Mixing and Mastering Engineer??

That's the trouble with kids these days... As soon as they get their hands on $299 worth of gear and $1000 worth of pirated software, they start giving themselves impressive titles.

Never trust the guy that calls himself an engineer but charges $5. Who on earth would charge $5? He might as well do it for free at that point.

That wasn't even worth $5. It sounds worse than when you sent it to him. The only thing he improved was the kick drum. Everything else sounds worse.

Actually, I think the guy's brilliant. For five bucks, you get bragging rights about how you can mix better than a 'mastering engineer' and everybody gets to abuse him on the webs. Sweet.

That's the trouble with kids these days... As soon as they get their hands on $299 worth of gear and $1000 worth of pirated software, they start giving themselves impressive titles.

Exactly,I mean,his title was "Dj/Mixing engineer/Mastering engineer" :laughings:

That's good dawg, it only cost you $5 to learn a valuable lesson.

Well,like I said earlier,I knew it wasnt going to be good.I was just curious to see what he would do to it!If I want a good mix and master I'm well prepared to pay some real money!

Actually, I think the guy's brilliant. For five bucks, you get bragging rights about how you can mix better than a 'mastering engineer' and everybody gets to abuse him on the webs. Sweet.

That was pretty much the point.haha I figured I would bring this to the attention of some actual mixing/mastering engineers so when the "DJ" reads all this he'll give that name back to someone who really does do it professionally :thumbs up:

Ok. I see your problem.

Everything I thought about the mixed and mastered track, I now hear just fine on the original. What he did had no bottom and sounded like his ears were fried or his system is too bottom heavy so he over compensated with the midrange. Your mix sounds perfect.

Here's what I do when someone sends me a master to listen to. I first pull up a classical symphony piece that starts somewhere in the middle so I can set my volume levels to my speakers. That way I can tell that I am hearing everything I should without adjusting the volume for the piece. His work sucked.

Now for your work. I have no idea why you would call in all those great symphony musicians and then tack a pissy little drum machine into the mix. (I know, you didn't really hire anyone, but that was the sound you were going for.) Get a real drummer to come in and work on the drum tracks either with a drum set or a good drum machine and a selection of better sounds. If a crappy sound was what you were going for, have a drummer play on chunks of metal and wood to make those sounds come alive. And I hate that sound of a little girl spitting. Is that the snare? DUDE!

Now to the arrangement. This a arrangement by layering. That's not arranging. It sounds like a video game score. If that is what you wanted, then it is fine. Otherwise, try stepping it up somewhere in the middle about one step. If it is in A, move it up to B at some point. I'm assuming you also recorded midi as you entered the tracks. I think your ears are a lot better than your mastering engineer's. Don't ever use them again. And this is a good lesson in why having the equipment doesn't make them an engineer. Good luck.
Rod Norman

Ok. I see your problem.

Everything I thought about the mixed and mastered track, I now hear just fine on the original. What he did had no bottom and sounded like his ears were fried or his system is too bottom heavy so he over compensated with the midrange. Your mix sounds perfect.

Here's what I do when someone sends me a master to listen to. I first pull up a classical symphony piece that starts somewhere in the middle so I can set my volume levels to my speakers. That way I can tell that I am hearing everything I should without adjusting the volume for the piece. His work sucked.

Now for your work. I have no idea why you would call in all those great symphony musicians and then tack a pissy little drum machine into the mix. (I know, you didn't really hire anyone, but that was the sound you were going for.) Get a real drummer to come in and work on the drum tracks either with a drum set or a good drum machine and a selection of better sounds. If a crappy sound was what you were going for, have a drummer play on chunks of metal and wood to make those sounds come alive. And I hate that sound of a little girl spitting. Is that the snare? DUDE!

Now to the arrangement. This a arrangement by layering. That's not arranging. It sounds like a video game score. If that is what you wanted, then it is fine. Otherwise, try stepping it up somewhere in the middle about one step. If it is in A, move it up to B at some point. I'm assuming you also recorded midi as you entered the tracks. I think your ears are a lot better than your mastering engineer's. Don't ever use them again. And this is a good lesson in why having the equipment doesn't make them an engineer. Good luck.
Rod Norman

I appreciate the feedback!As far as the drums,my electronic kit doesn't have drinking problems :P Yes,it is layering,understood.Video game score (it actually has boo's laugh from mario in it)!!!I try to incorporate that feel into my music and people always hit the nail on the head!I did get some new ideas while reading your critique,so next time around I'll definitely be putting some of the advice on this post to use!

Horrible mix. Totally over compressed master.

Horrible mix. Totally over compressed master. There´s no dynamic range at all. :( How much did he charge you? Probably was cheap. You get what you pay for, and most of the cheapo mixing and mastering services are absolute crap. Have a listen to my mixing/mastering examples, and you will hear a major difference.
As far as sharing tracks. I use Drop Box for all my clients. You can make a "Public Folder", post the link, and share the file(s) from there. Great system.

Last edited:
Back