Is there any song subject matter that you find hard to listen to ?

I only find christian music offensive because it's never, ever any fucking good.

Amen.

I find the peace and love stuff very offensive

Check out the band "disciple".
They have a song "3,2,1" that's really cool.
It would shock me if you didn't think their music was any good.
Its alot more hard edged than any other Christian rock I've ever heard.
They are balls to the wall hard rock

Are you a Christian saying you find peace and love 'offensive'? :D

Prepare to be shocked because I think that shit is horrible.

Amen!

So, you only like punk rock?
I really like the Ramones and some of the sex pistols music.

That being said disciple ...in my opinion... Would mop the floor with either of those bands in terms of musicianship and talent.
The Ramones had more stage presence, raw power, and originality though.
It does surprise me that you don't like disciple though

Amen.

Are you a Christian saying you find peace and love 'offensive'? :D

Amen!

I don't like the hippie idiotic communist "all you need is love" drug induced pie in the sky false pipe dream version of peace and love music.

It's nauseating

If you read the thread you will see that I went on to say that it dosen't really offend me but I don't care for it.
Yes, I'm a Christian.

So, you only like punk rock?
No, not only. But mostly.

That being said disciple ...in my opinion... Would mop the floor with either of those bands in terms of musicianship and talent.
Yeah, probably. Lots of bands are better musicians than the Ramones or Pistols. Hell, I'm a better musician than anyone in the Ramones or Sex Pistols. And? What does that matter exactly? The Ramones and Pistols are legends. They mattered. They left a big ol mark. Who's gonna be talking about Disciple in 40 years? So really, what does that say for musicianship?
It does surprise me that you don't like disciple though
I gave it a listen because you suggested it. That mainstream radio generic Godsmack modern rock style just isn't my thing.

I don't dislike it because it's christian. That doesn't matter to me. They can sing about God, satan, nazis, french fries, whatever.I don't care. I dislike it because I think it's phony and lame.

No, not only. But mostly.

Yeah, probably. Lots of bands are better musicians than the Ramones or Pistols. Hell, I'm a better musician than anyone in the Ramones or Sex Pistols. And? What does that matter exactly? The Ramones and Pistols are legends. They mattered. They left a big ol mark. Who's gonna be talking about Disciple in 40 years? So really, what does that say for musicianship?

I gave it a listen because you suggested it. That mainstream radio generic Godsmack modern rock style just isn't my thing.

I don't dislike it because it's christian. That doesn't matter to me. They can sing about God, satan, nazis, french fries, whatever.I don't care. I dislike it because I think it's phony and lame.

I can appreciate that.
I have thought a lot of music was lame through the years. I liked the Ramones when they hit... Even though I was into the Allman brothers, skynyrd, Hendrix, Trower, and blues. I thought "the musicianship is rudimentary but it's powerful and grooves nonetheless. The sex pistols wouldn't make a pimple on the Ramones ass in terms of music but they had some great song ideas and the right attitude. New wave music was the lamest piss poor excuse for music I've ever experienced. I hated it passionately. I hated disco too because of the hoakey lameness. I turned to country music which was very good in the late 70's thru out the early 80's.
Now country, soul, pop, rock, and punk suck tremendously.
Music is in the sorriest state it's been ever been in my lifetime.

There is very little that dosen't make me want to puke

I don't like the hippie idiotic communist "all you need is love" drug induced pie in the sky false pipe dream version of peace and love music.

It's nauseating

If you read the thread you will see that I went on to say that it dosen't really offend me but I don't care for it.
Yes, I'm a Christian.

OK. That's cool. I was just wondering. I personally don't think songs that talk about peace and love are idiotic, pie in the sky, or communist. In fact I think they go quite nicely with Christianity. But hey ho. I like pushing the envelope too. :)

One more thing...
When I was in my formative years musically (13 to 17 years old)
Long guitar solos were all the rage and I was hanging with guys that were older than me and much more advanced than me. Mastery of blues and rock guitar soloing was the end all and be all in those days.
A guitar player was judged by how good he could solo.
I guess that's why musicianship is so important to me to this day. It was instilled in me by guys that I basically idolized back in the day.
To be truthful even though I liked some of the punk tunes I resented the fact that rock and roll was being dominated by guys that couldn't play their way out of a wet paper bag in my opinion.
I look back and see with the benifit of hindsight that by hanging with those older players I was way behind the curve of what was happening and relevant.

I invested a lot of time into getting my chops together when I was a kid...while others partied.

Ones opinion of what is good has a lot to do with when and where they were born I guess.

OK. That's cool. I was just wondering. I personally don't think songs that talk about peace and love are idiotic, pie in the sky, or communist. In fact I think they go quite nicely with Christianity. But hey ho. I like pushing the envelope too. :)

When you're 4 insanely rich, witty, extremely talented, trailblazers who are idolized and adored by millions of fans, and followed by flocks of screaming girls, and on top of that considered to be "the voice of a generation"...

All you need is love.
:)

One more thing...
When I was in my formative years musically (13 to 17 years old)
Long guitar solos were all the rage and I was hanging with guys that were older than me and much more advanced than me. Mastery of blues and rock guitar soloing was the end all and be all in those days.
A guitar player was judged by how good he could solo.
I guess that's why musicianship is so important to me to this day. It was instilled in me by guys that I basically idolized back in the day.
To be truthful even though I liked some of the punk tunes I resented the fact that rock and roll was being dominated by guys that couldn't play their way out of a wet paper bag in my opinion.
I look back and see with the benifit of hindsight that by hanging with those older players I was way behind the curve of what was happening and relevant.

I invested a lot of time into getting my chops together when I was a kid...while others partied.

Ones opinion of what is good has a lot to do with when and where they were born I guess.

I couldn't care less about good or bad playing. I grew up with everyone worshiping EVH and Randy Rhoads. That shit didn't mean anything to me. I just wanna hear good songs. A good player is wasted on a shitty song as far as I'm concerned. Steve Vai is a great guitar player. His disgusting guitar wanking is unlistenable garbage to me.

I can listen to just about anything. However, I cannot abide being preached at in a song. Most 'message' songs leave me cold. So political and religious songs are ones I usually turn off.

I couldn't care less about good or bad playing. I grew up with everyone worshiping EVH and Randy Rhoads. That shit didn't mean anything to me. I just wanna hear good songs. A good player is wasted on a shitty song as far as I'm concerned. Steve Vai is a great guitar player. His disgusting guitar wanking is unlistenable garbage to me.
The whole 80's hair band thing kind of went under my radar. I was listening to David Allen Coe, Waylon Jennings, Hank Jr, and a lot of blues guys like Albert King and Johnny winter. That's where, in my opinion, the great songs were throughout the 1980's.
Although I recognize EVH's tremendous talent and genius on guitar...I never cared for that style. Also, a lot of the songs were really weak and more or less just a sound bed for eddies solos.

As far as guitar a virtuoso Stevie Ray Vaughn was more my cut if tea than hair band neck tapping

Also, a lot of the songs were really week and more or less just a sound bed for eddies solos.

That aint no lie. It's something I notice with a lot of guitar hero music. Van Halen in particular. Obviously much of the general public just liked those vapid songs, but the real draw was Eddie's guitar playing. He was a special, once in a lifetime kind of guitar talent for that style of music, and without Eddie noodling all over the place, I can't help but think that band would have never gotten off the ground.

That aint no lie. It's something I notice with a lot of guitar hero music. Van Halen in particular. Obviously much of the general public just liked those vapid songs, but the real draw was Eddie's guitar playing. He was a special, once in a lifetime kind of guitar talent for that style of music, and without Eddie noodling all over the place, I can't help but think that band would have never gotten off the ground.
They wouldn't have. The strongest tune on their first album was the kinks cover "you really got me" other than "eruption" which was pure guitar solo.
It would have been all David lee Roth and even with the crutch of having vai on guitar Roth was just a flash in the pan on his own.
Nirvana proved that good songs trumped guitar wank feasts over weak songs.

Saw Warren Haynes mentioned lately in one of these threads......he used to play with David Allen Coe way back when. A good player.

To each his own, but I wouldn't exactly call Stevie Ray a virtuoso. He did what he did well. But to me it was kind of disappointing that that's all he did. So many colors, but he basically only utilized one.

Anyway, what's the topic again? Oh....

Every time I hear that guy, "Come on people now smile on your brother everybody get together", I get all :mad:

They wouldn't have. The strongest tune on their first album was the kinks cover "you really got me" other than "eruption" which was pure guitar solo.
It would have been all David lee Roth and even with the crutch of having vai on guitar Roth was just a flash in the pan on his own.
Nirvana proved that good songs trumped guitar wank feasts over weak songs.

Yeah DLR's biggest solo hits was a cover of a cover of a cover made most famous by Louis Prima, and a Beach Boys song.

Does that Eddie Van Halen/Steve Vai type crap have a genre name? The only people I've ever known listen to it are people who play guitar, which doesn't say much for its appeal beyond people who want to show off their technical abilities.

Not sure I could ever warm to a Christian rock song regardless of how it was presented either - by their very nature they're a bit over-earnest and I find it hard enough listening to people talk about their faith, never mind singing about it.

I've got a pretty broad musical taste and wide ranging record collection, but the above two styles - along with heavy metal and opera just don't resonate with me on any level at all, and I can't imagine hearing a song from any of those styles that would ever change my mind.

Are there any in either category that you like ?

"Blowin' in the wind" is an example of a political song that doesn't preach. I think it is really well written, and is way better than, say, Lennon's "Imagine".

"I hear the angels singing" by Eric Bibb or "John the Revelator" (Blind Willie Johnson) are gospel-type of songs that I like.

Back