How Do You Store Your Cables?

About five months ago I took three boxes full of cables, (not all audio) to Guitar Center right down the road. I asked them if they wanted them to give them to anybody that might need an extra cable. They said no, and I said I would just leave them on the side walk at the front of the mall.

One of the GC employees took the boxes and tossed them in the dumpster.

I promptly took the boxes out of the dumpster and dropped them at the Goodwill. The next morning all three boxes were in the dumpster. I snatched them back into my truck and took them home.

Two weekends ago I dug through the boxes to find a mini midi cable converter. (I had several in one of the boxes)

I also found an extra power supply for my Roland synth. (I have no idea how that got in there)

Well ......... as it stands, the boxes are back in my garage, and I guess they'll just have to take president over my wife's nic nac collection.

Just a side note ................. how do you end up with so many audio cables that are only three feet long?

Just a side note ................. how do you end up with so many audio cables that are only three feet long?

They have too much time on their hands because they're not very long and not very often deployed, and so they saunter off into dark corners and mate like rabbits...

in my case its because my early patch bays were too far apart... I've since moved them all into one 'bank'

and I'm contemplating putting slightly too long cables on e-Bay as a lot buy to get rid of them

maybe we should have a community cord "bake sale"

in my case its because my early patch bays were too far apart... I've since moved them all into one 'bank'

and I'm contemplating putting slightly too long cables on e-Bay as a lot buy to get rid of them

maybe we should have a community cord "bake sale"

I need a few 3' cables, come to think of it. Post them up in the free ads forum. Thanks!

I need some cables, and mic stands aswell as any misc items. My inventory consits of 2 XLR-XLR one 6m the other 3m, 1 7pin XLR for my valve mic. 2 10ft Jack-jack and a couple for my monitors and patch cables for my guitar fx.

Rolled up carefully and placed in my (blocked up) fire place after each session.

I think I may have miss spoke here ................

apparently most of you have higher end gear than I, because what I am identifying as "audio" cables are not XLR, run instead 1/4 inch phono cables, and RCA cables. That is all I ever use. I don't think I have anything that has XLR connectors. I'll have to look at the backs of some of my stuff.

I think I may have miss spoke here ................

apparently most of you have higher end gear than I, because what I am identifying as "audio" cables are not XLR, run instead 1/4 inch phono cables, and RCA cables. That is all I ever use. I don't think I have anything that has XLR connectors. I'll have to look at the backs of some of my stuff.

I have a couple of TR x rca 8 channel snakes that are among the cable sin the pile??? but it's 8' - 3M(?)

And you don't own a single microphone, eh?

I'm proud of you man. Singers are whiny pains in the ass and mics ain't cheap.

lou

misplaced....sigh... I probably have more mics than brains.... in fact my wife would give a resounding "Hell yes!!!"

and still i think... maybe I should get one of "those"

in fact there's a few now (they're the victims of upgrades) that probably need to head off to e-Bay or the classifieds

And you don't own a single microphone, eh?

I'm proud of you man. Singers are whiny pains in the ass and mics ain't cheap.

lou

I'm not the "singer" type of person.

A few years back I made a stab at a couple of tunes with lyrics, that I sung myself. Everybody that heard it said I sound like "Jimmy Durante".

So .............. "Goodnight misses Calabash, where ever you are". :cool:

Personally, I don't do either. I hold them in one hand and coil the cable spinning it as I coil it to eliminate twists.

I do this too, but mostly because I've never understood the under/over method. Then I use a velcro tie or bread tie. Then put them in a duffle bag.

Decided What I Am Going To Do

I decided what I am going to do with my cables for the short term...

I found a bunch of large screw-in hooks I had bought for something; they look kinda like a giant cup hook.

I'm going to screw them into the side of the wooden beam that runs across my basement ceiling. They have about two inches of "shaft" between the threads and the beginning of the hook, so I should be able to get a half-dozen cables on each one.

All of my mic cables are 20', so I'll use one hook just for them. I'll have three hooks for my instrument cables: one for my 18'-20' cables, one for my 10' cables, and one for my 3'-5' cables. I'll use the remaining one for miscellaneous cables (midi, etc.).

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions...

Instead of those screw-in hooks, get some clothes hooks. They are a lot nicer looking, and because they have 2 (or even 3) hooks each, you can hang more cables.

Something similar to these hooks (just the hooks - you can buy them at any hardware store):
95659_ENL.JPG

A friend of mine gave me a rack of deer antlers still attached to the piece of scull with two holes drilled in the scull for mounting.
Well that got screwed to the wall and houses all of my head phones with 20' extensions .... sure cleaned up that mess!!

:cool:

A friend of mine gave me a rack of deer antlers still attached to the piece of scull with two holes drilled in the scull for mounting.
Well that got screwed to the wall and houses all of my head phones with 20' extensions .... sure cleaned up that mess!!

Now that deserves a picture sent to the forum. :)

Just a guess, but I'll bet at least one of those sets of headphones is on the the skull. :cool:

Back