Is the MXL V67G the best LDC for less than $100 for vocals?

Is the MXL V67G the best LDC for less than $100

• Yes

Votes: 54 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 45 45.5%

• Total voters
Warhead said:
It means I sell it and am biased! Just being up front is all.

I hear ya on the no trouble, no problem Don.

War :p
I don't see any reason why you can't vote... as long as you take your business hat off first and vote honestly as a hr.com member only. But, if you have difficulties separating the two, it might be better or more honest not to vote. Anyway, just thinking out loud... do what you must, you know best... I was just curious what you meant, thanks for answering. :)

DJL said:
I don't see any reason why you can't vote... as long as you take your business hat off first and vote honestly as a hr.com member only. But, if you have difficulties separating the two, it might be better or more honest not to vote. Anyway, just thinking out loud... do what you must, you know best... I was just curious what you meant, thanks for answering. :)

He's had a breakthrough! We're all very proud of your accomplishment, DJL. ;) :) :cool:

12-7-04, 1:24 PM PST.

25... Yes
22... No

It's still a very close poll... and IMO, close enough to say the Marshall MXL V67G is one of the better or well liked budget vocal type mics under $100 being sold on the market today.

Yeah, it is interesting. I might bear it in mind next time I delve into the cheap microphone market to add to my collection ... I just wish there was some better way of choosing between them, especially when I have to get any mic on mail order.

noisedude said:
Yeah, it is interesting. I might bear it in mind next time I delve into the cheap microphone market to add to my collection ... I just wish there was some better way of choosing between them, especially when I have to get any mic on mail order.
It could be worst... you could do it the hard way (or expensive way) and buy all of them and sell the ones you don't like... like I did. :(

One of the main reasons why I bought my Neumann TLM103 was because... a while back, Harvey was using the TLM103 as his reference mic for mic comparisons... so I needed it to know what he was hearing and talking about. ;)

FWIW: I own a MXL V67G and like it but I didn’t vote because the only other sub-$100 microphone I have is a Shure SM57 and it’s a dynamic mic. I don’t own any other sub-$100 LDCs such as a Studio Projects B1 so I have nothing to compare it to.

JohnnyMan said:
FWIW: I own a MXL V67G and like it but I didn’t vote because the only other sub-$100 microphone I have is a Shure SM57 and it’s a dynamic mic. I don’t own any other sub-$100 LDCs such as a Studio Projects B1 so I have nothing to compare it to.
You're a good man Johnny... that is one of the problems with these polls... some people vote who shouldn't.

DJL said:
You're a good man Johnny... that is one of the problems with these polls... some people vote who shouldn't.

Thanks DJL. You're correct and I hope most people should also take these polls with a grain of salt.

DJL said:
One of the main reasons why I bought my Neumann TLM103 was because... a while back, Harvey was using the TLM103 as his reference mic for mic comparisons... so I needed it to know what he was hearing and talking about. ;)
I don't think anyone should EVER need an excuse to buy a Neumann :D :D :D

DJL said:

It has nothing to do with honesty, I give that up regardless. It has to do with maybe one or two members seeing my vote and thinking "uh huh...it's cause you sell it".

And I'm not singling you out here, just letting you know that's how I felt when I said that and didn't vote. My opinion is the mic is a good value and sounds fine on many sources, particularly vocals. So does the SP B1 in the value range, but it's tailored more to instrument / drum recording.

Thanks

War

Warhead said:
It has nothing to do with honesty, I give that up regardless. It has to do with maybe one or two members seeing my vote and thinking "uh huh...it's cause you sell it".

And I'm not singling you out here, just letting you know that's how I felt when I said that and didn't vote. My opinion is the mic is a good value and sounds fine on many sources, particularly vocals. So does the SP B1 in the value range, but it's tailored more to instrument / drum recording.

Thanks

War
Oh ok, I think you may have misunderstood my use of "honesty"... I meant no harm. Anyway, I understand. You're a good man War. :)

so, softer mid-to-high voices? any recommendations for someone who is a little cooler in bass and baritone but fills the room with standing waves in more tenor ranges? i'm hoping to do my rig right-replace my crappy behringer mixer with a halfway decent pre, new soundcard, maybe a couple of mics (i have 2 of those inexpensive behringer SDC mics and 2 audix om3xbs, and some crap, though i'm curious about my rat shack highball-2 (is that the proper nomenclature? too lazy to dig it up, i want to say i have a 2 and a 7)

noisedude said:
This is turning into a bit of a love-in. Can you guys just get on with it and fight, please?;)

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No.

War :p

I have to agree with all who have a problem with how it looks. I'm still waiting for it to "grow on me", as it has on some. That said, it's a great mic for my purposes (vocals, acoustic guitar and especially voiceover for video projects). I can get over the green/gold if it works well, which it does...

Has anyone thought about repainting it? I'd like it to be a matte black, I'd guess. Any recomendations on the type of paint to use? I've never modded a mic, even just by painting one....

Wish I had been able to find the black version at a good price when I was buying mine.

noisedude said:
This is turning into a bit of a love-in. Can you guys just get on with it and fight, please?;)
War and I made our peace a long time ago... and friends don't fight.

Are you sure?

You know I'm kidding, don't you?

BTW - On the looks thing, I do think it looks a bit tacky ... but that's just me.

Back