Is the MXL V67G the best LDC for less than $100 for vocals?

Is the MXL V67G the best LDC for less than $100

• Yes

Votes: 54 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 45 45.5%

• Total voters
For male vocal, especially in the lower ranges, I'd agree a good example of an Oktava MK-319 would probably beat it. Relatively darker.

Does it look cooler? No. :rolleyes:

Fuzzy Dice
Bongos in the back
My ship of love
Ready to attack
Won't you please hear my plea

Attachments

• copy.jpg
    copy.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 535
I know we're talking about mics at or below $100 but, in the MXL line up, I like the V69 better and better yet, the 77.

My $.01 worth.

<<How would you all rate this mic for a drum overhead?>>

i really, really like the V67 as a drum overhead. big, fat, woody sound (and that's being used through the pres on my mackie 24*4!). very close to what i want to hear my drums sounding like (in my admittedly less than stellar room). i want a second one JUST so i can have a pair as stereo overheads--i don't have a need for a second beyond that. your results may vary of course.

it's been 6 months and i still think mine (which is the G model) looks cheesy as all hell. baby-shit green with an aptly-described cheap airplane model gold grille......but it definitely works quite well on some vocalists. and some folks really have taken a shine to the "golden mic" as they call it. i guess to the uninitiated, the gold exudes an air of quality or expensiveness or something. i dunno.......but it seems to elicit better takes from some people than do my dragonfly or RE38 (both of which i'd consider to be "far better" mics).

cheers,
wade

mrface2112 said:
<<How would you all rate this mic for a drum overhead?>>

i really, really like the V67 as a drum overhead. big, fat, woody sound (and that's being used through the pres on my mackie 24*4!). very close to what i want to hear my drums sounding like (in my admittedly less than stellar room). i want a second one JUST so i can have a pair as stereo overheads--i don't have a need for a second beyond that. your results may vary of course.

That's good to know. Every time I see one that's reaaly cheap, I think maybe I should get it just to have a stereo pair, but then I think 'What do I need a stereo pair of crappy mics for?' and I pass. But if they work well as OH's, I'll pick up a second one so that when I eventually DO get the room for drums, I'll have the pair. I have the V67M (black), which I think looks infinitely better than the 'G', but no matter what color it is, it still sucks on my voice, and doesn't do a whole lot better on my acoustics. This could easily be due to poor skills on my part and a really crappy room, though.

And Flatpicker, if I thought $4000 would make my voice sound good, I'd sell a kidney. :D

Cardioidpotent said:
And Flatpicker, if I thought $4000 would make my voice sound good, I'd sell a kidney. :D
I'm not Flatpicker... but I'll keep that in mind... cool, only $4000... my kidney's are in bad shape, so I may need one someday. :eek:

like i said, it works decently for me, on my drums (early 90's pearl exports), with my playing, in my room.

previously, i was using a pair of MXL 603's as overheads and they were just too bright. cymbals (zildjian a's and k's) sounded like trashcan lids and there was just too much "sheen" to the drums. the V67, not having that same freq bump in the highs, smoothed that right out.

i've also used my Dragonfly and my SP B1 as an overhead, and while they both sound "good" in that role, i like the V67 better. i suppose i can get by with a mono overhead, but given my 6 toms and affinity for "goin round da kit", it'd be nice to have that stereo spread. :D

actually, i've been using the B1 and V67 as a mismatched pair of overheads and they give me a definitey workable sound. i just need to get the room sounding better......*sigh*....time to put some auralex on my christmas list....

cheers,
wade

PS (edit): as for singing......if you don't have a "pleasing" sounding timbre to your voice, there ain't no mic in the world that'll work magic. of course, your voice is an instrument and you've got to learn to play it. it starts with breathing--without proper breathing, you can't hope to consistently hit pitches, and it continues from there with practice. i can't sing (at least not like a "pop star", but i sure as hell have a go at it....i figure if Warren Zevon, Neil Young, Bruce ICan'tSingsteen and Bob Dylan can do it, i can too--my voice is no "worse" than any of theirs, IMO)......but honestly, the biggest hurdle for me was getting over the "i hate the sound of my voice on tape" hangup.

Last edited:
and if I could write like any of those guys, I wouldn't worry about not being able to sing either. :D

P.S. How did you get past it? I'm still trying after (hrmphmumble) years.

BTW, I think with this many musicians in one place, we should have a psychoanalysis forum.

<<and if I could write like any of those guys, I wouldn't worry about not being able to sing either.>>

yeah, well, i suppose that's the kicker, eh? ;) best we can do is try. i'd like to think i've written a few decent songs--not like they'll see the light of day b/c i'm lazy and don't pimp em, but there you have it.

<<P.S. How did you get past it? I'm still trying after (hrmphmumble) years.>>

i can't say i HAVE gotten past it. part of it is (was? still is?) hitting pitch more consistently and that came with learning to breathe properly and lots of practice. as for still hating the sound of my voice.....i mostly just suck it up and just deal with it. i'm resigned to that's how i sound and that's how it's gonna be. i've had enough people tell me they like my voice so that i'm not as concerned so much about totally sucking anymore :D, but it's a mental thing. you just have to get past it.

and honestly, a lot of it is just getting out there and doing it. play enough gigs and sing in front of enough people, and unless they boo you off the stage :b, you'll eventually get over it. that's what did it for me.....played enough gigs and got enough self-confidence to sing in front of people (a song or 2 set), and when they clapped, i guess you could say that took care of it. i still don't *like* hearing my voice on tape, but i'm more or less used enough to it that i don't cringe constantly while i'm trying to mix. these days, i handle about 1/2 the singing chores, and that's plenty.

i mean, even hendrix hated the sound of his voice. it's a hangup i'd say that most of us have, except for the truly gifted or truly self-centered among us.

<<BTW, I think with this many musicians in one place, we should have a psychoanalysis forum.>>

LOL......i thought that's what the "post your mixes" forum was for? :b

I'm biased so I won't vote, but it's certainly a good choice in that price range.

Wasn't this mic in "Soul Plane"? I swear in the previews it looked like Snoop was making his announcements from the cabin with one!

War

Cardioidpotent said:
...And Flatpicker, if I thought $4000 would make my voice sound good, I'd sell a kidney. :D
Hee hee. Not that I had anything in mind, but I'm sure we could come up with something for 4 grand! :p

DJL said:
Hmm, what does that mean?

NOTE: no trouble intended.

It means I sell it and am biased! Just being up front is all.

I hear ya on the no trouble, no problem Don.

War :p

Back