Least expensive must-have mic

EddieRay said:
I landed one of those for $35 (used) but have not played around with it very much. I tried using it as a stage vocal mic when two of us had to sing through the same mic but we had some feedback problems (although I'm not convinced it was caused by this mic).

How are you using it?

Well, I can't imagine using an omni on stage. That's just asking for trouble.

Cult_Status02 said:
Where are you getting 57s for $50-65?

craigslist, and some guy i know sold one to me for $50. the other two was on ebay, i paid $130 for a pair or somthing like that.

LP2006 said:
I tried an mxl 67G the other day. It totally blew me away.

Other than that, there's a lot of good audio-technica stuff out there for under $200. The AT3035's are going cheap on ebay these days ($140 BIN), and I scored an AT4033 classic off of someone in the B/S/T forums for $125 I think. That was lucky though.

how much do they run? I couldnt find one on ebay or at MF

Big Kenny said:
Well, that's not what Dave Matthews does..... (oops)

you're right....cause he can afford an engineer to do it for him :D

I actually stole that set up from a video on taylor guitars website.

The placement of the 603 though is pretty common for acoustic micing.

While the MSH mics are neat, and I own four, I couldn't recommend them to the original poster - since he asked for essential mics under 200 dollars.

I can think of many mics under 200 bucks more utilitarian than the MSH series of condensers; the sm57, several beyerdynamics, the studio projects B1, the MXL V67, the MXL 603, the Oktava MC-012, etc.

Used mics open even more possibilities - the RE-20, MD-421(et al) and SM-7 come to mind first.

YMMV

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
A mic I'd hate to go without having had one for a while now is the EV 635a (dynamic omni).

£40 (about $75) on ebay.

EV RE-55. I have four and they averaged $80 each. The RE-55 is basically a 635a without the bass roll off and with a resonant chamber to tweak the high end up flat to beyond 15K (but they don't sound bad). If they were the only mikes I had in the studio, I wouldn't really lose any sleep over it. I've used them regularly on vocals, cabs, instruments of all kinds, drum overhead, bass drum... you name it.

Cheers,

Otto

I've got some prototype MSH-1O omnis. If you want to hear them properly look for Timothy Lawler in the MP3 forum. I've also got a 57 knockoff from http://www.speakerrepair.com/ and they're very good. I've also got a Studio Projects C1 on the way.

With that setup you have a mic for anyhing you'd like to record.

ofajen said:
EV RE-55. I have four and they averaged $80 each. The RE-55 is basically a 635a without the bass roll off and with a resonant chamber to tweak the high end up flat to beyond 15K (but they don't sound bad). If they were the only mikes I had in the studio, I wouldn't really lose any sleep over it. I've used them regularly on vocals, cabs, instruments of all kinds, drum overhead, bass drum... you name it.

Cheers,

Otto

Are those vintage mics, or do the make them new?

Caotico said:

The RE-55 was discontinued in about 2000. Sorry. I got mine used from various sources. Some classic omni mikes simply didn't sell well enough to be kept on the product line. Another new favorite of mine, the SM-80, omni capsule version of the SM-81, suffered a similar fate at just about the same time due to dismal sales. That also makes them tough to find used, since the total production wasn't that much.

Come to think of it, most of my mikes are long since out of production. Probably a sign of advancing age...

Cheers,

Otto

Caotico said:

In case you're interested, here's a link to the spec sheet and other info on the RE-55:

http://www.coutant.org/re55/index.html

That same site has information on a number of older and current mikes. Also, EV is very good about maintaining data sheets and info on their older mikes on their website in the archive section. The other amazing thing is that they offer a lifetime warranty on the mike. I bought one, used, that was already pretty old. When the capsule went dead, I sent it in and they replaced it with a new capsule and just charged me for shipping and a few bucks to replace the windscreen.

Cheers,

Otto

I'd be happy with this setup:

Pair of Studio Project B1's ($125 each) - drum overheads, room mics, distant mics

Shure SM57 ($90) - snare, guitar

Joe Meek JM27 ($50) - snare, acoustic

Shure Beta 52 or AKG D112 ($125 used) - kick, bass, guitar, screaming vocals (you'd be surprised)

But I'd have to add at least a Rode NT2 ($300) for vocals.

Supercreep said:
While the MSH mics are neat, and I own four, I couldn't recommend them to the original poster - since he asked for essential mics under 200 dollars.

I can think of many mics under 200 bucks more utilitarian than the MSH series of condensers; the sm57, several beyerdynamics, the studio projects B1, the MXL V67, the MXL 603, the Oktava MC-012, etc.

Used mics open even more possibilities - the RE-20, MD-421(et al) and SM-7 come to mind first.

YMMV

Anyone using dynamics on vocals frequently? (like the RE-20 and the SM-7). Do you prefer them to condensers?

TragikRemix said:
sm57 (x4)..

I'm not surprised to see the sm57 popping up in frequently in this thread. I have to say that I used it on a really cheap guitar and got an awesome rhythm sound. I don't know if I'm 100% sold on its sound with snare, but it's definitely usable for that source.

If you like the NT2

Yareek said:
I'd be happy with this setup:

Pair of Studio Project B1's ($125 each) - drum overheads, room mics, distant mics

Shure SM57 ($90) - snare, guitar

Joe Meek JM27 ($50) - snare, acoustic

Shure Beta 52 or AKG D112 ($125 used) - kick, bass, guitar, screaming vocals (you'd be surprised)

But I'd have to add at least a Rode NT2 ($300) for vocals.

I'll bet APL is ready to sell his.

I keep trying to find where it was that Harvey said he like the JM27s for something. I want to know what he thought they were good for.

I just purchased an AT-4040 and I am surprised at how warm this mic sounds for being transformerless. Beautiful midrange, tight low end and smooth silky highs. Great mic and I honestly don't believe anything can touch it in its price range. It also sits very nicely in a mix.

The negative thing about most of the cheap mikes I've used is a tendency to sound brittle on attack transients. I pretty much just record unamplified gtr so good-sounding transients are most of what I listen for. So for me that eliminates the MXL 603, 67, 990, NT2 and some others I've had lying around. But I have to say that I play fairly loud and for someone who has more of a quiet sound on acoustic it's less of a problem.

The mikes I like under $200:
KEL HM1 (cardioid) This is a really underrated mike.
SM57 for gtr amps
MSH1 and 4 (omni)

I'm also curious to try the omni caps for the MXL 603.

notCardio said:
I keep trying to find where it was that Harvey said he like the JM27s for something. I want to know what he thought they were good for.
I have the new JM47, which I liked enough to buy. I don't think I've heard the JM27's.

Back