Least expensive must-have mic

junplugged said:
i record my acoustic guitar a lot and always have a mxl 991 (603s) set up and ready to go, it makes the quick ideas useable later

Any tips on how to use the 603s. I have a pair of them, but I usually only use them as drum overheads. I haven't really liked them on my guitar, but that's probably because my guitar isn't very good, so it sounds better with an LDC.

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
You got a GT44 for less than $200?

Yes. $189 about 1 year ago. GC was having a blowout. If I knew they were to be a totally different class of mic (irreplaceable on many sources) I would have bought 4.

Oh well, I screwed up.

sm57 (x4)..

$50-65 a pop.

2nd choice- Audix i5, $100, cant get them used really for any worthwhile savings..

3rd choice- nady starpower 9, yep thats right! my go-to mic for all talkback uses, pretty solid if i need to throw a nail up for a new set of headphones, also good as a spacer when i'm putting something new in the rack.

MCI2424 said:
Yes. $189 about 1 year ago. GC was having a blowout. If I knew they were to be a totally different class of mic (irreplaceable on many sources) I would have bought 4.

Oh well, I screwed up.
Fantastic deal.

tnjazz said:
You got an M88 for $200? Score! I'm looking for one at the moment and best price I can find is in the mid-$300's...(even on Ebay!)

$210 used after I posted a WTB thread here.

TragikRemix said:
sm57 (x4)..

$50-65 a pop.

2nd choice- Audix i5, $100, cant get them used really for any worthwhile savings..

3rd choice- nady starpower 9, yep thats right! my go-to mic for all talkback uses, pretty solid if i need to throw a nail up for a new set of headphones, also good as a spacer when i'm putting something new in the rack.

Where are you getting 57s for $50-65?

I tried an mxl 67G the other day. It totally blew me away.

Other than that, there's a lot of good audio-technica stuff out there for under $200. The AT3035's are going cheap on ebay these days ($140 BIN), and I scored an AT4033 classic off of someone in the B/S/T forums for $125 I think. That was lucky though.

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
A mic I'd hate to go without having had one for a while now is the EV 635a (dynamic omni).

£40 (about $75) on ebay.

I landed one of those for $35 (used) but have not played around with it very much. I tried using it as a stage vocal mic when two of us had to sing through the same mic but we had some feedback problems (although I'm not convinced it was caused by this mic).

How are you using it?

Re:

SM57's. I must have around 6-8 of them.... Work good for live PA vocals too because they reject feedback pretty good too....

Caotico said:
Any tips on how to use the 603s. I have a pair of them, but I usually only use them as drum overheads. I haven't really liked them on my guitar, but that's probably because my guitar isn't very good, so it sounds better with an LDC.

I could be wrong here, so anyone else feel free to chime in on this one. Its all preference anyway. You can aim the MXL 603 directly at the guitar at the beginning of the neck. Like kinda between the 12th fret and the soundhole. Then I would recommend maybe a large diaphram condensor to the lower backend of the body of the guitar. Kinda where the strap button is but down lower. If you were looking at someone holding your guitar, imagine that the strap pin is at the 9 o'clock mark and the large diaphragm condenser would be like between the 7 and 8 . Kinda angled upward towards that large region of the guitar. I guess kinda to pick up the lower bassiness.

The best way to figure it out is to have someone play your guitar and actually get down there with your own set of ears and sort of move around the body of the guitar and find what YOU like the best. The person playing the guitar may look at you like you are a madman, but whatever gets you the sound that you crave.

dmbfan1981 said:
I could be wrong here, so anyone else feel free to chime in on this one. Its all preference anyway. You can aim the MXL 603 directly at the guitar at the beginning of the neck. Like kinda between the 12th fret and the soundhole. Then I would recommend maybe a large diaphram condensor to the lower backend of the body of the guitar. Kinda where the strap button is but down lower. If you were looking at someone holding your guitar, imagine that the strap pin is at the 9 o'clock mark and the large diaphragm condenser would be like between the 7 and 8 . Kinda angled upward towards that large region of the guitar. I guess kinda to pick up the lower bassiness.

The best way to figure it out is to have someone play your guitar and actually get down there with your own set of ears and sort of move around the body of the guitar and find what YOU like the best. The person playing the guitar may look at you like you are a madman, but whatever gets you the sound that you crave.
Well, that's not what Dave Matthews does..... (oops)

Last edited:
EddieRay said:
I landed one of those for $35 (used) but have not played around with it very much. I tried using it as a stage vocal mic when two of us had to sing through the same mic but we had some feedback problems (although I'm not convinced it was caused by this mic).

How are you using it?
It might well have been the mic, the 635A is omni directional.

I've used it for vocals, guitar amps, as a mono drum overhead, acoustic guitar (in conjunction with an SDC).

It's a great mic.

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
It might well have been the mic, the 635A is omni directional.

I've used it for vocals, guitar amps, as a mono drum overhead, acoustic guitar (in conjunction with an SDC).

It's a great mic.

I have one that's all beat up to hell and back but sounds really good to my ears. I don't have any nice pre's but I'll bet it would sound great thru a nice pre.

TravisinFlorida said:
I have one that's all beat up to hell and back but sounds really good to my ears. I don't have any nice pre's but I'll bet it would sound great thru a nice pre.
Mine's pretty old but it's in good shape, it certainly is a 'rugged' mic. :D

I've used it through a couple of pretty decent home made pres, it's a great sounding mic given what it costs.

Back