In memory of the banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't remember anybody else that isn't here anymore. They both produced a lot of good work and could be very argumentative at the same time. I'm honestly surprised they didn't get banned long before then.

Well, let it be said that I wish they were here. I thought I was friends with them. Honestly...

In the end I was called a Nazi and a horrible mod that goes off on my own personal agenda and have some kind of superiority complex. This was done behind my back and posted to admin. Ironic huh?

Well that was just fucking ridiculous...

I volunteered to be a moderator here because I actually care about people who have questions about recording, and I have learned a shit ton from other members on this site.

Miss the guys, don't miss the shitty attitudes..

Here's a possible explanation:

I'll soon be selling my mom's house. During the last few years I lived with her to take care of her. During that time, her next door neighbors had two miniature schnauzers that, even though they saw me and my dog several times a day, every day, they would bark incessantly at Who concert volume every single time. It got to the point where it became so annoying that I would try to make sure that they weren't out in the yard when I took my dog out for a walk. Lots of other people in the neighborhood have dogs. But if I go back in a few months and I don't hear the non-stop yapping, I'm going to wonder where those two dogs are. I'm not going to wonder about the other dogs if I don't here them. Just those two. But it won't be because I miss them.

Pretty damn eloquent analogy there...cut to the chase true too!

Here's a possible explanation:

I'll soon be selling my mom's house. During the last few years I lived with her to take care of her. During that time, her next door neighbors had two miniature schnauzers that, even though they saw me and my dog several times a day, every day, they would bark incessantly at Who concert volume every single time. It got to the point where it became so annoying that I would try to make sure that they weren't out in the yard when I took my dog out for a walk. Lots of other people in the neighborhood have dogs. But if I go back in a few months and I don't hear the non-stop yapping, I'm going to wonder where those two dogs are. I'm not going to wonder about the other dogs if I don't here them. Just those two. But it won't be because I miss them.

Were the two miniature schnauzers as skilled and knowledgeable about home recording as Greg and Rami were? :laughings:

Were the two miniature schnauzers as skilled and knowledgeable about peeing on the rug as Greg and Rami were? :laughings:

Fixed. ;)

Are you suggesting someone's knowledge precludes them from having to follow the rules like everyone else? What if someone has no knowledge and behaves the same way(s)?

Fixed. ;) What if someone has no knowledge and behaves the same way(s)?

They are less of an asset to the site? Is that not obvious?

Honestly, I don't care. I missed those guys for a bit because they weren't allowed in here. Now that I know where to find them their absence doesn't affect me. But it does affect the site. But not me. So again, I have no dog in this fight.

Making this a more polite place to be will help avoid repelling potential new members, some of whom will bring substantial expertise. It might not be an obvious effect but it should more than offset the expertise lost with those members. They don't have any monopoly on knowledge.

So knowledge does mean they can do whatever they want? Just clarifying.

No .

---------- Update ----------

Making this a more polite place to be will help avoid repelling potential new members, some of whom will bring substantial expertise. It might not be an obvious effect but it should more than offset the expertise lost with those members. They don't have any monopoly on knowledge.

Valid point.

lol @ the idea that we're accumulating new members. BBS's in general are a dying thing.

Simply making it so that we tell EVERYone how good their mixes are (not allowed to say something's bad ..... ooh, you big meanie ) simply contributes to the decline of musicianship and recording skills.
And make no mistake .... that's how it is here.

I've seen mild criticisms of someone's song or mix get called out as unacceptable rudeness.
To me it's ridiculous ..... I went to school for music and majored in it ..... my teachers NEVER said, "Well .... what you're doing is great (when it wasn't ) and I see where you're coming from..... but you might want to try this instead just to see."
You're simply not allowed to criticize at all .... I suppose if we're a music daycare that makes sense.

They would say, "That sounds bad" ..... and essentially that's what got complaints on those guys .... the newb would go running and whining to the MODS .... "ooh, a mean man didn't tell me how good and talented I am" and the mods, desperate to appeal to newbs, give their complaints way more weight than they deserve.

That's actually why I quit participating in the clinic years ago.
I toild someone that something didn't sound good and they freaked.

I'm not gonna tip-toe around newbs finding a way to tell them they're good because everyone is special if their stuff sucks.
This was a factor in most of the banned.

Yes, the MODS do this for free ..... and that's simply another reason to do away with guys that get complaints ..... to have no complaints to deal with. Doesn't really matter if it's a thin-skinned newb and the complaint is just whiney .... NO complaints is the actual goal so they don't have to deal with it.
But some complaints are bullshit.

Now a MOD will come in and say that I'm wrong .... they had lots, LOTS of other reasons .... but I've been here since 1999 ..... I'm pretty indifferent to MOD-speak.

lol @ the idea that we're accumulating new members. BBS's in general are a dying thing.

Simply making it so that we tell EVERYone how good their mixes are (not allowed to say something's bad ..... ooh, you big meanie ) simply contributes to the decline of musicianship and recording skills.

I've seen mild criticisms of someone's song or mix get called out as unacceptable rudeness.
To me it's ridiculous ..... I went to school for music and majored in it ..... my teachers NEVER said, "Well .... what you're doing is great (when it wasn't ) and I see where you're coming from..... but you might want to try this instead just to see."
You're simply not allowed to criticize at all .... I suppose if we're a music daycare that makes sense.

They would say, "That sounds bad" ..... and essentially that's what got complaints on those guys .... the newb would go running and whining to the MODS .... "ooh, a mean man didn't tell me how good and talented I am" and the mods, desperate to appeal to newbs, give their complaints way more weight than they deserve.

That's actually why I quit participating in the clinic years ago.
I toild someone that something didn't sound good and they freaked.

I'm not gonna tip-toe around newbs finding a way to tell them they're good because everyone is special if their stuff sucks.
This was a factor in most of the banned.

Yes, the MODS do this for free ..... and that's simply another reason to do away with guys that get complaints ..... to have no complaints to deal with. Doesn't really matter if it's a thin-skinned newb and the complaint is just whiney .... NO complaints is the actual goal so they don't have to deal with it.
But some complaints are bullshit.

Now a MOD will come in and say that I'm wrong .... they had lots, LOTS of other reasons .... but I've been here since 1999 ..... I'm pretty indifferent to MOD-speak.

Bob, you can't open your mouth without reading from another man's script. When you were posting here, you boasted of rarely ever venturing outside the Tone Thread. That didn't stop you from pronouncing on the merits of music you never bothered to hear, commenting on parts of the forum where you neither read nor posted. Of course you were just parroting the cliches and idiocies emanating from other people. You embarrass yourself.

Can we close this thread?

Some forums won't allow discussions about banned members. It's in the same category as politics and religion.

Might be a good approach. Look at how many pages this has gone and the butthurt on both sides.

I too majored in music. I have been shredded by extremely talented and well-known players. I have also been complimented by them. I've participated in too many master classes and classical guitar forums to count. I know how these things work.

There is a clear line between constructive criticism and just being a douche. You know where that line is and so do I.

When I listen to someone's mix, if I don't have a criticism I usually don't even bother to post. I've criticized all the regulars in the MP3 clinic, and I've never had any of them get angry or even remotely defensive over it. Not once.

I do not know where your impression is coming from. You are welcome to comment, criticize, or trash any of my music as you see fit. I hereby roll out the red carpet.

Bob, if you read this, sorry for the harshness of my last post. But it is frustrating to hear the same bogus criticism of the Clinic from you, knowing full well that you were not a regular poster or listener there and were relying on the reports of others. But above all, your ignorant dismissal of the music of some of the regular posters there is annoying, given that you clearly have not been listening. You're a professional musician. Is that how you act in the real world scene that you are a part of--trashing music you've never even heard? Would you respect anyone who did the same in your scene? No? Then cut that shit out here.

No idea how the Clinic was back in the day. In the last couple of years since I became a regular, I have seen the kind of ungracious reception of criticism that you mention, but rarely. Usually it is from the drive-bys who show up to have their confirmation bias confirmed and piss off as soon as they realize that's not on offer.

Anyway, maybe we need a dedicated thread for all those who have left the forum in disgust, to drop in from time to time and remind us that--yes indeed--they have left the forum in disgust. Because what fun is it to rage quit unless people know that you have rage quit?

On second thought, bad idea.

Bob, if you read this, sorry for the harshness of my last post. But it is frustrating to hear the same bogus criticism of the Clinic from you, knowing full well that you were not a regular poster or listener there and were relying on the reports of others. But above all, your ignorant dismissal of the music of some of the regular posters there is annoying, given that you clearly have not been listening. You're a professional musician. Is that how you act in the real world scene that you are a part of--trashing music you've never even heard? Would you respect anyone who did the same in your scene? No? Then cut that shit out here.

No idea how the Clinic was back in the day. In the last couple of years since I became a regular, I have seen the kind of ungracious reception of criticism that you mention, but rarely. Usually it is from the drive-bys who show up to have their confirmation bias confirmed and piss off as soon as they realize that's not on offer.

Anyway, maybe we need a dedicated thread for all those who have left the forum in disgust, to drop in from time to time and remind us that--yes indeed--they have left the forum in disgust. Because what fun is it to rage quit unless people know that you have rage quit?

On second thought, bad idea.
Dude, Lt was an active member here 14 years before you even registered. A LOT has happened over the years that you have no perspective of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back