Mix this!!! 13 tracks

Ok my final one, little more controlled and smooth. Just some quick reverb setting are used but there is mainly balances and a little compression and eq over the song. No samples. Phaser on on lead guitar parts.

The song is great, very uplifting and catchy, love the Scottish accent and the vox are great!

Guitars have a great melody to them but are a little too overdriven however, and could do with being backed of the gain as they are getting a big thin and shrill and the movement of them is lost.

Drums are fine for what they are.

Bass is good, quite a complex line that slides a little out at times making it a little difficult to sit just right -but its a fun line, it might site better if the guitars were back ed of the gain a tad.

Keyboards have a nice sound but the lines do not fit so well, the melody line would be better throughout as a hook or something catchy in the intro for example. It just feels a little empty when it kicks in to start. Either that or double the rhythm part up an octave on guitar for the intro.

The song has some great potential, I took on mixing it as I liked the tune, those little points would have made it a more powerfully produced song and are worth considering with arrangement etc.

Attachments

• SUPERMAN VINTAGE DONE.mp3
    8.4 MB · Views: 14
Yeah copy and paste the mediafire links from the first post. I thought since they weren't active links they wouldn't work but copy and paste does the trick.

tasty mix strange days, and I like how you asked if anyone wanted you to explain and then just explained anyway :) and offtime bass?¿?!¡! heresy i tell ye! https://www.facebook.com/ParisInPaint
like the facebook page dudes and if you want to mix any of the other songs up there, then just ask. Also if I upload something else, the guitars will be completely unamped (just the DI signal) so you can pick all your own sounds - tracks rawer than ... something really raw... sushi?

Hi Yeah,

Im generous i know :-) i thought id share anyway. If you like my style im happy to share i really busted my balls to learn this stuff so i wanted to help others.

And dont be upset about my bass points it was well played....Im just very picky about timings which happens to you once you worked with some producers. But hey.. I liked the track and ive got a final mix to share later which im happy with.

ok my last one I think, it played well in the car, the rooms are better set to help the overall mix.

Attachments

• super wide.mp3
    8.5 MB · Views: 11
I thought your mix was a little bit too harsh... I corrected this problem by turning the song into something a little bit muddy (not done on purpose) yay \o/

EDIT: Mix corrected

Attachments

• Paris In Paint - Waiting For Superman.mp3
    8.4 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I thought your mix was a little bit too harsh... I corrected this problem by turning the song into something a little bit muddy (not done on purpose) yay \o/

EDIT: Mix corrected

Be careful its easy to go one route and get stuck. I know what you are trying to do though, but you have to be careful and not loose clarity.

This is my latests, I used more NS10s to get the upper mids to sit, but also using my bigger monitors to keep an eye on the lower mids, low end. (mids being the click of the kick and the tops of vox/bass)

Theres lots of ways to mix this, so this is another version really. The kick is more Ben Grosse style.

Attachments

• superman20.mp3
    8.6 MB · Views: 22
Well, I corrected the mix once again and I'm pretty happy with the result, I decided to change some EQ and compression on differents parts of the mix with a little bit more agressive snare and a punchy kick.

By the way Stragedays, I like your kick very much, does it bother you to share your preset?
Your snare is a little bit ear piercing.
your whole mix miss something, I don't really know why but it's doesn't sound "full" (frequencies missing?)
and the background voices are lost in the mix (and the background voices harmonies are lost too)
that's all I have to say.

EDIT: changed the mix... again (Stereo enhancement)

Attachments

• Waiting For Superman.mp3
    8.4 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Well, I corrected the mix once again and I'm pretty happy with the result, I decided to change some EQ and compression on differents parts of the mix with a little bit more agressive snare and a punchy kick.

By the way Stragedays, I like your kick very much, does it bother you to share your preset?
Your snare is a little bit ear piercing.
your whole mix miss something, I don't really know why but it's doesn't sound "full" (frequencies missing?)
and the background voices are lost in the mix (and the background voices harmonies are lost too)
that's all I have to say.

Backgrounds are quite subtle, but they are there you'd miss them if I took them out. Ive sort of mixed them to make one bigger vox.

Sorry bout my snare, its ok but the overall mix is missing some arrangement features, ie the guitars on their own in the start have nothing else with them, it gets more into production with it which obviously I am limited with. Its an excuse but one I have fought with on this mix a lot. It just needs more specially with the high gain guitars.

My Kick is not a simple preset, its a mixture of sample and kick. I can say you need the NS10s or similar speaker to gauge the top of the kick. I used SSL eq from waves to get it there, rbass to kick more oomph

sorry, maybe "preset" was not appropriate, maybe "setup"? is more appropriate?
(english is not my first language)
mind to detail a little bit more your modifications?

sorry, maybe "preset" was not appropriate, maybe "setup"? is more appropriate?
(english is not my first language)
mind to detail a little bit more your modifications?

Ok I can tell.. but

Be care ful with you mix, the drums are quite lost. I appreciate you are concerned about the harshfulness of a mix, but if you think like that it can go swampy fast.

Kick is split into 3 tracks this is what I did on the main kick, their is a trigger and an Attack track (essentially a high passed version of this kick blended in to give a bit more attack)

Listen to "my demons" by Starset... the mix shares the similar "hollow sound" you refer to but I admit there is a limitation from a production point of view.

Note compression is done on Trigger and Parallel bus (CLA76 on paralell with fast release slower attack)

Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 09.48.03.png

Be careful its easy to go one route and get stuck. I know what you are trying to do though, but you have to be careful and not loose clarity.

This is my latests, I used more NS10s to get the upper mids to sit, but also using my bigger monitors to keep an eye on the lower mids, low end. (mids being the click of the kick and the tops of vox/bass)

Theres lots of ways to mix this, so this is another version really. The kick is more Ben Grosse style.

I love strangedays mix of this song! It sounds awesome. What did you do to the lyric? It comes through the mix so well, but I can still hear all of the other instruments, even the bass. Very well done.

Hi, heres the mix i done of the song!

View attachment 88108

EDIT : Did a better version if anybody is still reading this thread?

View attachment 88157

Few things I noticed listening to your mix (just my opinions, I'm no expert by any means)

1. The vocals are just slightly "buried". See if you can pull them forward a little. I like the way they sound in strangedays mix (as I said in my last post).
2. During the chorus the guitars seem a little too loud with the harmonies.
3. I really like the reverb you added to the tracks. Especially in the parts where the music stops and it trails off just a little. I do think though there might be too much in the chorus. Not sure if it's because there's more vocal tracks or what. Might try bringing the guitars down a little first (if you want to take my advice there) and see how it sounds.

Good job in the mix though. I think with a few tweaks it will sound awesome.

Back