Joey's version of Marillion's "Kayleigh"

joeym

I don't usually do covers except maybe the occasional collab.......
but since my daughter was named after this song, I thought I'd record it for my wife. It was and still remains a great song. This is a first mix, so if you think there's anything I should fix, i'd appreciate the comments. Thanks!

Joey :)

Kayleigh_mp3.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

===================================================================================================

NEW MIX 3.19.12 : http://www.box.com/s/8bdf95666b45f405fbfa

Last edited:
HA! I remember this tune. Love your voice man. Perfect for this type of tune.

Yo, Joey. Good to hear more of you stuff!

Initial thoughts are pretty much that you'll never stop rockin' it. My only nits are some of the drum fill patterns seem a bit forced. Mix-wise, it took me listening to this on some of my harsher headphones pretty loud to notice that there is a freq there that needs taming (probably on the master bus.. Seems to be in the vocals and drums, not so much the guitars.) Most likely around the 1.8K - 2.5K range somewhere... Scoop a bit out of there, and I think you'd have it. I'm tempted to do it myself to find it. I'll see if I have time.

Great tune, dude. I love your songs. Thanks for sharing, Joey!

Love the dual leads Joe - I noticed a whammy bar - Strat? I need to incorporate that someday lol...

Well-played, but neither really respecting the track nor doing anything different with it, either. I'd've preferred a more open, warm treatment of the song rather than this saturated sub-metal mix.

Well-played, but neither really respecting the track nor doing anything different with it, either. I'd've preferred a more open, warm treatment of the song rather than this saturated sub-metal mix.

Who said anything about respecting the track? It's a song I like and this is my rendition of it. And yes it's metal which is the way I want it to be. Obviously not your music.

Yo, Joey. Good to hear more of you stuff!

Initial thoughts are pretty much that you'll never stop rockin' it. My only nits are some of the drum fill patterns seem a bit forced. Mix-wise, it took me listening to this on some of my harsher headphones pretty loud to notice that there is a freq there that needs taming (probably on the master bus.. Seems to be in the vocals and drums, not so much the guitars.) Most likely around the 1.8K - 2.5K range somewhere... Scoop a bit out of there, and I think you'd have it. I'm tempted to do it myself to find it. I'll see if I have time.
Great tune, dude. I love your songs. Thanks for sharing, Joey!

Thanx for the tips Jason!
I'll be mixing again anyway. Damn, I wonder what picked the click up, must have been one of the rythm guitar pick-ups, 'cos I used the monitors for playback, not my phones. Regarding that frequency, I'll have to check the individual tracks, because there's no EQing on the master bus. I'll tackle those drum-fills too, they seem a bit too bumpy. Appreciate your professional feedback, buddy! :)

Love the dual leads Joe - I noticed a whammy bar - Strat? I need to incorporate that someday lol...

Hey Gerry! Yeah it's my ESP vintage Strat. It's the one I use most for leads, 'cos it's got a great neck.
Thanx for the comment!

My missus loves this song. I prefer your version as I figured the original was a little too restrained. They probably played it tougher live, (at least I hope so).
I'm listening with a pair of sennheisers & think I can hear that freq PI mentioned or it some sort of high rattly thing in my head.
I quite like the click out at the end - sounds like a clock - is cool.
I bet you enjoyed raging through this & giving it the toughener.
I really like your bass tone (always have) & the guitars - well, I've often wondered why you get others in for solos etc as you really have excellent chops.
I look forward to the tweaks.
Well done & I'm sure the little lady will have enjoyed hearing her old man belt out her name.

Who said anything about respecting the track? It's a song I like and this is my rendition of it. And yes it's metal which is the way I want it to be. Obviously not your music.

Sorry about that Joey - I must've been pissed off about something else last night. I didn't mean that to sound as harsh as it did.

Sorry about that Joey - I must've been pissed off about something else last night. I didn't mean that to sound as harsh as it did.
I think you had just finished posting in the other guy's thread with "home organ demo". That would ruin my day too. :D

No problem man, everyone's entitled to his own opinion. I was pretty hard on ya too.....;)

My missus loves this song. I prefer your version as I figured the original was a little too restrained. They probably played it tougher live, (at least I hope so).
I'm listening with a pair of sennheisers & think I can hear that freq PI mentioned or it some sort of high rattly thing in my head.
I quite like the click out at the end - sounds like a clock - is cool.
I bet you enjoyed raging through this & giving it the toughener.
I really like your bass tone (always have) & the guitars - well, I've often wondered why you get others in for solos etc as you really have excellent chops.
I look forward to the tweaks.
Well done & I'm sure the little lady will have enjoyed hearing her old man belt out her name.

Yeah, my Kayleigh loved it, Ray.:)
Actually I'm gonna let the guys in my band have a go at the solo, 'cos we'll probably be including this in our set. But I am quite happy with the way mine turned out.
Thanx for the comments!

Sounds pretty good Joey. I don't know the original, so to me it sounds like it could be one of your own tunes. Only mix comments I have on the first listen are the hats are a little loud and the vocals aren't loud enough. Bring em up a hair.

Sounds pretty good Joey. I don't know the original, so to me it sounds like it could be one of your own tunes. Only mix comments I have on the first listen are the hats are a little loud and the vocals aren't loud enough. Bring em up a hair.

Hey there, bro!
Here's a new mix:
Kayleigh_2_mp3.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

This one should sound a bit more homogenic (whatever that means....:rolleyes:)
I heard you and our mutual scottish friend had some fun time down where you are....wish I'd been there too.;):D:drunk:

Yup. Better. :)

Yeah me and kcearl had a super secret man love rendezvous here in houston. Well, we had beer and pizza at least. :D

Back