Losing Control

Ok, More answers.

Rayc, I recorded into an Alesis HD24, from there it goes to an Alesis Masterlink.

Gorty, on the harshness of the guitar, you mention over processing, There is no processing on this track. Its the Gibson SG Standard straight into a Mesa Dual Rectifier miced straight in, no effects were used on any of the guitar tracks.

Gorty, yes this is an original, True wrote the lyrics, I wrote the music.
The melody is my take on her original melody. True really gets all the credit on this tune.

Rayc, the story on the reworking of this tune is this, I had talked to True about some collabs, and she sent me a couple of her previous songs she had done with others. When I heard this tune, I imediately fell in love with the lyrics and the soulfulness of her vocals. I asked if she would be willing to redo this song, as I felt I could probably do a little justice to what I thought it could be. During the conversations about doing some collab work, she mentioned that she would like to do some edgier stuff, but that it always came out mellow and bluesy. So I asked her permission to write some new music to it, and she said "sure have a it.", so I done a rough track of what I felt, submitted it to her, got the go ahead, and set to recording the song.
Thats pretty much the whole story in a nutshell.

Ok, More answers.

Gorty, on the harshness of the guitar, you mention over processing, There is no processing on this track. Its the Gibson SG Standard straight into a Mesa Dual Rectifier miced straight in, no effects were used on any of the guitar tracks.

I should clarify my comment. What I meant in my feedback was the guitar sound was too "saturated".....(the distortion being to heavy and harsh)...this is merely a personal taste issue. This is by no means a retraction on the fact that this is a great tune played and performed nicely.

Once again cool tune! :)

I should clarify my comment. What I meant in my feedback was the guitar sound was too "saturated".....(the distortion being to heavy and harsh)...this is merely a personal taste issue. This is by no means a retraction on the fact that this is a great tune played and performed nicely.

Once again cool tune! :)

Ok, now I understand you, thank you for clarifying.
And also thank your for your review, and your kind words.

What I meant in my feedback was the guitar sound was too "saturated".....(the distortion being to heavy and harsh)

The rhythm guitars are perfect but the lead guitar is too saturated thats why I asked earlier if an amp was used.
Id re-record the lead guitar with a good deal less distortion, and probably a tweak on the Mesa settings.

Eck

Nice tune. I really like the guitars and the bass. The lead is a little loud in the intro, but good everywhere else. I like the thick saturation. True's voice sounds great, but maybe a little too gravely in some spots. I'm not feeling the drums too much. The snare sounds like it's not tuned at all and the snare wires are loose. Kick sounds muddy and the hats and cymbals are barely even noticeable. Overall though, a good rocker with a nice female touch. Good job guys. :)

60's guy~ Thanks Randy! I don't know about having anything on anyone...except maybe some dirt gossip for the Cave Tabloid...:D :eek:

But I appreciate the compliment for sure....and about that reverb...I tried, but Tracey just wouldn't listen to me:eek:..Thanks for the listen Randy!!

RAMI~ Wow..thank you. You know how I feel about your music too RAMI...you are one rockin dood!!! I get all flustered when someone compliments and a bit embarrassed...but that comes with the territory I guess...and I would NEVER tell ya to stop, cause no matter how humble one is, the ego of a musician still loves..no, craves..all the stroking it can get. Even the most egotistical players, are insecure...and without the stroking, the passion can begin to wan with self doubt..that dirty little emotion that creeps up on all of us at some time or other. Somewhat like petting in the back seat of a car:eek:..the tease, the thrill of expectation...of needing more..just on the edge of satisfaction..even if you DID reach that place, it is only momentarily...you are left hungry for that "feel" of passion the next time..then that moment of wondering if you did it all right and did you say something stupid...I don't think a musician ever really reaches that final climax:D, the one that satisfies the dream...just like those petting sessions...but that wind of inspiration will keep the fire of creativity burning.

You know..it was those very guitars that really inspired me to let go...the emotion I hear in them...a tempered passion...just on the edge of some heavy wanking...and then finally in the solo before the last verse, Tracey lets go with it...my heart soars and I get all giddy feeling and it runs thru my body...I love that feeling...I crave it.

I will check out your Jam thread RAMI...sounds like fun...and thanks again.:)

Nicole Rose~Great White North Girl...thank you very muchly!!! And to think...I was trying to get Tracey to crank em up!!!:D

rayc~ Thank you so much ray. I am glad you think the vocals are me. I don't wanna be anyone else....well...maybe a female Steve Vai or Joe Satrianni...hahahahah

As Tracey had stated..it was a song I had already written... and it had been done in a bluesy style..EDGE was the first thought that popped into my bwain when he asked me how I wanted to do it...when he sent me that rough take on the song, I knew immediately it was a definite keeper....and whatever happened to the nut that was in that nutshell...? She is still alive and nuttier than ever...hahahahah ray...thank you for the listen and comments.

Snakedoggy dog~Sharkgirl eh? The maneater still lives!!!:eek::D

LOL...yah..Cracked and Dangerous just seemed to fit anything I have a hand in...I really love those guitar tones myself Snake. Funny, that you should word your analysis of the guitar with the vox, as shadowing it....When I was singing this I felt like the guitar was all wrapped around me:cool:....as if by singing with it, made me a part of it...strange but true. I can't help but think that the guitar is the real star in the song though..without it..the song would be ..just another song...that is just me..a song without a lead guitar sucks in my opinion. I just wish I could get certain people to agree with me on that, for a certain other song;).....and another thing...Tracey didn't seem to mind at all, that I sang over some of his lead on that last hold...I know I have made a few guitar players wanna kick my ass for doing that!....I love doing it, cause I love to sing with the lead guitar....Snakedog, I am so happy you enjoy this tune as much as you do. It is a good feeling to be part of something that makes someone feel good and ready to dance!!!

r00p00b0y~ Thank you for listening!! I am happy you like the vocals r00!! I was a bit iffy about them at first...as Greg said a bit too gravely in certain areas. But all in all, I loved doing this song more than any song I ever did before and felt like I accomplished more than I had ever done before too. I wouldn't have a problem re-tracking the vox..IF I could just buzz right over to Indiana again..it was only 500 miles:eek:...but I think that may be a while. I even got a fuking speeding ticket in Illinois on my way there!!! :eek::mad::D

I like the guitars on this r00...I don't think they are too dirty. In fact..that is probably why they inspired me so...the dirtiness...but everyone has there preference.

Yah it is an original. The basic melody of the song...and the lyrics were already done, but done bluesy. Tracey said the song was gonna sound different as rock and would that bother me...and I said for him to go for it...and man, am I ever glad I did. I am still amazed at the difference. Sometimes it pays to drop the hardheaded woman thingy and let someone else take the lead for a change.... but that was then...I am now back to wanting my way again...

Thanks again r00!!!:)

JCM900~ All the credit to me...? HAH!!! You have just as much credit coming to you or more. Yah..without me, the song would not be there at all...but without you and your reworking of the song...it would just be another unfinished idea of mine.:)

CIRO~ Thank you for listening and the good words CIRO!!!:) You avatar has a whole new take on "talk to the hand"...:D

Greg_L~ Thanks for listening Greg! I agree with you on the guits...the saturation is a good thing in my opinion. I agree about the gravely in some spots too...

Nice female touch?:confused::eek::mad:...I'm not sure how to assimilate that one.:D

60's guy~ Thanks Randy! I don't know about having anything on anyone...except maybe some dirt gossip for the Cave Tabloid...:D :eek:

But I appreciate the compliment for sure....and about that reverb...I tried, but Tracey just wouldn't listen to me:eek:..Thanks for the listen Randy!!
For Christ Sakes! It took 3 minutes for me to quote, backspace, and edit your damn post! :D:mad:

Tracey wouldn't listen to you? :eek: But not surprised.

You wouldn't listen to me when we recorded Sail Away.

Try as I did, I couldn't convince you to record your vocals dry.

You're one stubborn woman and I admire that.......BUT.......record your vocals with ZERO reverb in the future.

I'm not familiar with your recording process, but there may be a way for you to apply reverb and monitor the effect with your headset without actually having the reverb actually recorded to the track.

Look into that possibility.

I know you and your mindset about reverb as it's applied to your vocals.

I also know that you're dead wrong about how much reverb is needed on your vocals.

On a scale of 1 to 10.

You say 10.

I say 2 (for a starting point).

But, Hey?

What do I know?

:)

Well...I thought I sent you a dry track on those vocals...guess not...

...but I do have dry tracks of them..it was just a well kept secret....:eek:

...and dammit..what do you think copy-delete is for...? You don't have to backspace that way.:D

Well...I thought I sent you a dry track on those vocals...guess not.
You did send a dry track on one of and perhaps both of those vocals, but I chose not to use it because there wasn't the same amount of emotion on the dry tracks.

Any lack of of emotion on those tracks was strictly because in your head because you weren't hearing the vocals with that reverb that you adore. You have a habit of allowing the reverb effect drive your emotion when in fact you already possess enough emotion to drive your vocals on your own without effects.

Listen to yourself.......unaltered.

I guarantee that if you make an effort to record dry and let yourself only imagine to hear the reverb the same amount of emotion within your voice will come through.

Then again, what do I know? ;)

:D:D:D:D..hey I hear enough imaginary shit in my head already!!!:eek:

I understand what you are saying though...Tracey has been drilling me on that...a LOT....;)

Damn..you guys take all the effects fun away from a gal...:D

freaking awesome!
sounded like stevie nicks, but a badass stevie nicks. really cool song!
it was also very clear and lively. good show :)

Nice sounds...good guitar tone, and cool riff.

Excellent job on the vocals....really glad to hear you didn't drown these in verb...they sit well, and have a great gritty sound. I think they sound like they are near distorting at times...not sure if that was intended. That might be the soundclick file compression affecting them.

Drums are the only lacking item....cymbals are quiet, and the snare is odd. Get those fixed....:D

Some good basslines there, and it's a pretty good tone for this song.

Nice performances though...some really good sounds, and it's a fun tune to listen to.

Nice sounds...good guitar tone, and cool riff.

Excellent job on the vocals....really glad to hear you didn't drown these in verb...they sit well, and have a great gritty sound. I think they sound like they are near distorting at times...not sure if that was intended. That might be the soundclick file compression affecting them.

Drums are the only lacking item....cymbals are quiet, and the snare is odd. Get those fixed....:D

Some good basslines there, and it's a pretty good tone for this song.

Nice performances though...some really good sounds, and it's a fun tune to listen to.
Dog..thanks for listening.

Yah...Tracey recorded this vox track in HIS studio and had control of everything...I was not allowed near any knobs or sliders...:D:eek::D

A good example of what not to do with Auto-tune:)

You should have your ears checked.... theres no autotune on this recording.... I dont even own one.

What made you think there was autotune anyway, I mean at what point in the song?

I really dig the vocals, kinda reminiscent of Bonni Raitt(sp?) or Janis...lots o' soul! Guitars sound nice and gritty...agree with dogman 'bout the drums, sound kinda funky and distant...some cool skynrd type guitar bends in there...nice job to all involved, it rocks!

I really dig the vocals, kinda reminiscent of Bonni Raitt(sp?) or Janis...lots o' soul! Guitars sound nice and gritty...agree with dogman 'bout the drums, sound kinda funky and distant...some cool skynrd type guitar bends in there...nice job to all involved, it rocks!

Thanks for the roses!
I am currently working on getting some better drum sounds.

Back