let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 185 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.5%

• Total voters
Well, here goes. It's analog recording and digital archiving. There are various photos throughout the blog, which is tracing the evolution so far. It's housed in what used to be an attic of a building that became a law library before the law firm sold the building to the University where I work.

Digital converter is a Focusrite Sapphire 24; computer is a Macbook. Don't think I have any shots of those items in there yet.

Further Adventures in Recording

Bob,
Cool space, and more importantly, you can tell those people are having fun making and recording music. Kinda reminds me of "Will the Circle be Unbroken" from many moons ago. Are there any samples available anywhere?

This is my humble basement. This was supposed to be finished out by now, but I may be moving and didn't want to sink any more money into this place. It gets me by for now.

Studio0001.jpg

Studio0002-1.jpg

Studio0003.jpg

Studio0005.jpg

Studio0006-1.jpg

Studio0007-1.jpg

Studio0009-1.jpg

Studio0010.jpg

Getting real close to being finished with my home based studio here.........tracking room is 18 by 16, control room is 12 by 16 with a corner cut out for bathroom space.......didnt wanna put it there, but didnt have much choice due to plumbing retrictions and a concrete floor I didnt want to have to cut into. The glass will be going in hopefully this weekend, will be 2 angled panes of different thicknesses, one lightly smoked the other clear. Been studiously working at learning Pro Tools, it has been really hard to basically throw out 30 years of live sound experience and analog tape recording experience and taking a different thought pattern, but I am slowly getting it. Link below is to pics I have posted on facebook.

Thanks all for looking :)

Peace,
JB

Facebook

For as long as I’ve hung out here, this has been my favorite thread. The MP3 clinic is by far the most helpful and important thing going here, but this one is a guilty pleasure I can’t resist: sneaking a peek into other people’s musical playgrounds.

For the longest time, I used this thread as motivation, hoping that someday I’d have something to post here as well. Well my studio’s been done for some time now. In fact I did a “Studio Construction Thread” that shows the whole dealio from beginning to end if you want more detail.

It’s been long enough since that thread died down that I think I can post the finished pics here without being too redundant. Sorry there are so many—I’m like a proud papa. Enjoy!

done_01.jpg

done_02.jpg

done_03.jpg

done_04.jpg

Really nice set up!

Whitestrat...WOW...really nice...I love the set up and it looks like a comfortable environment.
I just made a few pics myself of mine, but I can't remember if I ever posted them.
So at the risk of duplicating a post here we go.....

Attachments

• Drum Booth sm.jpg
    Drum Booth sm.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 817
  • Voc Bth sm.jpg
    Voc Bth sm.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 817
  • Studio Main sm.jpg
    Studio Main sm.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 822
Tom--I remember your space, so I've seen it somewhere. I love that space--it's like acres. Do you keep two drum kits set up, or are those two different shots from different times/setups?

Tom--I remember your space, so I've seen it somewhere. I love that space--it's like acres. Do you keep two drum kits set up, or are those two different shots from different times/setups?

Those are 2 different kits.
I have like 4 kits and keep one in the booth and then a small practice kit out for band practice.
I really enjoy the place. It isn't perfect but it isn't holding me back in anyway like my lack of talent is.(LOL)

For as long as I’ve hung out here, this has been my favorite thread. The MP3 clinic is by far the most helpful and important thing going here, but this one is a guilty pleasure I can’t resist: sneaking a peek into other people’s musical playgrounds.

For the longest time, I used this thread as motivation, hoping that someday I’d have something to post here as well. Well my studio’s been done for some time now. In fact I did a “Studio Construction Thread” that shows the whole dealio from beginning to end if you want more detail.

It’s been long enough since that thread died down that I think I can post the finished pics here without being too redundant. Sorry there are so many—I’m like a proud papa. Enjoy!

Whitey, I think you got the awesomest home studio here. I would kill for that desk! I've been looking far and wide for anything remotely close that doesn't cost $1000+.....

Anyway I'm getting situated in GA here, I have 1/2 my stuff set up ni the dining room :D My area is about 12'x12' with 9' ceilings and hardwood floors. It's open to a big living room and 2 story foyer behind the mix pos. so there's a lot of space for sound to dissipate before it reflects back to me, I think the room sounds better than my basement in WI! But my computer is loud and there's ZERO isolation to the rest of the house, so I'm still trying to figure out how tracking is gonna work.. You can't tell from the pics but the lights are blue and green, it has a kind of stagey look.

No drums yet, I dont have all my guitars out, only one guitar cab, no big amps, no PA.. There's still a TON of stuff in storage. I'm renting this place for one year, so I'm not going all-out on it. When my house in WI sells I'll buy another house down here, it WILL have a basement! That house will be long-term, so I'll deck out that place, and fix all the little quirks I hated about my last 3 places :D Hopefully I can approach the kewlness of WS's!

Attachments

• ss.studio2.jpg
    ss.studio2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 856
  • ss.studio.jpg
    ss.studio.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 852
  • ss.studio3.jpg
    ss.studio3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 854
Some great setups here...mine is decidedly ghetto in comparison... :)

Just starting to get a little more serious about recording after 18 years of playing in bands that go nowhere.

The lady and I have just moved and our new place has a basement, which she ceded to me in exchange for control of the rest of the house. I took the opportunity to set up a little workspace for myself down there. Previously, I made demos on a PC, but owing to my constant issues with computers, I decided to go with a dedicated hard drive unit, outboard gear, and my old MIDI station that I've had since high school.

I've gotten an SPX900 since these crappy phone camera photos were taken, and I like that unit very much. I also just purchased an ART MPA Gold preamp today...that should be here in a week or so, can't wait!

Also not shown is the beer fridge, which is my version of mood lighting. :)

My guitars and basses are kept upstairs, and my stage amps are at my band's practice space; the little ones in the pics are fine enough for what I do down in the cave.

studio2.jpg

studio5.jpg

studio6.jpg

studio7.jpg

studio8.jpg

My Recording Room(s)

This is my revised room as of now. I'm still enjoying the 'hybrid' type set up....it's tactile and sounds fine. The guitars are on 'radio' link, so recording is done where the desk is, with no headphones. This has been a very comfortable change for me. Plus I can hear my eq and playing mistakes in 'real-time'...lol.:p

Attachments

• Mark desk light.jpg
    Mark desk light.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 704
  • PICT0011.jpg
    PICT0011.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 702
It's just a finished basement, it's not closed off to the upstairs and there's a laundry room. The lighting is poor. I plan on painting and putting up some track lights. Then get some bass traps in the corners. Though I'm not sure it'll help much with the fireplace on the wall right behind where my work station is.
HPIM2208.jpg
[/IMG]
This pic is before I got the work station, I was using 1 desk for every thing, home office, work, union job and music.
HPIM2262.jpg

This is the work station that I picked up off Craigs List for 150.00
And some more pics around my work space.
HPIM2192.jpg

Thats the fireplace directly behind the work station...too much sound reflection?
HPIM2200-1.jpg

My noisy neighbor.

Back