• 1gb

Votes: 233 36.3%
  • 2gb

Votes: 33 5.1%
  • 3-4gb!?

Votes: 8 1.2%

• Total voters
dobro said:
Yeah, 512 with a fast Pentium 4 processor, and I still get some stuttering on playback in Cool Edit even with the buffers adjusted.

So what's that about? l It ain't about the RAM or the processor.
I need to look into that, as well, dobro.

I have plenty of hardware... but the tracks I mixed in the Chris Harris "Juliet" challenge are stuttering, too.

With twin Xeons, a gig of ddr ram, three hard drives.... I don't know why it's stuttering.:mad:

512 DDR 2700...I feel like an ass for not buying those 512 sticks when they were on sale for 50$ each...(Canadian)

It works pretty damn good, although occasionally it does stutter with too many plug-ins on n-track. I should probably adjust my buffers :D.

Sincerely,

The King of Procrastination...

1GB here. I just wanted a GB because I've always wanted a computer with a GB of RAM. I'm not convinced I'd notice any difference if I pulled out one of those sticks just relying on system %usage numbers. But then I wouldn't have a computer with a GB of RAM. The consensus seems to be 512 is a min for Win XP.

No stuttering here doing that Juliet project and I doubled some of those tracks and had three or more plug-ins going on each track.

But I do notice that on my MIDI machine (Win98 PII450) it will occasionally develop a stutter even sending just MIDI! A reboot always fixes it. Weird!

512MB PC-133

I so far have no need for anymore.

Stuttering on Juliet? Whats so demanding about that project? i will have to check it out.

darnold said:
512MB PC-133

I so far have no need for anymore.

Stuttering on Juliet? Whats so demanding about that project? i will have to check it out.
It must have been the way I did the background vox, cause when I removed those tracks... it played without a hitch.

I added three additional tracks of each of the background vox... and I think the program and computer were having a hard time with pulling a total of 8 tracks out of two sound files... all at nearly the same point in time... plus effects.

It renders out, fine, however.

I guess the right answer would be to work the background vox into a single stereo file, and mix accordingly.

I'm upgrading from 1Gb 266MHz to 1Gb 333MHz ram this afternoon...I'm curious if I'll notice the difference (also upgrade from Athlon XP2,200 to 2,600)

Herwig

1G PC800 Overclocked to about 930 MHZ on an ABIT TH7-II RAID running a P4 2.4G Clocked at 2.78G with RAID Controlled drives for a total of 148G ATA-100 space on-line through an ATI-Radeon 7500 Graphics card.

Yeah, It really hasn't given me any trouble. I have one song on SF Acid with 83 tracks, real-time effects on all and it doesn't even glitch. I like it :D

Now I just need to get me a real fricking recording system. I love SF Acid, but my little 2 channel "stereo" input needs to go.

fierojoe said:
1G PC800 Overclocked to about 930 MHZ on an ABIT TH7-II RAID running a P4 2.4G Clocked at 2.78G with RAID Controlled drives for a total of 148G ATA-100 space on-line through an ATI-Radeon 7500 Graphics card.

Yeah, It really hasn't given me any trouble. I have one song on SF Acid with 83 tracks, real-time effects on all and it doesn't even glitch. I like it :D

Now I just need to get me a real fricking recording system. I love SF Acid, but my little 2 channel "stereo" input needs to go.

so i'm guessing thats @ 16/44.1?

Teacher said:
so i'm guessing thats @ 16/44.1?

Yeah. I've run all the way up to 88.4@24bit but my sound card really sounds digital at that speed. I have actually found that I get a nicer guitar tone recording at 32@16bit, but obviously I don't do that on vox. That will change when I get a real system though, but for now, it works OK I guess.

1792Mb 266DDR PC2100

512Mbx3 + 256Mb

I can get about 3 dozen instruments in Logic with EQ and reverb on each.

Back