Is the MXL V67G the best LDC for less than $100 for vocals?

Is the MXL V67G the best LDC for less than $100

• Yes

Votes: 54 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 45 45.5%

• Total voters
A comment on looks, personally I've always thought the CAD M9 was rad looking.... always used to dream of owning "the pretty blue mic" (not to be confused with B.L.U.E. mics)

That's not in the price range though.

Humm, that's a thought... has anyone here ever tried some of that gun blueing stuff on a mic?

I think so....but thats for me. Im around tenor range btw.

Some get the M69, some get the V67, some get the 57, some get the B1....and thats just in that price range. Hell, which is better...a bacon cheesebuger or a set of tacos? I also know people who would rather eat chicken fingers than steak.

Unless youre looking for a specific sound that one of your mics wont provide then you cant really go wrong by expanding your locker with a reputable piece.

DJL said:
I'm not Flatpicker... but I'll keep that in mind... cool, only $4000... my kidney's are in bad shape, so I may need one someday. :eek:

I don't think that includes installation.

Is $99 for the MXL V67G, a shock mount, 20' XLR (don't know the brand), and a ring mount a good price or can I do better?

Oh! yeah, plus $12 for Shipping.

As for the look thing, I'm not sure it's that important. It's more important how it sounds. However, I'd havta make my Civic a low rider, have a gold grill put in, change the honda emblem to gold, and get some gold rims to match the shiny gold grille on the V67G.

Oh! I forgot the ghetto fabulous gold fender flares. :D
Although, I do think they are probably trying to copy B.L.U.E. mics and their funky look.

mrface2112 said:
...i figure if Warren Zevon, Neil Young, Bruce ICan'tSingsteen and Bob Dylan can do it, i can too--my voice is no "worse" than any of theirs, IMO)......but honestly, the biggest hurdle for me was getting over the "i hate the sound of my voice on tape" hangup.
Ha ha ha Ican'tSignsteen? I've man! I've never heard of that, but that's funny. About, Oh! I don't know four five years ago. I heard a radio station play one of the Boss' first recorded songs. Holy crap!!! It was like one of those guys that show up in "American Idol".
You can teach yourself how to sing well. You, may or may not have a good voice but that doesn't matter much.
I mean I love George Throughgood, but he has no voice man.

i havn't tried V69 yet,so i donno how it compars to v67g, but i will be getting one soon

i dont know if anyone have described how v67g sounds or not but here is my comment~
first of all,i'm speaking of a good v67g, and not the ... shity ones
all mics sound differnt... best try before buy, even when they are the same model

v67 isn't good for a strong lead vocal or anything that will have to stand out in a loud progressive hard mix, instead of that, V67 is a smooth warm mic, not super detailed like the more expensive tubmic tho, but anyway, everything you recorded will sink and laydown to the back in the mix, and makes the sound more gental than usual.
v67 isn't going to give you a big tight upfront image of the source, but a wide lay back warm subtal sensation, which is great for back up vocal IMO or things you want them to sit inside the mix gentally
by the way, it isnt a birght energetic vocal mic ,it's a dark warm one

if you are using grace101 or Eureka kind of pure sounding preamp, with high impedence, this is what u will get, but other coloring or low impedence ones, you will get something different

Last edited:
Dracon said:
Is $99 for the MXL V67G, a shock mount, 20' XLR (don't know the brand), and a ring mount a good price or can I do better?

Oh! yeah, plus $12 for Shipping.

yeap......thats the same deal i got on ebay...but i bought it from this 1darb1 guy on there and i would not recommend buying it from him. it took a week to get here...shoulda taken 3-4 days by my impatient standards.

Marshall MXL V67G vs AKG C3000B

Sounds ridiculous but I currently use the V67 and I have the opportunity to purchase the AKG for $100...

I'll be using it solely for male vocals with an M-Audio DMP3 Preamp and an EMU-1212M soundcard... Will I get a better sound out of the AKG than the MXL with that setup?

hmmm...

i just bought my MXL V67 for $84 including shipping. pretty good deal! anyway...i'll have to hear what it does and vote later. i have heard it's killer for hip hop vocals, which is what i'm doing.

Talking about this mics in terms of "best" is fruitless. No one thing is the "best" at anything at any price range. Audio production simply does not work this way--not to mention "yes" and "no" questions. Perhaps a better way to phrase the question would have been, "In your opinion, how does the MXL V76G functionally compare to other mics at its price point?"

Got mine a while back after reading one of Harvey's posts.
Swapped it with a SPB1 and my partner who knows nothing about gear asked me what happened to the vocals. I had switched the v67 with the SPB1.
Got a V69 and I havent used the V67 since. But for under 100 a pop, I would get as many as I could during a certain time period. They all work different everytime I try them on a source.

Sonic Idiot said:
Perhaps a better way to phrase the question would have been, "In your opinion, how does the MXL V76G functionally compare to other mics at its price point?"
I've never heard a MXL V76G before... I didn't know Marshall Electronics made a V76G. ;) :D

Well, it sounds good on my singer's voice. But I'm not sure what else we'd use it on, as we also have 2 SP B1's.
Vocals are important I would say, however, so. . . . Yes!

v67 isn't good for a strong lead vocal or anything that will have to stand out in a loud progressive hard mix...

Bullshit, you don't know what you're talking about. It's a perfectly fine mic. You must not be familiar with EQ and the overall process of mastering vocals.

Back