current crew are finding it increasingly difficult to find time to mod effectively. That includes me.

Some thoughts . . .

A mod is not fair game for members. In fact members are not fair game for members. I would hope that members treat everyone as decent human beings.

But humans are imperfect, things can become heated from time to time, and mods may need to intervene. However, because they have powers that members don't have, it's important that mods exercise those powers with care. They can't allow their emotions to cloud their judgement. Nor their political leanings, nor their associations with other members. It's important that mods be seen to be acting fairly, consistently, impartially, and in good faith, so that when they take actions such as banning someone, others will be confident that that decision is made for good reason and not capriciously.

Others will not always view a mod's action that way, though. A personal perspective will influence their reaction to a mod's action.

As for mods expressing opinions and positions . . . they are HR members, and are entitled to express views the same as other members. And I am about to do so now. I have little time for any of the political discussion in HR. I think it is pointless. People are unlikely to chamge their views on the basis of what they read on HR . . . so it's just backwards and forwards chatter achieving nothing.

I called for mod volunteers because the current crew are finding it increasingly difficult to find time to mod effectively. That includes me.
That was pretty level headed.

That was part of my thoughts on the matter. Can't remember if I posted it, I think I deleted before posting given I'm not particularly invested in the subject matter....in part because I'm not a mod nor do I wish to be so don't even start.

If as a mod you express an opinion on what could be viewed as a controversial or contentious subject matter, the optics place you in a certain camp. If at some point as mod you take action and utilize super dooper powers not vested in underling mere mortals there is the risk you will be viewed as acting in support of that camp rather than the TOS, the general welfare, and whirled peas. In acting you may have done more harm than good in sparking a fire rather than extinguishing the flames. Things get heated, then what? More moderation? Or, you know, you could just get all bent throw in the towel and quit, leave. An indicator you lacked the temperament to take on the task of being a mod? Maybe you'd rather not the responsibility and just be one of the guys. No shame in that. In that, I'm gonna say it one more time and one more time only... maybe. I have neither the interest nor the desire to become a mod, so don't even start. I repeat, ain't gonna do it. Nope.

Back