Just got a pair of Rokit 5's and they sound like...

im sitting in a pool of blood right now!
rockon.gif

I've been through my entire CD collection in search of something that sounds ok, Strokes, Interpol, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Crowded House, Pixies etc...all types of stuff and everthing just sounds so boxed in and muddy.

Umm, The Strokes ( except "You only live once" ) mixes have never sounded tight and all those other artists you mentioned were pre loudness wars pre modern mixing era bands. Not sure if even AC/DC rolled off the bass in the rhythm gt's to the degree modern mixes do.

Can you chuck on some dance or modern Foos and crank it ? Thats a test for wobble.

If you play some Nickleback and the ear fatigue doesnt immediately kick in with it's multiband tightness and head splittingly harsh highs...then something is amiss.

Guys thanks for all the replies. Regarding connectivity I'm using RCA (phono on back of guitarport) to TRS 1/4" balanced on the back of the monitors. Currently the speakers are placed directly on the table, admittingly this is not ideal (they do have a rubber pad on the bottom which helps a liitle) but then so where my old speakers.

By the way, I'm all for getting the best out of the KRK's before I make my mind up.

Thanks guys.

Guys thanks for all the replies. Regarding connectivity I'm using RCA (phono on back of guitarport) to TRS 1/4" balanced on the back of the monitors. Currently the speakers are placed directly on the table, admittingly this is not ideal (they do have a rubber pad on the bottom which helps a liitle) but then so where my old speakers.

By the way, I'm all for getting the best out of the KRK's before I make my mind up.

Thanks guys.

Isnt Guitar Port just a front end ? So if you are trying to use it as a stand alone sound card you may be facing the usual difficulties line 6 throws at you - like the need for Pod Farm to be running and this may be processing your output in some way. Can you check your internal routing ? Can you run a signal straight from your computer ?

Isnt Guitar Port just a front end ? So if you are trying to use it as a stand alone sound card you may be facing the usual difficulties line 6 throws at you - like the need for Pod Farm to be running and this may be processing your output in some way. Can you check your internal routing ? Can you run a signal straight from your computer ?

No there's no need for Pod Farm to run, Guitarport just acts as any other USB audio interface. All internal routes in system preferences (on a Mac) are set to use Guitarport as the input/output sources. Haven't even booted up my DAW yet as i want to adjust to the speakers before i record anything.

I was wondering about the Phono > TRS connection, but i'm sure that's a pretty standard connection.

By the way i have the HF Level Adjust set to +1db, it's ridiculous on any other setting.

Can you just try to bypass the Guitarport anyway ? :p

1/8 inch to RCA cable with some RCA to 1/4 inch mono plugs if needed.

Either that Tweak guy is taking bribes or something is amiss with your particular pair or setup.

KRK RP5G2 Rokit G2 Powered 2-Way Active Monitor
The KRK RP5G2 Rokit G2 Powered Studio Monitor takes this KRK design to new heights. All of the great stuff that Rokit's have been known for including front-firing bass port, soft-domed tweeter, glass aramid composite yellow cone are still there, but the G2 Rokit's feature refined voicing and a new curved baffle that looks great, reduces diffraction and provides even better monitoring accuracy. Tweak: Surprising bass, and even more surprising, its not tubby like a lot of 5's. Great starter monitors.

Interestingly Tweak finds the M-Audio BX5A's a bit tubby.

Last edited:
Can you just try to bypass the Guitarport anyway ? :p

1/8 inch to RCA cable with some RCA to 1/4 inch mono plugs if needed.

I can give that a go as soon as i get home from work, i have a 1/8" (computer output) to 1/4" Mono Jack cable lying around somewhere.

The problem where i live in the UK is there aren't any Music shops that carry the stock, so auditioning is difficult, hence why i often end up making my purchases based on reading hours of user and professional reviews, which aren't always accurate for one reason or another. I just go with what the majority of opinions say, and hope it works for me.

Just had a read through some of the reviews on Tweak (zzounds.com) and found this one. Sounds much like what i was thinking.
(Thanks for posting the link CFox!)

Quality:
Very solid and looks great. Strong mid-range drivers doesn't seem very vulnerable to damage.

Value:
There aren't many $300 options out there so I'm going to have to say that these are an okay value. I've heard the M-Audio BX5A compared to these and if I can go back I would get those instead.

Sound:
I would describe these as being very creamy sounding, as weird as I put it but that's what comes to mind. It's very easy on the ears. My only problem really is that it sounds quite like a muffled sound compared to many other monitors I've heard. I'm definitely going to invest in bass traps for my room because these have a heavy bass response

Yep, I saw that single entry amongst all the praise, did you notice how Tweak thinks that the reviewers preferred option ( M-Audio ) is a bit tubby ? That's why you have to audition first even if it means a trip to a major city.

Don't be disheartened, if you want to return them and can't they still seem to hold value on eBay, which in itself should be an indicator of quality. I suggest you get the behri's ( the 20's not the 40's ) and some decent headphones. Despite what people say, the bass is not the most important part of a mix and its easy to work with using headphones ( as you dont require stereo field ) , the most important part of the mix is everything above the bass. You should roll bass off ( around 110 Hz ) everything that isnt kick and bass anyway if its a tight mix you are after. Everyone gabs on about 8's but when do you realistically get to crank them without the police at your door with a noise complaint ? Small to mid nearfields and headphones are fine.

Or... it could be the way the KRK's are interacting with your room. Check out the peaks and troughs in this guys room test.

Room measurement mic

I consider myself quite lucky, just spoke to the retailer and they are happy to take them back. I'm going to have a mess around and connect them directly to the computer first and see what results that brings. I might even move things to another room to hear the difference.

Cheers Guys! :)

Back