If anyone wants to practice their mixing, here you go!

I have an account but the link you posted doesn't look like the "link to" URL. I don't think you posted the correct URL. To the right of your file there should be a down arrow or upside down triangle. You should then have a "link to this file" option. That will show you the secure sharing URL to post here.

Only had 30 minutes to mix, but here goes -

I'll add some comments later.

I welcome all comments on the mix!

:D

I'm impressed by this mix as well. Sounds great...I noticed that the "low" doubled VOX track wasn't used or is really down low...it serves to bring the VOX out front which I like as well. Something I struggled with.

Vinny...dude...that's in your FACE! Sounds great to me...nicely done. I'd like to know more on what you did to get the guitars to sound so big. Did you double up the tracks or something?

Nope, no doubling, just a few lil tricks that i know :)

Gave it a quick go. Let me know what you think...

http://www.box.net/shared/44u456o9h4

Sounds pretty tasty to me. I would have probably cut back on the VOX reverb a bit...the delay seems a little long for my taste in the first half of the tune...it fits nicely with the high vox at the tail end of the tune but to each their own. I like the lead guitar sound and how it pops out just right and fades out at the end of the licks. Your kick drum is thick and "bap"...sounds great...I can feel it in my gut. Nice EQ work on that.

Am I detecting a little "swirly" back and forth bit with the guitars? Did you run the pan back and forth manually or do you have a plug in for that treatment? It's early and this tune is a bit of a wake up call, I could be hearing things.

Punkin

Gave it a quick go. Let me know what you think...

http://www.box.net/shared/44u456o9h4

Been away and just getting caught up...nice mix except I agree that the delay on the vocal is too long and distracting. Other than that I like how the vocals sit in your mix. Is there a ping-pong delay or something on the solo parts? It's bouncing around a lot. All in all nice work though, very strong mix!

Hey NL5, thanks for throwing this together. Mix sounds a little thin to me...kind of strong in the mid and upper-mids and bass guitar is a little too up front (unless you were going for that Geezer Butler vibe from Sabbath which is cool too). Everything fits in it's own space nicely though, nice work.

Hi Vinnydude:

Very strong mix, everything sounds really balanced and nicely eq'd. I like the way the bass guitar sits in here. I'm hearing a lot of pumping from the compression though, and distortion is creeping in at some points like you have a limiter really pushing this mix to be LOUD! Back off those two things and I think this mix would really come to life.

Thanks for sharing your work with us!

Been away and just getting caught up...nice mix except I agree that the delay on the vocal is too long and distracting. Other than that I like how the vocals sit in your mix. Is there a ping-pong delay or something on the solo parts? It's bouncing around a lot. All in all nice work though, very strong mix!
Thanks!

Yeah, I tuned the delay for the latter part of the song, just did a quick mix while I was killing some time. It's definitely a bit much in other parts. Actually, it's on the guitar bus, and I accidentally routed one of the vox tracks through it and liked it, so I ended up using it on the rest.

The panning on the guitar solos is keyed to the frequency. It's a plugin that ships with Audition that I've been dying to try. It can be set to alter phase and panning based on the frequency of the signal. I've been planning on using it on soundtracks we're doing for a haunted house this fall, and this seemed like a good time to try it out.

http://www.box.net/shared/7f8172gn56

feedback would be cool.

Nice recording, Nice performance, thanks for the fun!
Best mix so far as far as no compression pumping, everything sitting together in the mix, overall balance. I do agree that there is a lot of midrange frequencies getting accented there. I would guess it was done to the master bus as it seems to be affecting everything. If you slap this track up on your monitoring system and then follow it up with a track by Halford or Maiden or something like that I think you'll be able to get a handle on the eq pretty quickly though. Very nice job and thanks for sharing.

This is very good too, although you kind of went the opposite and pulled out all the mids (kind of sounds like the "smiley-face" kind of eq curve) which kind of sucks all the punch out of it. Cool that you did your own take on the vocals mixing the lower octave vocals in at a higher level. I usually mix them in until I can just hear them and then take them back about 1 or 2 dbs and use them just to thicken the vocal. I use them just loud enough that I can just hear them if I solo the vocal, but not really if I have the whole mix going. To each his own though. Nice work, though, and if eq is your biggest problem, then you are way ahead of the game.

This is very good too, although you kind of went the opposite and pulled out all the mids (kind of sounds like the "smiley-face" kind of eq curve) which kind of sucks all the punch out of it. Cool that you did your own take on the vocals mixing the lower octave vocals in at a higher level. I usually mix them in until I can just hear them and then take them back about 1 or 2 dbs and use them just to thicken the vocal. I use them just loud enough that I can just hear them if I solo the vocal, but not really if I have the whole mix going. To each his own though. Nice work, though, and if eq is your biggest problem, then you are way ahead of the game.

Thanks a lot for the comments! :)

But hmm.. Kind of weird cause I didnt use eq to cut any mids anywhere. When I did use eq it was mostly light low and high cut or a little band boost somewhere in mids. I tried listening it again and decided to cut some more highs in masterbus and put a slight boost somewhere around 400Hz. It maybe got a little better. My monitoring environment is currently quite horrible so it might also be because of that. I'll give it some more listens with a couple of headphones when I got time. :)

I didnt want to listen your mix too carefully before starting my own so I didnt really know how you had intented those vocals to be used. But well, I decided to do it this way, though the lower vocal is maybe just a bit too loud. I think the vocals had been lacking too much warmth otherwise and also I threw that lower vocal trough a guitar rig to get some agressive sound. The bass is also quite heavily processed and distorted.

Thanks a lot for the comments! :)

But hmm.. Kind of weird cause I didnt use eq to cut any mids anywhere. When I did use eq it was mostly light low and high cut or a little band boost somewhere in mids. I tried listening it again and decided to cut some more highs in masterbus and put a slight boost somewhere around 400Hz. It maybe got a little better. My monitoring environment is currently quite horrible so it might also be because of that. I'll give it some more listens with a couple of headphones when I got time. :)

EQ is one of the toughest battles out there...changing the frequencies of one thing can also affect the other tracks as well. Especially hard for those of us without stellar mixing environments. My car is usually my best test as I know the sound of my favorite cd's in there so well.

I didnt want to listen your mix too carefully before starting my own so I didnt really know how you had intented those vocals to be used. But well, I decided to do it this way, though the lower vocal is maybe just a bit too loud. I think the vocals had been lacking too much warmth otherwise and also I threw that lower vocal trough a guitar rig to get some agressive sound. The bass is also quite heavily processed and distorted.

That's what's cool about something like this...it's all so subjective and based so much on our own personal likes and dislikes. It also shows why you should seek other opinions when finishing up a mix...there are TONS of perspectives out there, and many one would not consider on their own! Anyway, great job, and thanks for giving us some background. Hope you enjoyed messing with the song!

Back