I'm ready for some football.

So I went looking for 'the greatest onside kick ever'. Google came up with various clips with that name. What's your pick?

So I went looking for 'the greatest onside kick ever'. Google came up with various clips with that name. What's your pick?

Since it's Greg, I'll have to assume it was the one the Saints did against the Colts to start the 2nd half when they played in the Superbowl. :D It really did swing the momentum though, so I'd say it's worthy!

Since it's Greg, I'll have to assume it was the one the Saints did against the Colts to start the 2nd half when they played in the Superbowl. :D It really did swing the momentum though, so I'd say it's worthy!

Yes indeed! Saints Super Bowl onside is kick is #1 greatest of all time for ever and ever amen.

Perhaps the ballsiest coaching decision on the biggest stage ever.The only thing that could top it is a 2 point conversion for the win.

I remember it like it was yesterday. My exact words at the instant the kick tumbled forward were "WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING?!?!?!?!?!?!" It was so shocking that my mom sitting right next to me didn't even smack me for yelling "fuck" inches from her ear. It was like it happened in slow motion. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Then we recovered it and it became the most bad ass coaching decision ever. :D

I remember it like it was yesterday. My exact words at the instant the kick tumbled forward were "WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING?!?!?!?!?!?!" It was so shocking that my mom sitting right next to me didn't even smack me for yelling "fuck" inches from her ear.

You'll probably think this is pretty juvenile, but just try to imagine how much I'd enjoy seeing your mom smack you for saying 'fuck'.

So funny. You were so shocked you said it. She was so shocked she didn't smack you.
Yes exactly. I don't know how football savvy you are, but scheming an onside kick to open the second half of the hugest sports event we have with everything on the line is full bore mega ballsy. It works and you're an instant legend. It fails and you will forever be the guy that made the dumbest coaching decision to date. Thankfully it worked. It warranted a loud expletive.

The biggest sports story in Sydney, Australia at the moment is that one of our best and highest paid rugby league players has decided to throw the towel in to pursue his dream of being a punt returner (is that an actual position? It was something like that...) in the NFL.

He's a superb athlete but the local consensus is that he'll fail miserably. Different games, different skills and athletic abiity required.

We'll see.... :)

The biggest sports story in Sydney, Australia at the moment is that one of our best and highest paid rugby league players has decided to throw the towel in to pursue his dream of being a punt returner (is that an actual position? It was something like that...) in the NFL.

He's a superb athlete but the local consensus is that he'll fail miserably. Different games, different skills and athletic abiity required.

IMHO NFL players are more specialized, different body types and skills for different positions. Not knowing much about rugby, it seems they all have basically the same body type.

Speed and shiftiness are a punt returners skills, not size or strength.

One of our major colleges/universities has one of your rugby guys as a punter. He punts both right-footed and left-footed, which is highly unusual.

As a punt returner, I'd bet he doesn't make it. The problem for him is that punt returners aren't usually just punt returners. They play other positions too. A team isn't gonna use up a roster spot for a punt returner. He needs to be able to do something else. Who are the best punt returners ever? Deion Sanders and Devin Hester. They play other stuff very well.

One of our major colleges/universities has one of your rugby guys as a punter. He punts both right-footed and left-footed, which is highly unusual.

Remember Brad Wing at LSU? He was an Aussie punter. That fucker could boom them, or drop a punt in a bucket if he wanted to. One of the best punters I ever saw in college.

As a punt returner, I'd bet he doesn't make it. The problem for him is that punt returners aren't usually just punt returners. They play other positions too. A team isn't gonna use up a roster spot for a punt returner. He needs to be able to do something else. Who are the best punt returners ever? Deion Sanders and Devin Hester. They play other stuff very well.
Bo Jackson still holds the record for the fastest 40 at the NFL combine. Hard to believe that a man 230 pounds could run that fast.

Bo Jackson still holds the record for the fastest 40 at the NFL combine. Hard to believe that a man 230 pounds could run that fast.

Bo Jackson might be the greatest american team sport athlete ever. That guy was unbelievable. He obviously excelled at college and pro football, but he was a really good baseball player too. Most two sport guys suck at one of them. Not Bo. Bo knows...how to play.

Back