I've got one mp3 with SansAmp sounds

Hi Speedo,

Yeah, I listened to those new POD XT sound samples on the Line6 site also, and I was actually rather dissapointed, except for the "acoustic" amp setting which was kinda good.

But, I suppose.....we can't really go by factory presets in a "Lo Fi" streaming format - right! :)

I will DEMO the Replitone MP as soon as I can get my mitts on it. I'm real interested to see IF Rocktron have come up with a decent unit...I guess they should have by now, considering that it was "them" who actually invented amp modeling (and not Line6) some 15 years ago....

The GT2 tones are very "synthetic" IMHO....just like those Sans Amp BOSTON guitarzzz of the late 70's......nice for some tunes of course, but not generally used in today's music scene...

I personally need/require a much 'warmer' fuller tonal quality than that.

Hey nice ASS in your Avatar pic - looks like YOU'VE had a recent sex chage there Speedy :) Either that, or you must be one of those Dutch babes - posing as a guy - LOL!!!!

cheers

KEV

Charger - Yeah, SansAmp does have a characteristic tone. For me, it reacts more naturally than any other modeler, but a mic'ed amp still is more versatile. Adding a separate speaker sim does help. And yeah, Maiden is just damn good. :cool:

Kev - (Oooh. Rammstein tones!) That's a bummer about all the noise. My PSA-1 can get noisey at extremely high gain settings, but I've never had a problem with the GT2. The only noise I get is from my computer CRT, which I get through all my amps.

You may be right about the warmth of the GT2. One thing I love about the GT2 is that it gives me great screaming Marshall and bright Fender tones. For fuller and warmer tones, I use my Boogies.

Speedy - You're just starting to get old Lynch? Oooh. Back for the Attack rocks. The solo from Cry of the Gypsy gives me impure thoughts about your avatar. :p

Lopp said:

Speedy - You're just starting to get old Lynch? Oooh. Back for the Attack rocks. The solo from Cry of the Gypsy gives me impure thoughts about your avatar. :p

yeah baby yeah!!!! that album/cd/whatever was full of kick ass solos.. and of course Mr. Scary... spooooooooooky. Damn, I'm glad I kept all of my old shredder recordings! Too bad my chops went the way of the mullet, though. :rolleyes:

JR#97 said:
and of course Mr. Scary... spooooooooooky.

That's just a given. ;)

The funny thing is with all the kick ass solos and chops, George's tone was very thin and abrasive. However, it sounded perfect for what he was doing.

hey Lopp, I recently gave my GT-2 away to a friend of mine.. It was his birthday and I needed a gift quick.. My plan was to get the Tri A.C. because I thought it would sound better.. It doesn't.. I should have given him the Tri A.C. and kept the GT-2! :mad:

It is very similar, but I think the GT-2 sounded better..:(

I'll find a use for it though.. Just figured I'd share that one..

Hey OZFest :)

Do YOU get much "noise" with that GT@ of yours?

I demo'd a unit at home, and I couldn't get a "quiet" signal no matter what I tried it with.

I used it with my POD 2.3, a flextone II amp, a Marshall Head, and even straight into the OMNI Studio sound card, and each time I got a whole lotta earth hum/buzz, even tried it in three different rooms too.

I had to take it back to the store, coz it was just NO good.

Some of the 'tones' sounded pretty good though, but I just couldn't appreciate 'em with all that backround noise..

Then when I returned it...the guys at the music store said
"oh yeah, the GT2 is rather "noisy" for recording, it' mainly a "live" unit.....which I thought was kinda OFF, coz that's NOT what it says on the Tech21 website...

What gives???

KEV

Re: I'VE GOT A RELATED QUESTION:

GONZO-X said:
how close would, say, a tech21 trademark 10 come to the same sounds?

It appears to have the exact same preamp as the GT2. At least all the tone modifying switches are verbatim along with an extra EQ knob. While I haven't A/B'ed both, it seems they would sound the same when run direct. Even better, you can mic the TM10 to get even better tones.

Sam,
Bummer about the GT2. I was always curious about the TriAC as it appeared to be a simplified GT2. Now I won't bother with it. Thanks for the info.

Kev,
Further to my other comments about your GT2 experience, you could try plugging into the GT2 at the shop to be sure you aren't having any interference probs. The GT2 is pretty damn quiet in my studio, even at high gain settings.

I have no clue why the shop guys said the GT2 is mainly for live performance. I'll use it live, but only when I can't bring my own amp. Otherwise, it's the best direct recording unit I've ever used.

Btw, was it you looking for Yngwie sweeps?

B.SABBATH said:
hey Lopp, I recently gave my GT-2 away to a friend of mine.. It was his birthday and I needed a gift quick.. My plan was to get the Tri A.C. because I thought it would sound better.. It doesn't.. I should have given him the Tri A.C. and kept the GT-2! :mad:

It is very similar, but I think the GT-2 sounded better..:(

I'll find a use for it though.. Just figured I'd share that one..

Interesting... I thought the Tri-AC sounded better than the GT2. Especially on the Fender tones. The Marshall settings can be a bit tricky because of the bright circuit or whatever they call it. The Sansamp Original is still the king though. It contains the GT2 and Tri-OD and then some.

Hi Loppy,

Nah, I wasn't looking for Yngwie arpegio sweeps (I have a couple of books full of em....I was just wanting to hear SPEEDY play some for us :)

I also tried the GT2 in the store as well, and guess what, it was even LOUDER "noise" wise, than at my place....

From reading the BBS sites, it seems that everybody has "different" experiences & opinons, etc on/with the SAME gear....

That's electronics for ya - I guess.

What's a really good drum machine I could buy - so I can make my own heavy rock drum loops, etc??????

Any suggestions?

cheers

KEV

Kevzmusic said:

What's a really good drum machine I could buy - so I can make my own heavy rock drum loops, etc??????

Any suggestions?

I can only speak from experience:

I have the Boss DR5 Dr. Rhythm, which has good drum tones and also provides up to 3 other accompanying instruments. It can be a bit of a pain to program entire songs, but fairly easy for loops.

I also have the Alesis DM5 which has even better drum tones. However, it's not a sequencer, so you'd have to program Cubase to trigger it.

I additionally have a Roland JV-1080 which I use for all my recent recordings. Not necessarily better drum tones than the DM5, just more convenient for me for other reasons. Again, you'd have to program Cubase or use an external sequencer to trigger it.

Personally, I prefer programming the drums in Cubase to triger a drum module.

Hi Loppy, Speedo, etc...

Here's a wee clip from my new tune called "Covenant Of The Knights" I did ALL the guitars on the POD 2.3

Lemme know what ya think,

Cheers,

KEV

Oooophs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just realized that the file is much too big for upload here :)
I'll stick it up on my music sites in a couple of days when I've completely finished the tune...

KEV

Ya gotta post that stuff on Nowhereradio.com. Lotsa people here don't like registering with a site.

Be that as it may, I'll probably check it out when I get home.

Cool stuff Kev. I can hear the Floyd-ish stuff in the intro. In fact, it hints of your "Nothing Fancy."

Interesting percussion in the second section (but it needs more kick drum, snare, and bass guitar to hint of Maiden :D ). Your worldly influences are showing ;) . Loops again or MIDI drums?

Hey Loppy,

Played all the instruments myself, except the drums...which were just some of the regular (1000 or so) DRUM LOOPS that I have saved over the past year.

I need to be able to make my own percussion tracks, so I guess I must get a drum machine or something similar like the Roland SC-8820, etc...soonish.

I never intended it to sound like Maiden in the 2nd half, it just turned out that way :-)

Glad you like it,

cheers,

KEV

Back