Least expensive must-have mic

Caotico

for all the right reasons
What is the least expensive mic that is essential or nearly essential for your studio? I'm interested to know if there are cheap mics (i.e. less than 200$) that you use, even if you have access to more expensive ones. Are there any cheap mics you just can't live without?

Wow, that guy is RAMBLING!

Here's the problem: if I sold all of my mics I could afford probably 3 really great Neumann mics, but I would miss all of the weird little mics I've accrued over the years. I thik maybe 3 times I've spent over $200 on a mic (SM7, M160, and a pair of Rode NT-5s (they were $260 combined). I reach for oddball dynamics or weird ribbons most of the time, a couple tube mics are nice too, but I haven't found anything that I've LOVED on everything that it's been miced on. Ribbons are by far what I consider the most utilitarian, if I had to get rid of everything but one mic, I'd have to keep a ribbon, just something about it. You can get an old Shure 315, 330, or 333 for roughly $200. I have a 315 and like it very much. OH! Back to cheap mics... the Beyer M300 is literally worth its weight in gold, so are the m81s on drums or even guitar cabs. If you wanted to do everything (guitars/vocals/drums/micing the riverdance), I'd go with a ribbon or the Oktava MKL 2500, pretty versatile and used they're under $200. That's a mic I grab for just to see how it sounds on stuff just because. Sorry for the ramble, a weird kind of desert island question just got me thinking, I have way too many mics, it's out of control.
I should post a picture of the collection, it's pretty gross.

my blue kickball is the only large diaphragm dynamic I own, but I love the tones it gives me for kick as well as on a bass cabinet. and priced at $150 its a great deal. actually, I think they reduced the price in some places to $100 now. other than that I would say my es-57 gets the job done elsewhere, while being dirt, dirt cheap.

Caotico said:
What is the least expensive mic that is essential or nearly essential for your studio? I'm interested to know if there are cheap mics (i.e. less than 200$) that you use, even if you have access to more expensive ones. Are there any cheap mics you just can't live without?

Shure SM57. I don't know of any pro studio that doesn't have at least 4 or more. :)

Caotico said:

Groove Tubes GT44 Tube mic.

ljmaxx said:
Shure SM57.

+1 on the SM57

You should already have one of those.

Others that I have picked up for right around $200 include:

Used Beyer M88 (some vocals and guitar cabs)
Used Shure SM7 (many vocals)
New Beta 52 (Kick and some bass cab)
AKG 112 (Kick)
Sennheiser 421 (guitar cab, snare, front of set)

Reactions: SRR
jdier said:
+1 on the SM57

You should already have one of those.

Others that I have picked up for right around $200 include:

Used Beyer M88 (some vocals and guitar cabs)
Used Shure SM7 (many vocals)
New Beta 52 (Kick and some bass cab)
AKG 112 (Kick)
Sennheiser 421 (guitar cab, snare, front of set)

You got an M88 for $200? Score! I'm looking for one at the moment and best price I can find is in the mid-$300's...(even on Ebay!)

Reactions: apl
SM57 - this is the most versatile mic under $100
CAD M179 - this is the most versatile mic under $200

End of story. :rolleyes:

AKG C2000B- best mic I have on clean cabs, good on voicevers, great on toms, congas, Djembe, etc.

Oktava MK319- Often a first choice on female vocals.

AKG D112- Good on kick, bass cabs, and some voiceovers.

AKG D770- great on distorted cabs and snare, good on horns and sax. I use it for everything most folks would use an SM57 for.

Oktava MC012- excellent as an overhead, really good on violin/viola/fiddle.

Note that I have quite a few more expensive mics. The mics that see the most duty are B.L.U.E. Kiwi, AKG C414B-ULS, and Neumann KM184's.-Richie

Last edited:
tnjazz said:
You got an M88 for $200? Score! I'm looking for one at the moment and best price I can find is in the mid-$300's...(even on Ebay!)

Call Full Compass. They should give you a price of $249 or so over the phone. Got mine there for that about a year ago.

Tough question....

If you forced me to choose, for under $200 (new retail)......only choosing from the mics I have actually owned.....

EV ND967
Apex 210 ribbon

Back