Mix this!!! 13 tracks

I really like your(Or whomever's) style!

I'm not 100% happy with this mix yet myself, but here's a first draft.

soundcloud.com/chandlerf/superman

I can't post links so you'll have to copy paste into your browser.

nothing on queue to mix, and i'm bored. Maybe to much on the 8K but not sure ... :D:D

Your original mix on SC, are pretty good, if you put the 60 - 80 Hz of the bass down a bit, and the 200 - 300 Hz on the guitar track also down a bit, and give slightly bump in 60 Hz to the kick, it should sound much better, and it will not form a ball on that 50 - 300 Hz zone. And also it happens a lot to many drummers: they play the snare hit, after the hh hit, so if you advance the snare track in the DAW slightly (0.05 ms), you will earn more punch in the snare without having to do nothing, just because the snare hit will come before the hh hit.

Attachments

• waitingforsuperman-ian.mp3
    8.5 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
BTW, Ove, whatever this L316 crap you keep touting is, if this is an example of what it can do, drop it like it's a dripping member.

Really impressed by the number of responses this thread has got. Thanks everyone.
I'm finding it a little hard to keep up, but yeah, GT3000XX, you got a super nice drum sound on your mix. Maybe the hats and cymbals are a little over panned. I think it's a really nice base start for the mix and if you could make everything a bit more aggressive it would totally rock. Don't feel you have to revise it again though haha, it is great in it's own way.

Really impressed by the number of responses this thread has got. Thanks everyone.
I'm finding it a little hard to keep up, but yeah, GT3000XX, you got a super nice drum sound on your mix. Maybe the hats and cymbals are a little over panned. I think it's a really nice base start for the mix and if you could make everything a bit more aggressive it would totally rock. Don't feel you have to revise it again though haha, it is great in it's own way.

Your latest soundcloud version is horrible compared to some of the ones posted here. It's a shame, because the song was strong. You tried too hard to polish a gem, now it's all scratched up. :-/

https://soundcloud.com/paris-in-paint/waiting-for-superman

our latest soundcloud version is horrible compared to some of the ones posted here. It's a shame, because the song was strong. You tried too hard to polish a gem, now it's all scratched up. :-/

I just listened to it and you are correct. I wonder where that version came from ? :wtf:

It sounds like they retracked a bunch of things, including the vocals. The mixing is meh at best. The energy and heart in the original is nearly lost.

It is definitely by no means horrible and I think the way you're going about this is a little rude. At the end of the day, the song is ours and we have the freedom to take it in any direction we want to.

When we sat down with them both in wav format and A/B'd them directly we preferred the clarity, punchiness, and slickness. To us it sounded a lot more like the rock song it sounds like when we play it live and less clunky than the original. The drums are definitely cleaner and the guitars have a much more realistic tone. The vocals don't quite sit as well and I could have turned the bass up a little but the master is much cleaner and less weird sounding and I plan to fix those parts for the next release. Both have their different strengths but to me the new one definitely wins, and to be honest it's not up to you guys at all. (Also the new acoustic breakdown is so beautiful and please have the decency to at least give me that)

And if we have to discuss it more, I want you to refrain from saying it's horrible and using metaphors and buzzwords to make your points although I'd really rather we didn't.

Last edited:
Unfortunately when you put things on the internet opinions soon follow. If opinions that run contrary are off the table, then yank the thread from the forum and have a nice day. Otherwise hope people share what they honestly feel. A bunch of yesmen is likely how Version 2 came about... ;)

BTW, thanks for removing my comment on soundcloud. I've re-added it in case you change your mind and don't want to be tyrannical.

I kinda like the synth at the end of the first version, but don't mind the acoustic breakdown either. If you want a point by point analysis, ask. For starters, the constant accompanying jangly and distracting acoustic rhythm... that's not a welcome addition. The "realistic" rhythm tone is somewhat grating. The original's was as well and it was one thing I addressed in the mix.

Having been around for a bit, I know sterilization when I hear it. It may be YOUR song, but if you want people to actually listen to it, then you should be listening to the input.

Although I would not rate the mixing as bad, there's several areas that could use some improvement. If you want to learn from this song, post the it in the MP3 Mixing Clinic and open it up to some feedback/criticism. We often discuss what's right as well as what's wrong, so if looking for some stroking you'll get that as well as some mild mannered spanking. :)

Fwiw, I could care less if you used any of the mixes here. The song is what's important.

Last edited:
Back