HR Members guitar design and build thread

So is the issue of neck joint settled?

How is english walnut as a neck wood? I would expect it's properties to be similar to maple.

Perhaps we could do a 5-ply neck of english or curly claro walnut with curly maple stringers and a padauk center stripe. The wings could also be padauk. The bright color would be very much in keeping with a surf guitar.

SGs have gone through a wide variety of neck profiles. I agree that the popular wide flat profile is pretty flexible. Some of the others, not so much. Is it your experience that Les Pauls and 335s have this problem?
haven't played 335s much but no, I haven't run into that with pauls.

So is the issue of neck joint settled?

How is english walnut as a neck wood? I would expect it's properties to be similar to maple.

Perhaps we could do a 5-ply neck of english or curly claro walnut with curly maple stringers and a padauk center stripe. The wings could also be padauk. The bright color would be very much in keeping with a surf guitar.

We have settled on thru neck yes...

5 ply can often look too busy for my taste but it's entirely possible.

Padauk... That stuff has the worst splinters on the planet.:mad: Not a problem using it other than that. If we are going chambered though which it looks like we are then it may not be the best choice. Padauk also darkens done pretty quickly to a brown colour, it doesn't keep that vibrant red for long.

OK guys, I've had chater take the sticky off this thread and hopefully it will sink into oblivion. The design and build will carry on in a group over at

The HR members design and build group.

Hopefully that way we can stay on topic and get things done a little quicker. I'm almost about fit enough to get back in the workshop and do some physical work now the knee is repairing. If we aim to have the basics of the build wrapped by the end of the week I'll pull some timber together over the weekend and start on the final drawings. Hopefully then we start cutting some blanks...

I've sent invites to the group to all those that seem interested. If I've left anyone out or you would like to get involved just join up and dive in...

Thanks to all that have stuck with it so far and hope to see you all there for a slightly more productive discussion.

I sincerely hope that this materialises into a decent guitar after all this falling out. :D

However, I feel that someting designed by committee is always going to end up looking like the guitar version of an anteater, or a Platypus. :D

It's gonna look like some lame-assed PRS. :facepalm:

OK guys, I've had chater take the sticky off this thread and hopefully it will sink into oblivion. The design and build will carry on in a group over at

The HR members design and build group.

Hopefully that way we can stay on topic and get things done a little quicker. I'm almost about fit enough to get back in the workshop and do some physical work now the knee is repairing. If we aim to have the basics of the build wrapped by the end of the week I'll pull some timber together over the weekend and start on the final drawings. Hopefully then we start cutting some blanks...

I've sent invites to the group to all those that seem interested. If I've left anyone out or you would like to get involved just join up and dive in...

Thanks to all that have stuck with it so far and hope to see you all there for a slightly more productive discussion.

You forgot to send my invite, silly old fart. :)

Back