I love the shure SM-57.

Another reason I like the SM57: when I'm recording a live performance, and one of the dickwads decides to do the Punk Flail, and smashes one of my mics to the floor, I'm glad its an SM57 instead of something valuable.

Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

:D

I don't think a Neumann would sound any better than an SM57 on an overdriven Ampeg 810 with a frantically strummed P-bass.

bgavin said:

I don't think a Neumann would sound any better than an SM57 on an overdriven Ampeg 810 with a frantically strummed P-bass.

Just try:D I did already, the Neumann is the winner.

good mic for me...

hey guys, i'm a newbie home-recorder when it comes to recording my guitar onto my 4-track. i gotta say, the sm-57 might not be the best out there, but its definitly better than the first mic i got which came "free" with my $25 boom stand lol...audio technica or something like that.

Han said:
Just try:D I did already, the Neumann is the winner.
A turd captured with a golden box is still a turd.

The strummers are usually the mic-kickers. Howdya like to see your Neumann flying across the room? I'd rather it be a SM57...

OK, it is what it is. I don't use the SM57 either, in general, but I do keep one around. One, it's a great reference point. Any engineer that is worth shit knows what it sounds like. It is also a *great* vocal mic for a handful of voices, especially on spoken overdubs. We're working on a Hellenic Text, sort of a school class in philosophy combined with a standup comedy routine, and the 57 clearly won the shootout on that voice with a bunch of other mics in the running, including B.L.U.E Kiwi, Rode NTK, Shure SM7B, Shure SM82, and Neumann TLM127. Just on that voice, but it was the right mic at the right time.
My voice is different, and I do better with AKG dynamics, or that SM82, which I love. A 57 is a mic you put up when nothing is working, because it takes so well to EQ. I agree with Han's mic choices, but after sophisticated EQ is applied, the 57 will be a lot closer to the Sennheisers and Beyerdynamics he prefers. The 57 needs EQ, often, to sound good, and it is like a duck in water. In short, it's a mic I don't use much, but I would never be without it.

I've tried reading most of this thread so far. Did some research alone the way also. The Sennheiser MD421, seems like a good mic but, at $300? I have a small recording studio (well, 16x24). I have some friends who just moved in the area and we are ready to start a band. I was getting ready to order a SM57 to go in front of my guitar amp, For recording and playing live. Am I making a mistake. SM57 ($90) vs MD421 ($300). Is there something closer to the $90 range that is a better mic than the SM57? I'm also looking at the Sennheiser e609 at ($100), looks like a good choose also. I don't have $4000 to spend on a mic.

Last edited:
Flash,

Why don't you get either a Sennheiser E609 Silver for $99 or an Audio-Technica ATM29HE for the ridiculously low price of $45.95 from Full Compass? Both wipe out the overated Shure SM-57 anytime or anywhere. I find that most Sennheisers and A-Ts kick serious ass!:D

PinkStrat, I just edited my post before I realized you posted. I was checking out the e609 at musicians friend after I posted. Thanks for the reply. Are they really that much better? For only $10 more.

blanket statements

PinkStrat said:

Both wipe out the overated Shure SM-57 anytime or anywhere.

... i guess, "in your opinion" is implied, but i would be careful about making such bold statements concerning something as subjective as what sounds "good" to people... especially with so many variables involved with mics (placement, pre's, rooms, sources, monitors, etc).
peace- jv

Hi johneeeveee,

I have some ancient SM-57s that are quite good. However, I just do not think that the SM-57 is a mic that is spectacular where Sennheiser's lower quality mics (like the E609 Silver for instance) will leave the 57 DOA. Secondly, I am just tired of the SM-57 tone... I like a bigger more open sound see? I guess after hearing the Sennhesier MD441 was the real turning point for me too...Heck, I'd rather have a Shure SM7B over an SM-57 anytime. IMO of course! BTW, my comment was based around new Mexican made SM-57s.:)

well put, pink strat...

... thanks for the input, pink strat. i actually agree with you on a lot of your points. i like the e609 on larger guitar cabs, too, but i also like a 57 on some vocal tracks. different strokes and all that. i guess i just get a little tired of hearing, "this mic kills that mic", and "that mic sucks, this mic rules" sorta statements. i tend to give more weight to posts that offer some suggestions and alternatives, without stating opinions as "facts"... although it is kinda cool to see folks so passionate about tone. i know i am.
peace - jv

Hi johneeeveee,

Try the Audio-Technica ATM29HE out for a great dynamic--This mic is selling for only $45.95 at Full Compass right now! Well what does it sound like you ask? Think of an SM-57 that has some air to it but also has clear punch and nice crisp lows. I freak people out all the time with the ATM29HE. I also love the MD421-II as well for mic'ing guitar cabinets. BTW, The MD421-II also sounds great when recording acoustic guitar (as does the MD441-U). :cool:

... thanks for the ideas pinkstrat. i love to hear about cheap stuff that sounds surprisingly great, and i am a fan of audio technica (4050 is one of my favorite mics). i'll check out your suggestions when i get the chance. thanks for sharing.
peace - jv

The E609 has a flat, extended response similar to the Beyer M201. It looks interesting, and affordable.

The other night I put on the cans and did hand-held snooping with various mics around the drummers kit. Hand positioning is very revealing when listening in real time.

Using the SM57, I found I like the snare sound MUCH better from the bottom. Moving the SM57 to the cymbals was pure crap. And I mean nasty, ugly crap. Switching to a different mic was a world of improvement on cymbals.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by bgavin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Han
Just try I did already, the Neumann is the winner.

bgavin said:
A turd captured with a golden box is still a turd.

The strummers are usually the mic-kickers. Howdya like to see your Neumann flying across the room? I'd rather it be a SM57...

Oh Golly, do you think I'd better trade my Neumanns for SM57's then?

Are people trowing mics all over at your place? :D

Han said:
Oh Golly, do you think I'd better trade my Neumanns for SM57's then?
No, keep them for snob appeal.

Some folks can use any tool, others refuse to use anything except The Best. I prefer to record right now using inexpensive SM57s instead of recording nothing for months/years until I save enough money for Neumanns. I'll wager an expert using an SM57 produces better results than a clod using a Neumann.

Are people trowing mics all over at your place?
This is chronic problem with headbangers and drunk live performers. SM57s are a good choice in dangerous venues because they are sturdy and not expensive.

Yo', that's great, but I was reacting on your statement:

"I don't think a Neumann would sound any better than an SM57 on an overdriven Ampeg 810 with a frantically strummed P-bass".

I can assure you, I'm no snob, far from that, but a Neumann sounds a whole lot better on an Ampeg than a freakin' 57 :D

Of course you have the right to remain silence, anything you say can and will hold against you on a microphone forum :D

Peace.

One of my favorite mics for bass amps is the MD421, and I've had good results with the Rode NT3 also.

Back