I've got one mp3 with SansAmp sounds

Lopp

Finally got the mp3 finished last night. For me, it was an exercise in dinking around with Cubase (because everything else I've ever finished was either on a VS-880 or in Cakewalk). For you, it's samples of hard rock/metal GT2 settings.

Yeah, it's a cover tune, but I thought Speed would like it.

Stats:

SansAmp GT2

Left channel:
Les Paul Studio
Settings:
Amp - California
Mod - Hi Gain
Mic - Center

Right channel:
Heartfield EX
Settings:
Amp - British
Mod - Hi Gain
Mic - Center

I was also going to record some Fender settings, but I got a blister on my finger dinking with fingerpicking. :rolleyes: :p

Matt

"The hand....that threatens ....doo-hooo-hhooomm!" :cool:

ROCK! Although you might want to back up the gain a bit, as it right now seems a bit over-saturated for basic Maiden stuff, but it sounds cool...
Lopp, what did you use for drums? You programmed MIDI parts that would trigger some samples? Sounds nice.

Love to hear some Priest and Motley Crue stuff from ya... ;)

"Coz I'm a live.... LIVE WIRE!!!!! -
Teh duh ku duh kuh duh
Teh duh ku duh kuh duh
Teh duh ku duh kuh duh kuh TAH DEH TAH DEH

:cool:

Hi Loppy....

That tune sounds good to me - the guitar 'tone's are nice, so is the driving rythym......it just needs a bit of Yngwie style killer lead cranked up over the top IMHO....audio quality was pretty cool too...

Got a question for ya...

I liked the opening drum rolls (loops?).....and I'm always on the lookout for good DRUM loops that I can use (coz I ain't no drummer myself :-).......I've got loads of percussion loops in my library.....BUT, to be honest most of the "rock" ones are rather lame and suck....not particulary powerful, or driving, etc......and I need more METAL based ones...with some nice, fast tempo crunch......

Got any idea where I can get my grubby little mitts on some great drum loops???????

Coz, I gotta find some...

"cheers mate"

KEV

Loppy...

Upon a 2nd & 3rd listen...I must say the audio quality is excellent at my end....what are you using for an audio card????

and did you mic the amp for recording, etc - or didja use a line in direct method...

Just curious???

KEV

Speeddemon said:
ROCK! Although you might want to back up the gain a bit, as it right now seems a bit over-saturated for basic Maiden stuff, but it sounds cool...

I agree. I like the tone, but it isn't perfect Maiden. Suprisingly, I only had the "Drive" knob at about 10:30 (don't ask AM or PM :p ).

Lopp, what did you use for drums? You programmed MIDI parts that would trigger some samples? Sounds nice.

All MIDI was sequenced through Cubase triggering a Roland JV-1080. Someone else programmed the drums. Excellent job with onlly a few errors (you may notice the high hat is being played during tom rolls or during a cymbal crash and a snare hit: a 3-armed drummer!).

Love to hear some Priest and Motley Crue stuff from ya... ;)

"Coz I'm a live.... LIVE WIRE!!!!! -
Teh duh ku duh kuh duh
Teh duh ku duh kuh duh
Teh duh ku duh kuh duh kuh TAH DEH TAH DEH

Are you taking lessons from StrongBad? :D

Wide Awake said:
Nice one Lopp

Thanks. It was fun to actually try to record someting as opposed to talking about it so much here. :)

Kevsmusic said:
That tune sounds good to me - the guitar 'tone's are nice, so is the driving rythym......it just needs a bit of Yngwie style killer lead cranked up over the top IMHO....audio quality was pretty cool too...

Thanks. I'll work on the Eng-wee arpeggios.

Got a question for ya...

I liked the opening drum rolls (loops?).....and I'm always on the lookout for good DRUM loops that I can use (coz I ain't no drummer myself :-).......I've got loads of percussion loops in my library.....BUT, to be honest most of the "rock" ones are rather lame and suck....not particulary powerful, or driving, etc......and I need more METAL based ones...with some nice, fast tempo crunch......

Got any idea where I can get my grubby little mitts on some great drum loops???????

If you actually sit down and program Niko's drum lines, you'll end up with awesome loops. ;)

Seriously, I'm not much of a drummer either and it takes me forever to program my original loops. Also, searching the web for good ones is a pain because you have to weed through or modify all the crappy ones. Thus, you're either stuck programming your own or modifying your existing crappy ones.

A decent source of samples helps. My JV-1080 isn't the best, but it does a decent enough job.

Upon a 2nd & 3rd listen...I must say the audio quality is excellent at my end....what are you using for an audio card????

Thanks again. There were a few things that helped the audio quality:

My Delta 66 is decent enough.
Cubase is good.
I mixed down externally from Cubase while keeping everything digital.
I did some mild mastering using a Finalizer Plus with multiband compression and limiting for a hotter final track.
The mp3 was ripped at 128kbps with a moderate ripper (adequate, but not the best).

and did you mic the amp for recording, etc - or didja use a line in direct method...

The guitars were directly recorded using the GT2. I may have added some mild reverb in Cubase.

Thanks for the comments all, hope you found the GT2 samples useful.

Loppy,

I think it would be great to run the GT2 into the POD.....set the POD to "tube pre amp", so as to bypass it's amp modelling function, and just use the POD's effects - like chorus/delay.....that should give one the few extra 'tones' that the POD actually lacks.....ie: that Metallica crunch, etc., etc..

Whatdaya think?

KEV

Kevzmusic said:
I think it would be great to run the GT2 into the POD.....set the POD to "tube pre amp", so as to bypass it's amp modelling function, and just use the POD's effects - like chorus/delay.....that should give one the few extra 'tones' that the POD actually lacks.....ie: that Metallica crunch, etc., etc..

That's a good idea. Especially because I'm not a big fan of the POD's preamp, but it could be useful to add more color and tones to the GT2. It would also be useful for enabling more speaker/cabinet models.

I think B. Sabbath has run the SansAmp through the POD with good results.

Anyone wanna donate a POD for me to perform such experiments? :D

YEAH!!! ONE OF MY FAVORITE MAIDEN TUNES!!!!!

Yup, that is definitely a G2. nice job lopp. I'll agree with the previous poster who said to back off on the gain. Maybe instead of 10:30, try 2 minutes PAST midnight... :D

I'll be posting my TriAC samples either today or tomorrow. You guys keep raising the bar! I thought it was just supposed to be samples of the emulators and not kick ass tunes! But first I need to go dig out Live After Death and bang my head for a while.

JR#97 said:
You guys keep raising the bar! I thought it was just supposed to be samples of the emulators and not kick ass tunes! But first I need to go dig out Live After Death and bang my head for a while.
I'm right now in the process of 'raising the bar' up to Dark Angel's "Time Does Not Heal"... How ya like that? ;)

Oh, KEV, I'm not much of a sweep arpeggio player, I can play them at moderate speed, but not Yngwie-style. My ultra-fast stuff sits in Iced Earth/Dark Angel rhythm guitars.

Hey Lopp, I've actually thought about writing down the 'song' that Strong Bad talks about in his 'guitar' e-mail.
With the 'jug jiggy jug jiggy JAH JAH..." rhythm, the 'meedley meedley meedley MEEEEEE!" hot lixx way upon the tiny strings :D and the "dow de dow DOW" bassline...

"And the Dragon comes in the NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHH!!!"

I really want to record some Maiden-stuff now too, but too bad my Cool Edit 2000 only can encode/amplify 60 seconds...
Does anyone know any FREE downloadable programs to amplify and encode mp3's with? (When I record it through my soundcard's line input, the level is way too low)

Lopp said:
I think B. Sabbath has run the SansAmp through the POD with good results.

yeah.. hit my www link and check out 'safety dance' or 'unwell.' They were done with the Sans into the Pod Pro, into a Blue Max compressor..

Lopp, that 2 minutes was very cool brother.. I was singing along to it very loudly as it was playing.. could be a cool collaboration idea eh? :D

JR#97, I tested it and re-did it. Now the link should be working, you'll only need to scroll way down and select either download, or play hi-fi or low-fi.

Edit: Oh, I added another song called "Lightning Warrior", very cheesy 80's hairmetal style (like Dokken). I think Lopp and Gidge will like it.
Lightning Warrior is the top of the list, Beat (Sh)it the bottom one:
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1875&alid=-1

Last edited:
JR#97 said:
nice job lopp. I'll agree with the previous poster who said to back off on the gain. Maybe instead of 10:30, try 2 minutes PAST midnight... :D

Thanks.
2 minutes past midnight? ;) That would increase the gain even more.

Looking forward to your TriAC samples.

Speedo said:
Hey Lopp, I've actually thought about writing down the 'song' that Strong Bad talks about in his 'guitar' e-mail.

Go for it! I was actually thinking the same thing, but probably wasn't going to act on it.

Does anyone know any FREE downloadable programs to amplify and encode mp3's with? (When I record it through my soundcard's line input, the level is way too low)

I use CDex which is free and has a good encoder, but I don't think it will amplify your signal. Try boosting the signal at the source. A limiter would also help to prevent clipping.

Sam Sabbath said:
Lopp, that 2 minutes was very cool brother.. I was singing along to it very loudly as it was playing.. could be a cool collaboration idea eh?

No doubt, for lack of a better one. However, it would almost be cooler to mess with an old Kiss, Zeppelin, or Sabbath tune. For me, it's hard to top the original recording of 'Minutes.

Speedy said:
check my new song "Beat (Sh)it"
I added another song called "Lightning Warrior"

Those were cool and much better recordings than your originals.

Excuse me while I go put on some spandex and practice my spider-like-Lynch poses... :p

Lopp said:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by JR#97
nice job lopp. I'll agree with the previous poster who said to back off on the gain. Maybe instead of 10:30, try 2 minutes PAST midnight...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.
2 minutes past midnight? ;) That would increase the gain even more.

Looking forward to your TriAC samples.

Yeah, I was just looking for a reason to say 2 minutes past midnight. Hurry up and get some psa-1 samples up.

JR#97 said:
Yeah, I was just looking for a reason to say 2 minutes past midnight.

I kinda figured. :)

Hurry up and get some psa-1 samples up.

That might not happen any time soon because I keep the PSA-1 at rehearsal with my live equipment.

I love when Bruce Dickinson sings "your children torn in two".

You got a very accurate sound. At the same time it really has that SansAmp sound, which is just a little crunchier and more "present" than the real thing. I have at various times owned a SansAmp classic, GT2, and PSA1, and I've always had trouble getting any roominess or life out of them direct. Running the PSA1 through the pod on a clean amp, like the Marshall Plexi or JTM on very low gain, then running through the cabinets til I find something I like usually works. An even better solution might be to use a cabinet simulator like the ADA MicroCab or whatever else is out there, I'm sure there are a bunch I've never heard of.

Anyway good sound, you just inspired me to go put on some Maiden, because dammit, the songs are just good.

Hi Matt,

I popped down to my local guitar store and got me one of those GT2's for a demo....(they're good folks, they always let me take gear home to check out :)

Anyway, I dunno If I have a DUD!!!, but I just can't stop this sucker from BUZZING/HUMMING like hell.

I've tried it into 2 different POD's...
Into a Flextone II amp
Into a Marshall 100W head w 4 x12 cab.
and all by itself straight into my OMNI Studio w/Delta sound card...

and in ALL situations I get this awful earth buzz/hum, even tried it in different rooms........

However, I did play with the settings, tones. etc., for a coupe of hours. despite the annoying background noise regardless....and managed to obtain some crunchy sounds with WILD gain & distortion, etc......

BUT, I must say...that apart from perhaps 2-3 settings - there isn't that much diffference between the 'tones' in each group.

I liked a couple of the real HEAVY Rammstien kinda tones...but apart from that - I think I still prefer the POD by itself, for overall "tone' range, quality, etc...

KEV

KEV, I think you should a/b the Rocktron Replitone with the new Line6 PODxt.
I listened to the samples of the PODxt and the heavy stuff still sounded a tad artificial, but that Tweed amp sounded REALLY REAL!
Maybe I post some more short Genesis 3 songs...
I've been downloading a lot of Dokken the last few days, and I really dig George Lynch's style... It kinda resembles me in my future days... :D

Back