I'm building a new guitar

Ah right, have you finished that stuff before. I only say that because most African Mahoganies have really open grain. Finish will drop in to those pores really easy and even when you think you have it covered it shows up along the way. I'm sure you've got it done though you ain't a noob at this.;

I think I adequately filled it. We'll see later when I sand it. I'll say it again "I stink at finishing"

As a side, I use clear epoxy on all those types as a filler these days. If I'm going clear on top I'll colour the epoxy down to the darkest fleck. If I'm going with a solid colour it's no biggy.
Really. I would think that would be difficult to sand. Do you get good chaytoyance with it?

Both are looking really good. Can't wait to see and hear them strung up.:)
Thanks, Me too, but I'm trying not to rush things.

Nice. That looks almost like European Walnut. Much browner than the American Black.

I thought the same, as if it was mislabeled.

Whats the dimensions of the board?

It's just over 9' long, and about 10 inches wide, by 1 3/4 inches thick.
I have plenty of ideas for it. When ever I get an unusual board I keep picturing things that it is should be every time I walk past it. I got a lot of stuff to do..:o

I know how you feel, but you I'm sure have much more material sitting around than me.

That board looks like it needs to be at least one bass guitar and a few drop tops.
I bought it for a guitar that I'll build for a friend, so It's his really. We had to buy the whole piece, but I'll rathole some of it for myself. :D

Cut that waney edge off soon though. You'll never use it and it will only harbour moisture and possibly other nasty crawlies.;) How dry is it?
I'll probably cut into it today. I haven't stabbed it with the hygrometer yet. Either way it's so dry here that it will acclimate quickly.

The epoxy thing. I mix up slow set stuff and use a scraper to drag it into the pores. 24 hours later I sand and work through the grits back to where I want to be. Maybe I'll do it on the HR Build as an example even though it maybe doesn't need it.

I'm sure you'll be OK with what you have done so far but ask Bubba what happens when mutt says stuff "can" happen... Poor dinosaur..:o

Some progress.. The red, and black guitars are ready for clear coat. I've put a couple of coats of oil on the neck so I can proceed with the fretwork on the black one. I used a transparent black stain on the bass. I think it will look pretty cool.
blackstain_zpsfaacdcdd.jpg

The neck on the black guitar is going to look great!
stneck_zpsb62799bd.jpg

I wound a pickup for the bass. Vintage P-Bass Spec.

pbasscoils2_zpsbcbc1d5c.jpg

I airbrushed the fade.
Everything's so dark, I'm debating whether or not to dye the fingerboard black to make it look like ebony.

Kbass_zpse4f4af32.jpg

I wound a pickup for the bass. Vintage P-Bass Spec.

pbasscoils2_zpsbcbc1d5c.jpg

I airbrushed the fade.
Everything's so dark, I'm debating whether or not to dye the fingerboard black to make it look like ebony.

Kbass_zpse4f4af32.jpg

The black sunburst looks top drawer. A little tip with the finishing if I may.. Once you have it looking that good don't compromise it by over working it.;)

A black f/b on that to my eyes would look wrong. Stained fingerboards wear eventually and look cheap and nasty. If I was to want to go for a black finish on it I would rip it off and change it for ebony. In the long run you'd be happier. I say again it looks fantastic so leave it. What is the f/b anyway? Lots of timbers darken with age anyway.

The black sunburst looks top drawer. A little tip with the finishing if I may.. Once you have it looking that good don't compromise it by over working it.;)
Thanks, I've already thought about that. I had originally considered spraying it with two part poly clear, but will probably go organic instead with a thin tru-oil finish. I'll see how the samples turn out, and go from there.

A black f/b on that to my eyes would look wrong. Stained fingerboards wear eventually and look cheap and nasty. If I was to want to go for a black finish on it I would rip it off and change it for ebony. In the long run you'd be happier. I say again it looks fantastic so leave it. What is the f/b anyway? Lots of timbers darken with age anyway.

You're making a lot of sense here. I imagine it will darken considerably when I seal it with some mineral oil. The species is whatever Stewart MacDonald is calling rosewood these days. I think it's Chinese.

Thanks, I've already thought about that. I had originally considered spraying it with two part poly clear, but will probably go organic instead with a thin tru-oil finish. I'll see how the samples turn out, and go from there.

Be careful with tru oil over a gradient stain. It can drag something terrible. I have done that before but before doing so I seal the burst with a sprayed coat of shellac just to act a a barrier. It is vitally important to test on scrap with that though without knowing what stain you have used. If it is alcohol soluble go with a different barrier coat. If it is water based you may have the same problem maybe not. Spirit based you should be OK. I only use spirit stains now for that reason. Test and then test agin. You only need a few mists coats to seal it off.

You're making a lot of sense here. I imagine it will darken considerably when I seal it with some mineral oil. The species is whatever Stewart MacDonald is calling rosewood these days. I think it's Chinese.

I don't buy timber from Stew Mac but I'd lay good money on that being Indian rosewood. Most rosewoods will go much darker the moment you hit them with mineral oil and then darken so I'd still say leave it. You'll be glad you did...;)

Can't wait to see them come together..

Be careful with tru oil over a gradient stain. It can drag something terrible. I have done that before but before doing so I seal the burst with a sprayed coat of shellac just to act a a barrier.
I did just that, and have since applied the first coat of the tru-oil. I'm not sure how far I'll go with it. It sure looks pretty after the first coat though.

I don't buy timber from Stew Mac but I'd lay good money on that being Indian rosewood. Most rosewoods will go much darker the moment you hit them with mineral oil and then darken so I'd still say leave it. You'll be glad you did...;)
I'm counting on that. It should get much darker.
Can't wait to see them come together..
They're all close now.

I did the fretwork yesterday. I hardly had to touch them on either neck.

I wet sanded the paint today, so I'll spray the two part poly clearcoat on the red and black guitars tomorrow.

I wound the last of the pickups tonight.

Once the finish cures I should be able to put them together.
Fine work there, JCH!
Thanks Man!
firstcoat_zps5842192b.jpg

dressed_zps33585102.jpg

blkgtr1_zps43f79290.jpg

blkgtr2_zps48ecd80a.jpg

The bass is going together. I made a pickguard for it today, and installed the pickups.
basshardware2_zps6db891e1.jpg

They're looking great JCH. Thanks for posting the thread. I'm going to get on mine soon. You've given me hope.

It's time to put this one together. The only pieces missing in the picture are the jackplate, control cavity cover, and the nut.
blackguitar3_zpsd8f522d5.jpg

Later that evening...

I installed the bridge, finished fitting the pick guard, then shielded it, and the pickup cavities. I'm going to install the pickups to the body with the screws hidden. It's a bit of a hassle, but it's worth it to not have to look at all of those big adjuster screws. The controls will be mounted in the body as well so the pick guard will lift off easily for adjustments to the truss rod, or pickups. I've got a regular 5-way strat switch for it, but I think I'll use a rotary switch instead.

I've been really anxious to get to this point, and see what it will look like. I'm diggin' it.

blackguitar4_zps57d5a05a.jpg

Nice,

How do those vol/tone knobs feel with the rack off the flat? What pickups you using? Did you wind your own? Also glad to see your bench is beginning to look like mine. I was worried you were spending too much time tidying for the pictures and not enough getting stuff done..;)

Nice,

How do those vol/tone knobs feel with the rack off the flat?
Thanks, I can't say. They're only sitting there in the picture. One thing that I don't care for on a strat is the location of the controls. I made a large cavity in the back, so I can move them around some to see what feels best. I imagine I'll like it better.

What pickups you using? Did you wind your own?

I built them. They're Alnico V with single build formvar wire. 8,200 on the bridge, 8,000 middle, and 7,800 turns on the neck. It should have a solid vintage strat vibe.

Also glad to see your bench is beginning to look like mine. I was worried you were spending too much time tidying for the pictures and not enough getting stuff done..;)
lol You've got to be kidding. That's the clean bench.

I've moved all of the M/C's and the buggy out to the shed after doing some renovations to it. It makes it so much easier to keep things organized for the wood shop, and the bikes.
shed1_zps38913fa1.jpg

shed3_zps3008f3ef.jpg

I've been waiting for the Poly Clearcoat to harden so I could polish the guitars. Today I wet sanded the black guitar with 2,ooo grit before buffing it with automotive polish. I used a 6" random orbit with a microfiber pad. It's so shiny it looks like it's wet. Much better results than when I tried to take the ecological route when finishing the red guitar the first time.

Back