Mastering engineers, help me~

ksawaia

hey guys

i have this song im mixing for my band but i just can't get it as loud as i would like it.

it sounds great when i master it, but it doesnt have that loudness that determines quality no-a-days.

let me know if you are interested in tackling this and i'll send you the unmastered track

thanks all!

send it to me.. ill take a look at it

PM me for my email address

Please move this to the Mastering Forum.
Yes, what he said.

that loudness that determines quality no-a-days.

Really???? It has nothing to do with quality...in fact, quite the opposite.

If you want volume, just stick your finished mix through a limiter. That's what anyone else will do if they decide to help you.

Yes, what he said.

If you want volume, just stick your finished mix through a limiter. That's what anyone else will do if they decide to help you.

well, i would first look at it in some sort of spectrum analyzer, use an eq to tweak it a bit, and then run it through a multiband compressor/limiter.. There is a lot more to mastering than just "throwing a limiter on it"

Yes, what he said.

dude.. i just listened to your cover of sympathy for the devil... sounds good dude.. i dig it

well, i would first look at it in some sort of spectrum analyzer, use an eq to tweak it a bit, and then run it through a multiband compressor/limiter.. There is a lot more to mastering than just "throwing a limiter on it"

I realize there's a lot more to it. Read my post again. I said if all he's concerned with is volume, just throw it through a limiter and be done with it, because I guarantee that's all anyone else will do to his mix.....for free.

hahaha.. go for it.. is that you singing? pretty good.. can you do the strut, as well? hahahaha

but yeah.. i usually charge for intensive mastering, but i would be willing to just dick around with some random track to see what i can do with it.. haha.. its just fun..

but yeah.. OP - If you want volume, a limiter will suffice, but you may lose some of the dynamics of the track if not mixed and mastered right

this is why you pay full time mastering engineers.
nobody can teach you a career's worth of knowledge on a forum

You mean like the fact that I couldn't even name a (reasonably reputable) mastering engineer who would rely on a spectrum analyzer or use a maul-the-band compressor without a pretty darn specific reason for it...?

Don't get me wrong - There is a lot more than throwing a limiter on it -- But "looking" at it isn't one of them and breaking it into spectral bands for dynamic control is usually reserved as a 'band-aid' for relatively screwed-up stuff.

You mean like the fact that I couldn't even name a (reasonably reputable) mastering engineer who would rely on a spectrum analyzer or use a maul-the-band compressor without a pretty darn specific reason for it...?

Don't get me wrong - There is a lot more than throwing a limiter on it -- But "looking" at it isn't one of them and breaking it into spectral bands for dynamic control is usually reserved as a 'band-aid' for relatively screwed-up stuff.

oooOOoooo.. feisty one, i see.. im just saying, its nice to have a visual representation of what your hearing, as well..

i can tell by how hard you bang the fact that you are a "Master Masterer", that no matter what i say, you will probably say im wrong.. lol.. for instance, how you pulled one thing i said out of all the posts today, and tried to clown.. its ok.. i guess hazing is in order.. hahahahaha

im just here to learn and help.. dont really need someone to clown.. haha

oooOOoooo.. feisty one, i see.. im just saying, its nice to have a visual representation of what your hearing, as well..

i can tell by how hard you bang the fact that you are a "Master Masterer", that no matter what i say, you will probably say im wrong.. lol.. for instance, how you pulled one thing i said out of all the posts today, and tried to clown.. its ok.. i guess hazing is in order.. hahahahaha

im just here to learn and help.. dont really need someone to clown.. haha

You got any mastered stuff we can hear?

I think we should move this thread to the "This Thread Is Messed Up So Many Different Ways From The First Post Onward That I Don't Even Know Where Or How To Begin" forum.

G.

He could be doing something.
You gotta give him props for a pretty mild reaction to his first encounter with insane people.
Newbies usually have a complete meltdown that first time!

:D:D:D

Back