• Over 13 Maybe I should open a store.

Votes: 180 10.2%

• Total voters
Geetars

10 total
7 Washburn electrics
1 Washburn acoustic
2 Rickenbackers

Wife says she'll kill me if I get anymore!!!!!!!!

Update -- because there's more, of course :D

1969 Martin 0-16NY (set up with Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum strings)
1965 Martin D-28
1961 Martin 0-18 (an absolutely great recording guitar)
1930's Martin 2-17 (Martin's first guitar built for steel strings - twangy)
1966 Gibson J-45 (PUTW in this one)
1966 Gibson B-25 (essentially a small bodied J-45 - records real well - I have a Sunrise in this one)
1983 Les Paul Standard (paid $300 for this one out of the newspaper - red metal flake - SD Antiquity Pickups and recapped so the tone pots actually work and the volume really rolls off)
1993 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (10 top with birds)
1967 Gibson Byrdland (short scale neck which is great since I have small hands - set up with flatwounds, but I still can't play jazz worth a damn)
2003 Leach Cremona (OM size)
1991 Godin Acousticaster (a complete impulse buy after seeing Roseanne Cash's band)
Rick Turner RB-4 Bass (I'm deluding myself that I can actually play this effectively - but it's fun)
Yamaha FG-450S (D-28 knockoff)
LaSiDo parlor size guitar (campfire beater)
Gibson 1917 Style A mandolin
Gibson 1959 F-12 mandolin
Martin 50s T-15 Tiple (kind of like a 12 string uke)
Magnatone lap steel (in mother-of-toilet-seat, of course)
Martin style 0M uke (2)
Martin style 1M uke
Martin style 2M uke
Martin style 3M uke
Gibson T-1 tenor uke
Gretsch uke

Hmmm well lets see...

Yamaha 12 string Acoustic
Ibanez AEF18 Electric Acoustic
Ibanez RG170 Electric
Squire Strat
Dean Bass

And soon I'm getting either an Ibanez SZ520 or SZ4020

pohaku said:

1965 Martin D-28
1966 Gibson B-25 (essentially a small bodied J-45 - records real well - I have a Sunrise in this one)
1983 Les Paul Standard (paid $300 for this one out of the newspaper - red metal flake - SD Antiquity Pickups and recapped so the tone pots actually work and the volume really rolls off)
1967 Gibson Byrdland (short scale neck which is great since I have small hands - set up with flatwounds, but I still can't play jazz worth a damn)
1991 Godin Acousticaster (a complete impulse buy after seeing Roseanne Cash's band)
Rick Turner RB-4 Bass (I'm deluding myself that I can actually play this effectively - but it's fun)
Martin style 0M uke (2)
Martin style 1M uke
Martin style 2M uke
Martin style 3M uke
Gibson T-1 tenor uke
Gretsch uke
i LOVE you man. :o

!!!

pohaku said:

1965 Martin D-28
Martin style 0M uke (2)
Martin style 1M uke
Martin style 2M uke
Martin style 3M uke
Gibson T-1 tenor uke
Gretsch uke
That's 24................... :eek: ;)

Here's some pics of the ukes and mandos. I probably could use a 12 step program. :D

Attachments

• small ukes.jpg
    small ukes.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 30
  • small mando.jpg
    small mando.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 29
Your mini-eu collection is getting to be a maxi-hang up. Eu-r-ight. Time for a support group :D

pohaku said:
Here's some pics of the ukes and mandos. I probably could use a 12 step program. :D

Great collection, man. Nice stuff.

i was wondering if you could help me out? I'm looking to buy a decent ukulele - nothing too fancy or expensive, but ideally with solid wood and geared tuners. Unfortunately, 250 dollars is my limit - would you (or anyone) have any recommendations?

It's hard to know what would be available in Ireland. There are lots of good small luthier Hawaiian ukes, but I suspect they would be pretty scarce where you are. If you can find a used Kamaka uke, that would be a good purchase. They are probably the largest and oldest current Hawaiian manufacturer, but their prices have gone up as well. Sometimes used ones pop up reasonably though. Mass market ukes that are decent include the Fluke (get the tenor size, not the Flea), Bushman, and Applause. Another used brand that is worth looking for is Favilla. In particular, their baritone ukes are very nice.

I got my daughter a Fluke and it plays and sounds amazingly good for the price. It is a plastic body, wood top instrument in a non-traditional shape, but plays nicely. If you can get the upgraded version with metal frets, that would allow you to use metal wrapped strings which sound better. The basic version has plastic frets and metal wrapped strings will trash the frets.

If you have a choice, you might prefer getting a tenor or at least a concert size uke rather than the standard soprano size. Better intonation and easier to play.

Okay I guess I am due to update this thingy. I sold a lot. Kept a couple. and Bought too many??!!!???

Gibson LP Classic (well it was half price, I just had to !)
Martin D-18
Fernandes Sustainer. This guitar is the proverbial black duck in my collection.
Fender Strat USA model. Now known as Frankenstrat. Currently getting a new neck.
Custom Strat. A guy in the states put it together for me.
Fender P Bass
Gretsch Lap steel

I'd love a Tele next... Dammit. GASsing already :\

pohaku said:
It's hard to know what would be available in Ireland. There are lots of good small luthier Hawaiian ukes, but I suspect they would be pretty scarce where you are. If you can find a used Kamaka uke, that would be a good purchase. They are probably the largest and oldest current Hawaiian manufacturer, but their prices have gone up as well. Sometimes used ones pop up reasonably though. Mass market ukes that are decent include the Fluke (get the tenor size, not the Flea), Bushman, and Applause. Another used brand that is worth looking for is Favilla. In particular, their baritone ukes are very nice.

I got my daughter a Fluke and it plays and sounds amazingly good for the price. It is a plastic body, wood top instrument in a non-traditional shape, but plays nicely. If you can get the upgraded version with metal frets, that would allow you to use metal wrapped strings which sound better. The basic version has plastic frets and metal wrapped strings will trash the frets.

If you have a choice, you might prefer getting a tenor or at least a concert size uke rather than the standard soprano size. Better intonation and easier to play.

Thanks for the reply - very informative. You're right about Ireland, all that I can find in the shops here are those plastic Mahalo ukes. I bought one of those and replaced the tuners with geared ones, and put a piezo pick-up in it, but the intonation drove me mad. So I think it's time for an ebay purchase. I'm going to investigate Kamake, so thanks for that.

I have also seen the flea and the fluke - they look cool, but how are the tuners? And the applause looks interesting too.

Concert sized uke is probably the best choice. Is it possible to find well-intonated soprano ukes?

Once again, many thanks.

Typically you will find friction tuners in older used ukes. All of the Martin and Gibson ukes (which are the best two brands of vintage ukes) are friction tuners. I wouldn't make a decision on a uke based on the tuners. Frankly, I'd rather they put more money in the body and the neck than the tuners. The Fluke has friction tuners. I've got no complaints. The neck on the Fluke is wood as well as the top. They also make an electric model which rocks, but is pricey. The Fluke is actually just a bit bigger than a concert and just smaller than a tenor. Ooops, I see thay also now make a tenor size Fluke as well. So you would have your choice. I'd go with the tenor if it was me.

Be careful if you are considering an older Gretsch and can't play it first. They are hit and miss. I have one that looks great, but doesn't tune or play worth a damn. I've played others that were very decent.

Generally, bigger sizes (tenor, baritone, concert) will tune and intonate better. That's not to say that a soprano won't play well, but I've found that the bigger sizes are a bit less fussy. I used to own a Kamaka soprano uke that played wonderfully, but my sister absconded with it.

pohaku said:
Typically you will find friction tuners in older used ukes. All of the Martin and Gibson ukes (which are the best two brands of vintage ukes) are friction tuners. I wouldn't make a decision on a uke based on the tuners. Frankly, I'd rather they put more money in the body and the neck than the tuners. The Fluke has friction tuners. I've got no complaints. The neck on the Fluke is wood as well as the top. They also make an electric model which rocks, but is pricey. The Fluke is actually just a bit bigger than a concert and just smaller than a tenor. Ooops, I see thay also now make a tenor size Fluke as well. So you would have your choice. I'd go with the tenor if it was me.

Be careful if you are considering an older Gretsch and can't play it first. They are hit and miss. I have one that looks great, but doesn't tune or play worth a damn. I've played others that were very decent.

Generally, bigger sizes (tenor, baritone, concert) will tune and intonate better. That's not to say that a soprano won't play well, but I've found that the bigger sizes are a bit less fussy. I used to own a Kamaka soprano uke that played wonderfully, but my sister absconded with it.

Pohaku, you're an absolute gentleman, your advice is much appreciated - I'm fine when it comes to guitars, but ukuleles confuse me. I've been investigating the web regrading the tenor sized fluke, and I can have it shipped from London within budget, so I think that's my plan for the moment.

If I can ever help you out with anything in return, let me know.

When you get your uke, consider tuning it Hawaiian style - GCEA - with a low G. This is the same tuning as a soprano, except the G is tuned low. What you do to accomodate this is move the strings around. This is the so called IZ method named after the late Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

"In the last several years of his life IZ mostly played a 1930s Martin
tenor, tuned GCEA, with a low G. This is the instrument you hear on
most of his solo recordings. The famous IZ way of stringing the uke is
like this:

1) take the C string and put it where the G goes (the thickest string)
2) take the E string and put it where the C goes
3) take the G string and put it where the E goes
4) the A string leave em
."

Then tune it GCEA with a low G.

Since the C string (second from top) is normally the thickest string, this is moved to the top. The third string - second thickest is moved up to the second string position and the top string is moved down to replace the third string. The A string on the bottom is left where it is. This essentially moves all the strings around so that they run thickest to thinnest (from top to bottom). Then top string is tuned to low G. This will give you much more bottom end and presence.

Let me know if this is confusing. It seems a little odd until you have a uke and a set of strings in front of you.

pohaku said:
When you get your uke, consider tuning it Hawaiian style - GCEA - with a low G. This is the same tuning as a soprano, except the G is tuned low. What you do to accomodate this is move the strings around. This is the so called IZ method named after the late Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

"In the last several years of his life IZ mostly played a 1930s Martin
tenor, tuned GCEA, with a low G. This is the instrument you hear on
most of his solo recordings. The famous IZ way of stringing the uke is
like this:

1) take the C string and put it where the G goes (the thickest string)
2) take the E string and put it where the C goes
3) take the G string and put it where the E goes
4) the A string leave em
."

Then tune it GCEA with a low G.

Since the C string (second from top) is normally the thickest string, this is moved to the top. The third string - second thickest is moved up to the second string position and the top string is moved down to replace the third string. The A string on the bottom is left where it is. This essentially moves all the strings around so that they run thickest to thinnest (from top to bottom). Then top string is tuned to low G. This will give you much more bottom end and presence.

Let me know if this is confusing. It seems a little odd until you have a uke and a set of strings in front of you.

And I can do this on a Tenor, right?

Makes sense to me, man. It's the soprano tuning I had been using in the past, but down a full step; the tuning I am familiar with is ADF#B, with the A string tuned high.

I suppose that making the G the thickest string will make it more intuitive for a guitar player?

Once again, many thanks.

Yes, it's for use on a tenor. That's how I tune mine. Instead of tuning the top string as a high G (above the lower C second string), you tune it down an octave as a low G. Moving the strings around facilitates this.

I've acquired one, and rescued another, since I last voted in the poll. That puts me up to six. :)

Back