HR Members guitar design and build thread

Neck through is sposed to be more stable and allow easier access to upper frets.

Not sure I agree there. Neck thru theoretically has the disadvantage of the centre warping or pulling beyond the truss rod.. Once that happens it is fubar to a large degree. However if done properly and using a laminate construction that problem can be minimised. One of the main problems with thru necks is that any repairs to badly adjusted neck sets or twisted necks is costly. I wouldn't agree that they have more sustain than a set neck which is a common belief.

Each design has it's pro's and cons. None is "better" or "worse". I quite like the idea of thru necks with a top plate on them because it hides the thru neck and helps add strength where the truss rod ends. I also like the compact solution of tenoning the body section part into a one piece body either from in front or behind. Theoretically you should get much of any perceived advantages of a thru neck with added stability without adding the cost or weight of a cap. Most solutions will work if you do them well.

Not sure I agree there. Neck thru theoretically has the disadvantage of the centre warping or pulling beyond the truss rod.. Once that happens it is fubar to a large degree. However if done properly and using a laminate construction that problem can be minimised. One of the main problems with thru necks is that any repairs to badly adjusted neck sets or twisted necks is costly. I wouldn't agree that they have more sustain than a set neck which is a common belief.

Each design has it's pro's and cons. None is "better" or "worse". I quite like the idea of thru necks with a top plate on them because it hides the thru neck and helps add strength where the truss rod ends. I also like the compact solution of tenoning the body section part into a one piece body either from in front or behind. Theoretically you should get much of any perceived advantages of a thru neck with added stability without adding the cost or weight of a cap. Most solutions will work if you do them well.

That's why I said "sposed" multi, I don't really agree with it either, and I wouldn't fancy hacking off wings to do a neck repair. :)

That's why I said "sposed" multi, I don't really agree with it either, and I wouldn't fancy hacking of wings to do a neck repair. :)

You wouldn't, you route away and scarf a matching piece in it's place. You always try and keep as much of the original as possible as a basic principle, just get rid of the fubar bits.

My vote is for a 25" scale bolt on 24 fret neck. These necks are far more rare than any other neck configuration. I tried to find one as a replacement for my Fender HM Strat and they are virtually non-existent.

If we're to that point yet, my vote is "anything but neck-thru." Based on this thread, and that thread from forever ago about set vs. bolt on necks, I don't care. I don't see enough reason to have a neck-thru, other than the cool factor. If Mutt just wants to cover it up to add stability, what's the point?

Cool I like all the choices so far... Are we going to pick wood and body type and stuff? This is pretty cool.

If we're to that point yet, my vote is "anything but neck-thru." Based on this thread, and that thread from forever ago about set vs. bolt on necks, I don't care. I don't see enough reason to have a neck-thru, other than the cool factor. If Mutt just wants to cover it up to add stability, what's the point?

I don't like the look of them so I guess that is part of the reason I'd like a cap on there. There is nothing inherently wrong with the design but it can be a pia to put right if and when things do go wrong. Many basses still use neck thru as standard with no problem but I would always recommend some sort of laminated construction to give it stability. Not long ago I did a five string bass with a five piece laminate thru neck. Came out fine.

Attachments

• kbass.jpg
    kbass.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 35
Cool I like all the choices so far... Are we going to pick wood and body type and stuff? This is pretty cool.

We is gonna pick everything. All in good time..:)

Are you going to vote on scale length and neck join? The more the merrier...

Last edited:
1 1/2 HOURS TO GO AND THE VOTING STANDS AS FOLLOWS

Scale length

24.75" 3 votes

25.00" 1 votes
25.50" 3 votes

Neck set

Bolt on 1 votes
Set 3 votes
Thru 5 votes

Updated 22/09/2011 11.24am GMT

We need more votes on the scale length. I don't want to have to use the casting vote on this one. If I have to I'm going to base my decision on the reasons given so far by members when voting..:)

Just had a proper read and count up of the votes on neck set and scale length. Here is what we have

Gerg - 24.75" - set or thru neck - Playability and solid feel of thru neck, "fuller" sound.

stevieb ------ thru neck - looks cool...

The Mutt - 25" - set neck - personal preference. Set neck. Keeps more later options available.

Lt.B - 25.5" - thru neck. - Likes extra tension of longer scale and increased access to upper positions.

Chili - 24.75" - thru neck. - Into short scale and interested in construction method for possible build.

Milinoque - 25.5" - anything but bolt on. - Extra tension of longer scale.

theDickens - 25.5" - bolt or set - increased access to upper frets.

Cmunch - 24.75 - set neck - Personal preferences.

ocnor - 25" - bolt neck. - Can't find one similar..

That gives us..

Scale length

24.75" - 3 votes
25.00" - 2 votes
25.50" - 3 votes

Neck set ( giving half point for split preference)

Set neck - 3 1/2 votes
Bolt on - 1 1/2 votes
Thru neck - 4 votes

This leaves us with a split decision on 24.75" and 25.5" scale length. I'm going to hold fire on a casting vote for a few hours in case anyone else can drop by with a vote and also to let you all persuade me which way to go.:D

It seems we are going with thru neck for now. But in the light of the scale length split I'll hold that open for a few hours as well.

What do you guys think we should decide on next? Give me something to work with here.

Back