HRC: CAUTION! Totally naked!

M.Brane

IANFnaked

A little background:

My good friend and partner in musical crime who is primarily a drummer, but also plays guitar & keys came over one day a while back with this idea in his head.

The drums are the second take, and the guitar is third take both him. I played the bass (I think this was the third take), and engineered. He hadn't played the drums in a couple months. Damn!:eek:

There are absolutely no effects on this at all. Zero, zip, nada. No editing either (unlike my posts:D The only thing I did to this in PT was lower the fader on each track 1db to keep from clipping the mix bus, and insert the dither plug-in on the master fader for the bounce from 24 down to 16.

Let me know what you think......

DEAr Jesussss!!! Of all the autotuned of autotuned!!! thos jhas to nbe the most autotunedest of the autoneds!!!

serio7usly no autowtunes allowed, but um what is that anyway?//

Khompewtur said:
DEAr Jesussss!!! Of all the autotuned of autotuned!!! thos jhas to nbe the most autotunedest of the autoneds!!!

serio7usly no autowtunes allowed, but um what is that anyway?//

Hmmmm. Two possibilities here:

1: You don't know how to deal with a VBR mp3

2: The slight chorus effect you hear is simply the guitar being a bit flat. Hey, the man was on a roll, and I wasn't about to step on his vibe just to tune the guitar up a couple cents.

Cool tune man.Nice RAW tracks.:D The bass seems a little flabby but thats to be expected to some extent with the NO eq rule.LOL....nice guitar groove....the drums sound REALLY good to me..Kick is nice and STRONG.LOL.For someone who hadn't played the drums in a couple months,he's wailing on them.Decent tune and mix dude.

P.S. what the hell kind of language is Khompewtur speaking?Looks like drunk typing to me.LMAO!

Thanks Kramer!

Yeah, I kinda wonder about Khompewtur too, but figured I'd give him(?) the benefit of a doubt.

Especially since I don't even have Autotune.

Don't see myself buying it anytime soon either. Nothing against Autotune, just don't need it.:p

Yeah this is about as raw as it gets. Actually that flabby bass is my playing! LOL! That's to be expected tracking the third time you ever played the song.;)

I like the tones on everything-guitar sound is pretty fat---snare sounds good--bass is a bit "clicky" but easily fixable.

What isnt fixable is the timing stuff (or maybe it is?)

Is this intended as an instrumental?

Would you go with this towards a finished product or retrack?

I like the riffage and the bare power trio feel. Good tracking-though I woulda shot for more precise performances before I called it a night.

Enjoyed it-way to rise to the challenge.

Stratomaster:

This was just a scratch-track to capture the idea. It's not intended as an instrumental, but there are no words for it at this time.

Actually I think the "timing" on this is pretty good. I hate click tracks.;)

Think about this: this guy plays guitar with almost all up-strokes. Try that sometime. :D

Thanks for the listen & critique.:)

Re: Thanks Kramer!

M.Brane said:
Actually that flabby bass is my playing! LOL! That's to be expected tracking the third time you ever played the song.;)

I wasnt knocking your playing.LOL..I was talking about the tone.I used the word flabby instead of "stringy".LOL.

Was the bass recorded direct?

The bass sounds unfocused and flabby as hell. It seems to almost flub up the kick in spots.

The playing is great but the bass is screwing the mix up the most here.

That is the most glaring thing to my ears, I can't hear past it. It needs retracking. Get a better placement on that mic!

The ideas here are very cool. So is the playing - but kind of rough and out of tune btw bass and guitar. The interaction btw the parts, especially the main riff, is great. I'd love to hear this when you get a final mix.

I gotta agree there are timing issues. I'd think trying this without a click track would be a nightmare unless you record a really tight live version.

All up strokes? Never heard of that, not for this style anyway. I play all downstrokes sometimes. Why does he do that? To be honest, I don't know that it the effort is worth it. The guitar part is very cool, but I'm not thinking "I wonder why it sounds that way. I wonder how he did that".

In this mix I find the bass is too up front and distracting. And it sounds "clicky" as stratomaster pointed out.

Just a reminder... I did not think up the idea for this challenge... so I have no problem saying....

this is a freaking great idea. :p

Being able to hear people's stuff in this state is so much more telling than only being able to hear a "modified" end-result.

OK. I agree aboot the bass. What I think I'm hearing is too many highs, or not enough lows. It may be your mic position, or the mic itself, (or hell... maybe even the bass. :p) but you're just not capturing enough bottom-end oat of that bass. Most of what we're hearing is the mid/high end "pop" of you hitting the strings. Maybe try different mics/positions until you start capturing more of the low-end.

The git was a little mid heavy. (not enough high-end presence) This again may be the mic/position or even the settings on the amp... or hey.. maybe that's just how you like it. :D

The drums sound too distant (especially the toms). I'm not sure what methods you're using to mic them, but you should work a little more with getting the mics right up on the toms/snare, and working with the over-heads a little.

Although..... if this was just a quick recording to capture the idea of the song... then you might as well just ignore all of this. :D :p

Cool tune, btw. I dig the drumming in certain parts.

WATYF

P.S. what the hell kind of language is Khompewtur speaking?Looks like drunk typing to me.LMAO!

Yeah, good call Kramer. A nice non-sensical post at 2:30 a.m. on a Saturday from me and even the mighty Sherlock might hypothesize "Aye, the lad's sauced! SHIVER ME TIMBERS":D

So anyway, MBrane I don't even know what autotune is I just saw so many autotune comments i wanted to add one. I think you kept very true to what the nature of this excercise was supposed to be about. Good job. One thing I would've liked to see though would've been those naked vox.

In our predetermined scoring system I award 52 points to House Hufflepuff!

Last edited:
Kramer & jake:

The bass was done direct through my MKIII head into my Mac. I think I ran from the preamp out on this instead of the direct out on the power amp. I'm still trying to get that Chris Squire/Geddy Lee tone from my cheap Aria medium-scale bass.

Ain't working too good, is it? :o I agree that it's clicky as hell, and needs to be re-done. Maybe I'll do that later when I get back from my ride.

Thanks for the listen, guys.:)

fprod south:

I don't know why he uses so many up-strokes, but that's just how he plays. It sounds really cool on some stuff like when we both play the same part only I use the usual down-strokes.

Yeah the performance is a bit loose in a few spots. The other thing that might be doing it is I don't believe I ever nudged the guitar & bass tracks to compensate for the slight latency in my system. That can do wonders for the groove sometimes.

Thanks!:)

WATYF:

The guitar was done with my trusty JCM800/412 Vintage slant, 57 on the edge of the cone about 1/8" from the cloth. I used a pre-amp pedal to boost the guitar's signal into the amp, and ran the amps pre on about 7. I don't remember exactly where the master was, but it was loud as hell in here!

Drums are the usual 2 ECM's (1 over the snare, the other behind and lower near the floor tom) and a 57 in the kick laying on the pillow. I definately need to get some more treatment in this room. The early reflections are killing me!:eek: Some better mics wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for the listen!:)

Khompewtur:

LOL! I had a few myself last night, and figured that might be the case.

Unfortunately neither one of us is much of a lyric writer. That's why this has been sitting for a while. Just thought it would be a good candidate for the challenge. I'll see what we can come up with. Could be cool to see how this evolves with input from the clinic.

Thanks!:)

Actually I think the "timing" on this is pretty good. I hate click tracks.
I thought the timing was extra good myself for the way you two guys were playing...thought i was the only one who hated click tracks..i'm not alone anymore LOL.

For raw bare to the bone scratch trks, this thing rocks! Drums were killer..watch those "subsonic's" on that bass tho:) you know how they tend to build up:D *****

Well, it sure sounds "REAL" if you know what I mean. Has an "I was there" vibe to it which I like. I can hear the natural space that you were playing in--no extra verb or whatever. I think I'm gonna dig hearing all these uneffected mixes. Makes me look forward to trying one myself.

Yeah, it's fine. Nice clear sound. Comes across thin on the wrong headphones, though. Is that useful information?

I don't understand the bit about no effects, though. Those drums sound compressed or limited to me. So, you can get that sound just by turning down the gain? That's interesting.

yeah, that bass is bouncing around like crazy....very nice for a dry mix.....i'd like to hear a mixed version of this w/ some effects.......drums sound great just the way they are

Very nice playing throughout. There were a few spots where the drums sounded kind of buried (more so in the first section)...but I think that may just be my computer...

It really sounds live and doesn't sound like there were multiple overdubs. That in itself is a great accomplishment!

Very nice!

This is the first HRC submission I have listened to...Very cool way to kick it off!

Khompewtur said:
Yeah, good call Kramer. A nice non-sensical post at 2:30 a.m. on a Saturday from me and even the mighty Sherlock might hypothesize "Aye, the lad's sauced! SHIVER ME TIMBERS":D

LMAO!! (pewtur,...had me scared there for a while!)

Brane,

I like you naked!:D

Great scratch! (If your partner in crime shed every day for a bit, he'd be a force to be reckoned with!!)

Effective syncopation and rhythmic deception galore! Nicely executed for so few takes.

Savin this one for future reference!

Ralph

Groovy riff.
Pretty straight forward hard hittingmix.
Sounds like a live jam (a good one at that). Lot's of punch. There was something a little distant about the drums and some bass issues that have been mentioned.

Back