If anyone wants to practice their mixing, here you go!

Wow, these mixes are pretty good compared the mix-offs we had in the past. I am going to download the tracks and start mixing them tonight. I hope to have something to post in the next couple of days.

Hey NL5, thanks for throwing this together. Mix sounds a little thin to me...kind of strong in the mid and upper-mids and bass guitar is a little too up front (unless you were going for that Geezer Butler vibe from Sabbath which is cool too). Everything fits in it's own space nicely though, nice work.

After working with the tracks a little last night, I can easily see how a mix might get thin with drum samples... but I will will do my best to make a nice fat juicy mix. :D

I think it's otherwise nice but the solo guitar is way way too quiet, I cant really even hear it is there! Did you just forget that track while mixing in hurry? :D And also I think there are some compression artefacts.

yeah i was in a bit of a hurry to mix it, and what do you mean about compression artifacts?

My Mix

Johnny,

Thanks for letting us mix one of your songs. I had a blast working with it and hope you enjoy my mix.

BTW, what mic and mic pres did you use for the recordings? All the tracks sound great.

Edit: After listening to my mix with fresh ears, the bass (at least its mids) are too loud. I will need to lower them and post a new mix. I will leave this one until then.

Last edited:
would have been cool to have had this in be a PMC, anyway I'm interested to see what soundonsound does to this, as I've rarely thought they've done a REAL bang up job.

good song by the way.

Here's my mix. http://www.box.net/shared/5nbzfe96j1

I really hope someone will comment on my work.

Dude so far, I think your mix has the best sounding drums, especially when they come in. Could do without the begining guitar intro part just come in on the drums. I will say that IMO, most of the other mixes I've listend to, the drums sound horrible; they sound so thin (and fake) they don't fit the rest of the song; however, you seemed to have nailed it. I say nice job!

Johnny,

Thanks for letting us mix one of your songs. I had a blast working with it and hope you enjoy my mix.

Promises_Fishmed

BTW, what mic and mic pres did you use for the recordings? All the tracks sound great.

Edit: After listening to my mix with fresh ears, the bass (at least its mids) are too loud. I will need to lower them and post a new mix. I will leave this one until then.

Hi Fish:
Haven't had a chance to check out the latest versions as I am on a little R and R break before the big task of mixing the new record. Mic Pre was Art Pro MPA.

would have been cool to have had this in be a PMC, anyway I'm interested to see what soundonsound does to this, as I've rarely thought they've done a REAL bang up job.

good song by the way.

Thanks, DS. Not sure what a PMC is, but just thought everyone might enjoy taking a stab at it. I've always thought SOS made some big changes for the better, so I'm anxious too. October seems a long way off!

Thanks again to everyone who messed with the song and for the nice compliments, I appreciate it. Watch www.johnnylokkeband.com for future developments and release info!

Here is my "remix"

Promises_Fishmed

Let me know what you all think. :cool:

Best mix of this song so far. Period.

Forgot to answer completely when you asked about mic pre's and mics. As I said, Pre was an Art MPA Gold, vocals recorded with SM7-b, guitars and bass were POD X3. Drums triggered to midi and then replaced with a custom kit I made from Slate samples and personal samples.

Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Hi Fish:

Thanks, DS. Not sure what a PMC is, but just thought everyone might enjoy taking a stab at it. I've always thought SOS made some big changes for the better, so I'm anxious too. October seems a long way off!

Yes it stands for Public Mix Contest,
they were pretty popular for a while and lots of people participated. It was a good learning process (not to mention some prizes)

Looks like it been almost a year since the last one: https://homerecording.com/bbs/search.php?searchid=1947132

Final Mix

My car has been in the shop for the past week and I just got it back, now that I have heard my mix in my own car I realize that the LF of the kick is a bit unruly. I have made an adjustment and I think it clears up the whole mix. I am sure I can nit pick my mixes to death, but this will be my final mix as I start a new project tomorrow. :)

Promises_Fishmed

I had an hour to kill and I liked the song.

Promises

Fun stuff

OK, now this is what it is supposed to sound like. Wow..., just wow. Very clean, everything is heard and I am smiling.

Thanks for sharing this, Jason. By the way, I went to your site and was poking around, saw the article "A Young Jay Walsh" and thought I was looking at myself. We were born the same year (if my math is correct), had the same big hair (although so did everyone else...) and both played Explorers (my 76 EX2 with dirtyfingers is still my main recording guitar)! Very cool! You have a great talent, my friend.

Thank you. For those who are interested, here is what I did.

Drums:

1. Kick and toms were left alone
2. Added a snare sample with more 'pop' to the original snare sound.
3. Sent kick, snare and toms to a stereo buss and compressed them hard
4. HAt: added 6db of high shelf at 6k and -9db of low shelf at 100hz
5. Ride: Added 9db of high shelf at 8k and 3db of 2.5k with a narrow-ish Q
6. Crash, drum rooms 1&2 were left alone
7. Hat, ride, crash and drum room tracks were routed to a buss and compressed
8. Snare and toms had reverb on them that was routed to the drum buss to get compressed with the drums.

Bass:
1. Added 9db high shelf at 2k
2. added 6db of 1k narrow-ish Q
3. added 6db of 2.5k medium Q
4. ran it into a compressor post EQ with between 2 and 4db of reduction.

Guitars:
1. added 3 db high shelf at 8k
2. subtracted 3db of 3k with a narrow Q
3. added 6db of 500hz with a narrow-ish Q
4. added 2.5db of 137hz
5. compressed the guitar buss with fast attack, medium release 3/1. Just to catch the chugs that I brought up with the 137hz boost.

Solo:
1. added 3db high shelf at 6k
2. added 3db of 2k medium Q
3. subtracted 3db 180hz
4. compressed 3/1 medium attack and release with no more than 3db reduction.

Vocals:
1. All vocals were routed to a stereo buss
2. Added 2db high shelf at 8k
3. subtracted 9db of 3k with a wide Q
4. added 3db of 900hz medium Q
5. compressed 4/1 fast attack and release and averaging 6db reduction.
6. Lead vocal has a doubler added to it
7. All vocals routed to a delay set to a half note
8. All vocals routed to a reverb. Harmony vocals have about 5db more send level than the lead and low octave vocal.

"mastering" (using the owrd very loosely)
1. subtract 0.5db 189hz
2. add 1db 6.5k
3. set limiter to get about 2db reduction

That's the whole thing. If I would have had more time to spend, I would have maybe changed the tom samples and added some volume automation to make everything fly right .

Back