I love the shure SM-57.

While the SM57 is extremely versatile, plus the fact that it doesn't really suck on anything, and its given price-point, may tend to make it over-used, but I disagree that its over-rated.

Snob appeal aside, the reasonable price and ubiquitous nature of the SM57 allows recording to occur now, not in the future.

If I had to wait to fill my mic locker with the mics mentioned above, I would not be recording today. As it is, I'm getting lots of recording time and practical experience right now.

Han said:
Interesting discussion about a mic that's so much loved by so many.
It's an el cheapo mic that sounds kind of decent on almost everything, but I've never heard a great sound of it.

It sounds great on snare? No, not great and the hat bleed sounds plain bad on it. A Beyer M201 sounds a hundred times better on snare.

But it sounds great on a guitar amp then? No, a Senny MD421 sounds way better on any amp, not to mention a 441.
A Beyer M88 or even an M69 sounds so much better on amps too.

But what is it good for ? Like I said, I never use it, but it's a good mic for PA jobs.

What I still don't get -and you'll find this on any audio forum- , is the overrating of a mic like the 57 and on the other side the underrating of a mic like the C1000S, which is too expensive for it's quality, but can sound pretty good in a number of applications.

Have a nice day!
Are there some general purpose LDC budget mics you have that fall into the same category?

Han said:
It's an el cheapo mic that sounds kind of decent on almost everything, but I've never heard a great sound of it.

It sounds great on snare? No, not great and the hat bleed sounds plain bad on it. A Beyer M201 sounds a hundred times better on snare.

But it sounds great on a guitar amp then? No, a Senny MD421 sounds way better on any amp, not to mention a 441.

But what is it good for ? Like I said, I never use it, but it's a good mic for PA jobs.

What I still don't get -and you'll find this on any audio forum- , is the overrating of a mic like the 57 and on the other side the underrating of a mic like the C1000S, which is too expensive for it's quality, but can sound pretty good in a number of applications.

... but you must agree (or maybe not), that there have been a lot of great recordings done with a 57 on snare, and on guitar amps. your opinion is as valid as the next engineers, but some classic stuff has been done with this little workhorse. right?
peace - jv

DJL said:
Are there some general purpose LDC budget mics you have that fall into the same category?

DJL, what are you after bro? You know what my opinion is about el cheopo LDC's, but for those who don't know, IMHO the SP B1 is a great bang for the buck.

Comparing it to a 57 is apples/oranges, but for all the homerecording guys with a tight budget, the B1 is a blessing.

johneeeveee said:
... but you must agree (or maybe not), that there have been a lot of great recordings done with a 57 on snare, and on guitar amps. your opinion is as valid as the next engineers, but some classic stuff has been done with this little workhorse. right?
peace - jv

John, I agree with you and actually I have used a 57 on snare for quite some time. The snare sound is okay, but the bleed is sometimes nasty sounding, especially with hi hat bashers.

Talk to me again after you've tried a M201.

I have never liked it on guitar amps. In fact the 57 isn't a great sounding mic at all, sometimes it sounds like a boxy piece of shit on amps, but hey, that's me. I guess I'm spoiled:D

bgavin said:
Snob appeal aside, the reasonable price and ubiquitous nature of the SM57 allows recording to occur now, not in the future.

If I had to wait to fill my mic locker with the mics mentioned above, I would not be recording today. As it is, I'm getting lots of recording time and practical experience right now.

aleluya!! :D

i mean...yes, there may be mics that sound waaaay better (never actually compared as my mic locker is not big at all) but just as bgavin said, for many of us that record in with probably not the best equipment in our homes or maybe at another small location with a budget its a mic that KICKS ASS, and even more if try to get the most of it (like michael did)

hmmm also i think that it depends on the engineer, a GOOD engineer may do wonders with a 57 and a regular preamps...probably a better job that i would do with a telenfunken (just to mention a brand) and the best preamp i could find....

if i had the money, id buy many of the mics mentioned before...but for what?? to use it with my crapy mixer and my crapy soundcard?? hehehe

so for the price and for the fact that it stands the pass of time (and one or two falls lol) and that it sounds decent on many sources...in my opinion its a ver good mic

just my opinion ;)

memo

Han said:

Have a nice day!

Han said:
DJL, what are you after bro? You know what my opinion is about el cheopo LDC's, but for those who don't know, IMHO the SP B1 is a great bang for the buck.

Comparing it to a 57 is apples/oranges, but for all the homerecording guys with a tight budget, the B1 is a blessing.
I don't know what your opinion is about budget LDC mics... and that's what I was asking.

Have you ever heard a LDC budget mic that sounds GREAT on almost everything, or just decent... meaning do they sounds great on snare, or are there better mics for that?

How about kick, or are there better mics for that too, or voice overs, or are there better mics for that too?

Do they sound great on a guitar amps, or are there other mics that sound much better?

Also, you said "and on the other side the underrating of a mic like the C1000S, which is too expensive for it's quality, but can sound pretty good in a number of applications." please give us an example of those applications?

Let talk about apples and oranges... what is the Shure SM57, an apple or an orange... and what mics do you feel are fair to compare with the SM57?

Track Rat said:
C-1000's sound very good on a snare or toms. Also in front of an amp. There ya go.
Oh, I know what you and I like them for and I know Harvey hates the C1000S, and etc, etc... but, I want to know what Han likes them for.

Hmmm. Interesting, guys. I never thought of using one on snare.

DJL & Trackrat: How's the hi-hat bleed? Something gives me the feeling I wouldn't want to hear what it might sound like on a c1000. But if the hypercard pattern is tight enough, then I can see where they might be of use. And can they handle the higher spl's for the rockers who like to really lay in to it? Would you use one on, say, Bonham? :D Let me know when you get the chance. I can't believe I might actually find myself on ebay hunting for a c1000 to try out on snare. :D

chessrock said:
Hmmm. Interesting, guys. I never thought of using one on snare.

DJL & Trackrat: How's the hi-hat bleed? Something gives me the feeling I wouldn't want to hear what it might sound like on a c1000. But if the hypercard pattern is tight enough, then I can see where they might be of use. Let me know when you get the chance. I can't believe I might actually find myself on ebay hunting for a c1000 to try out on snare. :D
I like the C1000S more on toms than the snare... but, it's not bad on snare if you point it away from the hat and etc. But, I still like the M201 on snare more most of the time. I also like the MD421 or SM57 on snare... but, it depends on the drummer, snare, and style... many people don't know how to place a mic on snare. For example, on a tight snare I like a SM57 pointed stright down and really close to the head, and about an inch in from the rim.

Bonham... I'd use MD421's or something like old U87 placed on the other side of the room or maybe even down the hall some. ;)

Last edited:
SM57

I love them as well, all I use for recording guitar. Maybe they only sound like crap in the Netherlands?

DJL, I own a Neumann M149 as you might know and I have access to almost any great mic you can imagine because a friend of mine owns many classics and rents them.

I'm talking about U47, U67, M49, M50, ELA M250/251 and many others. So I happen to know how a great mic sounds through a great pre into a hi end two inch machine.

Compared to these great mics a 57 sounds uh......not so good, but hey, he has an ELA M 251 in mint condition and had an offer of 20 grand for it. How many 57's can you buy for 20K?

That sounds snobbish, I know that, but let me tell you something more. The most difficult things to record are not snares, toms and guitar amps, but pianos, violins, voilas, chellos, accordeons, saxophones, clarinets, hobos, acoustic guitars, upright bass and things like that, not to mention vocals.

If you put a pair of 57's or C1000's on a grand piano, you will never get a good sound. If you put a really nice tube mic like an MXL V69 or V77 on a saxophone, next to a Neumann M50, you will be amazed how much better the Neumann sounds.

Still the V69 and V77 are very nice mics.

Back to the 57 and C1000, I have sold my two C1000's because I didn't use them, but seven or eight years ago I used them every day and like others said, it can sound pretty decent on (bigger) toms, percussion, never used it on snare, but it isn't as bad as some posters want us to believe. There are better mics for less money these days, but 10 years ago there were no SP and MXL mics yet.

What can I compare to a 57? I think the 57 is for its price not comparable with other dynamics in the same price class, most decent dynamics are more expensive, so I think it's a good deal. But when someone says it sounds great, I take the liberty to disagree.

To answer one of your questions, there is a LCD mic that sounds brilliant on nearly everything, a Neumann M149.
Not that I would use it for snare, but I'm sure it will sound great.

On the Neumann pinboard there have been questions whether you can use it on kick or not and the Neumann staff answered you can, as long as you don't hit it with the beater.

DJL buddy, it's about time for you to rent a really great mic and find out how a first class mic sounds, you will be surprised.

Peace.

Han said:
DJL,
The most difficult things to record are not snares, toms and guitar amps, but pianos, violins, voilas, chellos, accordeons, saxophones, clarinets, hobos, acoustic guitars, upright bass and things like that, not to mention vocals.

ROFLMAO
Especially when they try to harmonize. :D:D

Sorry, Han. Just a typo, I know.

Originally posted by Han

Have a nice day!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by DJL

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Han

Originally posted by DJL
I don't know what your opinion is about budget LDC mics... and that's what I was asking.

Have you ever heard a LDC budget mic that sounds GREAT on almost everything, or just decent... meaning do they sounds great on snare, or are there better mics for that?

How about kick, or are there better mics for that too, or voice overs, or are there better mics for that too?

Do they sound great on a guitar amps, or are there other mics that sound much better?

Also, you said "and on the other side the underrating of a mic like the C1000S, which is too expensive for it's quality, but can sound pretty good in a number of applications." please give us an example of those applications?

Let talk about apples and oranges... what is the Shure SM57, an apple or an orange... and what mics do you feel are fair to compare with the SM57
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Han said:
DJL, I own a Neumann M149 as you might know and I have access to almost any great mic you can imagine because a friend of mine owns many classics and rents them.

I'm talking about U47, U67, M49, M50, ELA M250/251 and many others. So I happen to know how a great mic sounds through a great pre into a hi end two inch machine.

Compared to these great mics a 57 sounds uh......not so good, but hey, he has an ELA M 251 in mint condition and had an offer of 20 grand for it. How many 57's can you buy for 20K?

That sounds snobbish, I know that, but let me tell you something more. The most difficult things to record are not snares, toms and guitar amps, but pianos, violins, voilas, chellos, accordeons, saxophones, clarinets, hobos, acoustic guitars, upright bass and things like that, not to mention vocals.

If you put a pair of 57's or C1000's on a grand piano, you will never get a good sound. If you put a really nice tube mic like an MXL V69 or V77 on a saxophone, next to a Neumann M50, you will be amazed how much better the Neumann sounds.

Still the V69 and V77 are very nice mics.

Back to the 57 and C1000, I have sold my two C1000's because I didn't use them, but seven or eight years ago I used them every day and like others said, it can sound pretty decent on (bigger) toms, percussion, never used it on snare, but it isn't as bad as some posters want us to believe. There are better mics for less money these days, but 10 years ago there were no SP and MXL mics yet.

What can I compare to a 57? I think the 57 is for its price not comparable with other dynamics in the same price class, most decent dynamics are more expensive, so I think it's a good deal. But when someone says it sounds great, I take the liberty to disagree.

To answer one of your questions, there is a LCD mic that sounds brilliant on nearly everything, a Neumann M149.
Not that I would use it for snare, but I'm sure it will sound great.

On the Neumann pinboard there have been questions whether you can use it on kick or not and the Neumann staff answered you can, as long as you don't hit it with the beater.

DJL buddy, it's about time for you to rent a really great mic and find out how a first class mic sounds, you will be surprised.

Peace.
This doen't really seem to fit... unless you apply the same type thinking to your LDC budget mics?

PS, I'm done editing... sorry about that... lol.

Last edited:
crazydoc said:
ROFLMAO
Especially when they try to harmonize. :D:D

Sorry, Han. Just a typo, I know.

It wasn't too bad for a Dutch guy, was it?:D

Het was niet zo slecht voor een Nederlander, toch?:D

Han said:

what major improvements would i notice in the sound of the snare by using an M201 over an sm57. I'm not attacking or questioning the opinion of anyone saying its a superior mic to the 57... i actually want to know incase i might buy one, so i'd like to know what improvements im likely to notice. Also, are there any recordings I might know that have used this as a snare mic? Thanks.

Han said:
It wasn't too bad for a Dutch guy, was it?:D

Het was niet zo slecht voor een Nederlander, toch?:D

Voor een Nederlander!

Actually, your English is better than many of the Americans' posting here. :)

Back