How much did you pay for your most expensive axe?

How much did you spend on your most expensive guitar? (US Dollars)

• Less than $200 (never buy an axe you couldn't also use as firewood)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • $200 - 500 (hey, Ibanez makes some pretty sleek stuff)

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • $500 - 750 (I wish I was big)

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • $750 - 1000 (Girlfriends? pfft, guitars are so much more fun)

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • $1000 - 1500 (Ooo, quadruple digits)

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • Holy crap, over $1500 (I sold my son into slavery for it)

Votes: 70 37.4%

• Total voters
I really like yours miner, I like the lack of binding and the colour. Get rid of that plastic bit of vandalism on the front
Pickguard's been off for about a year now dude, dunno if I have any pics of it like that or not....

Ahhh, the Les Paul pickguard debate.

I'm on team pickguard. I like the look. It's classic. It's original. Les Pauls with pickguards look like they're supposed to look. I prefer pickguards on pretty much any guitar. Probably because I don't give even half a fuck about wood grain.

Ahhh, the Les Paul pickguard debate.

I'm on team pickguard. I like the look. It's classic. It's original. Les Pauls with pickguards look like they're supposed to look. I prefer pickguards on pretty much any guitar. Probably because I don't give even half a fuck about wood grain.

I wouldn't have thought you cared about these needless adornments, Greg. You'll be singing the priases of false f holes next.

I wouldn't have thought you cared about these needless adornments, Greg. You'll be singing the priases of false f holes next.

Nope. I don't go that far.

But I generally don't care for the sleek slick wanky look of pickguard-less guitars. I like visual accouterments like binding and stuff. I just do. For me, take any guitar that can be had with or without a pickguard, and I'll prefer the with-pickguard version.

I guess for me it's similar to the street rod trends. I hated the 90s when everyone shaved their door handles and went with body-colored bumpers, or worse, no bumpers. Hideous. I hated it. Since when does a door handle or a windshield wiper detract from the performance of a car? It doesn't. It doesn't do anything for it either, but it doesn't detract. Cars have door handles. Same with a pickguard. It's just supposed to be there. A guitar without a pickguard looks like a head without ears to me.

Just to be honest, I took the pickguard off because it's that baby-shit butterscotch color. The p'up rings are too, but I'm eventually gonna put white or cream rings & pickguard on it....eventually...

Myself, I could care less about all that shit too, I just got tired of looking at that shitty color.....:laughings:.

Just to be honest, I took the pickguard off because it's that baby-shit butterscotch color. The p'up rings are too, but I'm eventually gonna put white or cream rings & pickguard on it....eventually...

Myself, I could care less about all that shit too, I just got tired of looking at that shitty color.....:laughings:.

I saw your guitar in black trim not too long ago. Looked great.

See, I don't mind a bit of wood-grain but I hate additional stuck on bits. My new guitar has no binding (on the body or neck), no pick-guard and no pickup rings - pick-ups screwed straight into mountings in body (well, in my case - neck thru). You can barely see the woodgrain on the top of my guitar anyway 'cos its so dark. The back is quite grainy, but not in a fancy way, its just spalted swamp-ash.

That looks cool, Greg. I would prefer it without the pickguard though and black nickel pickup rings instead of plastic. Someone posted a pic of a Les Paul recently that appeared to have a dull brushed bridge and tail pieced instead of a shiney one. That was nice.

Here's mine

Goldtop, with pickguard, the original classic the way it's supposed to be.

The only thing I might wanna do to that guitar is put covers on the pickups, or get the covered Busrtbuckers. I'm not 100% crazy about the open coil look, but they sound so good I'm probably just gonna leave it. I do like how the zebra coils give it a slightly modernized customized look, but nickel covers would look straight outta 1957.

Seeing as we're just posting our favourite amatuer guitar-****:

Descendant-mk-3-44.jpg
Descendant-mk-3-39.jpg
Descendant-mk-3-10.jpg

I absolutely love this thing - I'm playing better than I have in years but I also know so much more about how to play well now.

The only thing I might wanna do to that guitar is put covers on the pickups, or get the covered Busrtbuckers. I'm not 100% crazy about the open coil look

Les Pauls were meant to have pickup covers. I agree on the pickguards, too. The owner had it off and it's in the case, just haven't had motivation to put it back on yet.

Dig your studio, miner. Of course, I pretty much dig any gibson les paul. :)

Here's mine

The only thing I might wanna do to that guitar is put covers on the pickups, or get the covered Busrtbuckers. I'm not 100% crazy about the open coil look, but they sound so good I'm probably just gonna leave it. I do like how the zebra coils give it a slightly modernized customized look, but nickel covers would look straight outta 1957.
cover them ugly mofos!
:D

Seriously ..... zebra p'ups on a goldtop is like Caitlen Jenner anywhere.

JDOD .... that's awesome!
Have you already told the story of that unuausal git?
If not ..... spill it!

cover them ugly mofos!
:D

Seriously ..... zebra p'ups on a goldtop is like Caitlen Jenner anywhere.

JDOD .... that's awesome!
Have you already told the story of that unuausal git?
If not ..... spill it!

Greg, don't listen to uncle Bob! You're a punk rocker - do NOT conform!

What you want to know Bob? It really is the best guitar I can imagine.

Greg, don't listen to uncle Bob! You're a punk rocker - do NOT conform!

What you want to know Bob? It really is the best guitar I can imagine.
well, you called it an amateur guitar ..... did you build it?

And I personally really believe in the neck-thru thing since I've had one.
Do you find it has more sustain 'cause I sure did.
I'm just loving the looks of that thing.

haha, no, I didn't build it! I have little talent or patience for visual art.

I called it amateur-p0rn 'cos we're taking the pictures of our own bits as opposed to downloading professional pics from the internet!

I had been thinking about that guitar for a couple of years - I got close to it with my previous telecaster (which had a pair of duncan's and a coil tap) but it wasn't quite there.

So, I had this telecaster with a pair of duncans and a coil tap that I really liked the shape and feel of and the electronic layout, a 70s Washburn Hawk which is a bit like a Les Paul but with a neck thru and was through body strung and my Ibanez RG570 which had slighly hotter pickups and a really fast maple neck.

I've played on a lot of guitars and these were the only three that had made me want to spend money. I had a budget for a genuinly good, keep it till I die, guitar. Tried loads of stuff (including Les Pauls), couldn't quite find something that fit the bill. So I designed that guitar from the ground up and took it to a good luthier.

It contains all of my favourite aspects of my 3 main guitars in one guitar. I can't believe how well it has worked out. I was worried that it might feel like a slight compromise... but each of the features that I loved are actually even better when they've come together in this instrument. Additionally, my other guitars were all in the 500-700 quid bracket (The Ibanez possibly a bit more when inflation adjusted) but this is a 2 grand instrument. The difference in the general build quality is massive - there's just so much attention to detail.

Back