Just got a pair of Rokit 5's and they sound like...

Also only 2 feet away from the speakers seems like you may not be in the sweet spot.

I know room size and ergonomics play into how people set up their mixing position...and you may not always be able to get things in the ideal position, but it can make a big difference if the monitors are not well placed.

Yes...the equilateral triangle is key, but the size of the triangle is also important. You really need about 5' to 6' triangle sides. One room designer uses a 67.5" length as the perfect size for the equilateral sides.
Once you have that set...the front of the speakers should be at least 1.5'-2' away from the front wall (further is even better)...which means your desk might also need to be moved far enough away so that when you sit, you are still close enough to the desk and at the apex of that equilateral triangle instead of way inside or outside of it.
With traditional analog mixing consoles, it's not hard to achieve that wider/bigger spread due to the size of even smaller analog consoles....but these days people are using tiny control surfaces or just their computer keyboards on their desk tops...so everything becomes squished together into compact little mixing areas.

Height also needs to be right so that the midpoint between tweeter and speaker is the same as you ears.
Then of course there is the overall room sound that plays into it...but all that said, sometimes the monitors DO just suck. :)
I find many smaller monitors with smaller speakers tend to NOT do the low end very well, but then a lot of it is personal taste.

This place is called home recording right?

Now I need a room exactly this big? Monitors exactly this far apart? A huge mixing console with an endorsement from Tiger Woods. 8 million dollar mics, Martin Logan monitors, must cost at least 10 grand, or else don't bother?

I think I came to the wrong place.

Now I need a room exactly this big? Monitors exactly this far apart? A huge mixing console with an endorsement from Tiger Woods. 8 million dollar mics, Martin Logan monitors, must cost at least 10 grand, or else don't bother?

No, you didn't come to the wrong place. But your observation is spot on. It's too easy for the old-timers, pro's, experts (whatever you wanna call 'em) to forget about the continuum.

What is the continuum you ask? Thanks for asking!

We all start somewhere. And as much we'd all love to have a great room with top notch gear, that's not where we start. Hell, that's not where most of us end up! The point of home recording is to make the most of what we have--even when all we have is a little.

I've got a studio that would make most folks drool. But some of my recordings from years ago are still okay to my ears. Why? Thanks for asking again! Because the song was good. Because I played with some passion. Because I was motivated.

Don't get me wrong: there's lots of obnoxious, demanding, unrealistic folks who think they deserve pro sounding tracks because they have a laptop and a USB mic. That ain't happenin' and I'm not adverse to telling them so.

But the vast majority of folks just wanna get started. We should more about encouraging them to jump on into the racket of recording, however simply that may be, and let them learn and grow. Too often we're about discouraging them--telling them all the reasons they can't do it.

So welcome, and stick around. I for one won't hold it against you if your board isn't endorsed by Tiger Woods! :)

No one is saying that anyone *needs* anything -- We're saying that "if you don't want to make excuses then you're going to need..."

Not every aspiring race car driver can afford a Ferrari - But he should understand that his Chevy, while a fine and decent car, isn't going to top 190MPH on a curve.

It's here all the time - "How do I get professional results with..." and "Why don't my mixes done with $200 monitors sound like..."

There are realistic expectations and unrealistic expectations. And if someone can't hear the complete range accurately and consistently, he shouldn't even have expectations. All other things being equal, the monitoring chain is the deciding factor - of everything. Every single sonic decision made from mic selection and placement through the finished mix is based on how your monitoring translates to your brain.

No one is saying that anyone *needs* anything -- We're saying that "if you don't want to make excuses then you're going to need..."

Not every aspiring race car driver can afford a Ferrari - But he should understand that his Chevy, while a fine and decent car, isn't going to top 190MPH on a curve.

It's here all the time - "How do I get professional results with..." and "Why don't my mixes done with $200 monitors sound like..."

There are realistic expectations and unrealistic expectations. And if someone can't hear the complete range accurately and consistently, he shouldn't even have expectations. All other things being equal, the monitoring chain is the deciding factor - of everything. Every single sonic decision made from mic selection and placement through the finished mix is based on how your monitoring translates to your brain.

This is the newbie forum. I suggest you cease posting here. Condescension encourages nobody.

I also love how you say 'we're saying'. The only one saying it is you.

:D
It’s not that drastic!

Look...there's optimum gear and setups, and then there's everything else.
Like I said in my previous post, your own room size, ergonomics (and budget) will ultimately dictate how close you can get to the optimum target.
While it's true that most of us will never be able to recreate a world class studio in our spare bedrooms and basements...
...it's still good to at least know and see the optimum target, otherwise how can you tell if you are even hitting close to it?

AFA this being "home recording"...yes, absolutely. This is certainly not a top end pro studio hangout for the most part...BUT...the laws of physics and acoustics make no adjustments for that. They apply the same way in the home studio as they do in the pro studio, and the reality is that in the "home recording" environment you probably have to work 5-times harder than they do in the pro studio, so every little bit that you can come closer to the optimum target by even doing the smallest adjustments to your home setup...can really help. Don’t view the optimum target as something negative and unrealistic. Use all that info to your advantage rather than pushing it aside just because you have a “home” studio and you maybe thinking it doesn’t apply.
It does.

Good luck with your monitor chase…

I'll believe you that they are that bad, but, they shouldn't be. Not to question your abilities, but is it possible you have them hooked up incorrectly. Could you have a low pass filter on so it's only letting the mud through? Also, you mentioned listening to a bunch of music. How and on what player?

It just sounds like there is more wrong than just the monitors sounding bad.

my 2 cents..

Coming out and saying the krk 5's suck is just pure BS. You have to keep in mind that people are working within budgets. I would say that more than 90% of the people here are working in less than perfect conditions. Its not realistic to think that everyone is going to dedicate a room, do all of the sound treatments, spend thousands on monitors etc. just for a hobby. Just as long as the user is enjoying creating music that's all that matters. Period.

You can do anything you want, but when you ask why you don't get the results the big guys get, the answer is generally that the big guys have better equipment, better rooms and more experience.

For example: If you have your speakers stacked on top of each other and you are in a 4 foot by 6 foot glass room, that might be why your stereo image sucks and every thing sounds really bright.
What would be your suggestion to fix the problem? (presumably without setting up the speakers properly and treating the reflective surfaces of the room, because this is 'home recording')

This is the newbie forum. I suggest you cease posting here. Condescension encourages nobody.

Condescension...? I'm encouraging the avoidance of a sub-par monitoring chain and explaining the paramount importance of quality monitoring. I'm not saying "my monitors are better than yours" -- I'm explaining that the "muddy and two-dimensional sound" of the KRK 5's is normal - and obviously, the OP's ears are refined enough to notice.

Here's a newsflash -- My "B" system is a pair of Hafler M5 Reference Monitors. Reasonably highly regarded before Hafler stopped manufacturing speakers, running them off a Bryston amplifier being fed by a Crane Song DA. And you know what? They suck. They sound horrible. Boxy, muddy, two-dimensional (surprisingly good center image though), small, limited range, short-throw, narrow dispersion, etc., etc., etc.

I keep them in here to occasionally flip over to see how a project will translate to "small, crappy speakers" - That's what small, crappy speakers (even those that say "STUDIO MONITOR" or "REFERENCE SERIES") are good for.

NS10's didn't become so popular because they actually sounded good... They sounded like crap before Yamaha put the "STUDIO MONITOR" stickers on them and they continued to sound like crap. But they consistently sounded like crap in just about any room you'd stick them in. Then for 10 years, all the "newbs" are wondering why they're not getting "pro" results through these speakers that "all the pros use" -- They weren't using them as mains. They were checking their mixes on the "small, crappy speakers."

It's not condescending to suggest that people not rely on such speakers. I understand there are budgets. I'm suggesting an alternate approach.

You can do anything you want, but when you ask why you don't get the results the big guys get, the answer is generally that the big guys have better equipment, better rooms and more experience.

For example: If you have your speakers stacked on top of each other and you are in a 4 foot by 6 foot glass room, that might be why your stereo image sucks and every thing sounds really bright.
What would be your suggestion to fix the problem? (presumably without setting up the speakers properly and treating the reflective surfaces of the room, because this is 'home recording')

This is about as retarded as it gets! No where in the ops post did he ask why he didn't get the results the big guys get. He just asked a simple question about some new monitors he just bought. Then you vommit out some dribble about 4x6 glass room and speakers stacked on top of each other..blah...blah...blah!

IF you are actually a professional, why don't you try to give helpful answers instead of blowing air out your ass. Your answer served no purpose other than to stroke your own ego. Let's have a show of hands, who's impressed!!

No, I'd definitely second what he said. Cheers :D

This is about as retarded as it gets! No where in the ops post did he ask why he didn't get the results the big guys get. He just asked a simple question about some new monitors he just bought. Then you vommit out some dribble about 4x6 glass room and speakers stacked on top of each other..blah...blah...blah!

IF you are actually a professional, why don't you try to give helpful answers instead of blowing air out your ass. Your answer served no purpose other than to stroke your own ego. Let's have a show of hands, who's impressed!!

He wasn't talking to the OP in his post...
Just trying to help avoid unnecessary conflict :)

my monitors are so loud I have to wear ear plugs when I mix...fucking rockin!

thats what you want..the loudest monitors!
smiley-rock-on.gif

Its humbling to admit I cant mix in a real pro studio, I only had the money to do it a few times with the same basic results. Too much bass, no real punchy mids, almost no reverb. While the mixes sounded awesome in the studio, they were unusable on a boom box or car stereo. I might do better now because I know some standard settings that will always translate. So I mix on crappy monitors then switch between 15$ computer speakers and headphones. It would be interesting to play the home mixes on some high end gear and hear what sounds wrong there. It sure is tricky!

Massive Master: what (models) do you consider a decent small monitor. (no bigger than an 8" woofer, 6 even better) if there is such a thing.

Back