How Do You Store Your Cables?

bdenton

Given that I'm now up to about three times as many cables as I actually need in my studio, with more on the way from Santa, I've about outgrown my old U-Haul box.

So how do you guys store the cables that you don't need now, but probably will in about 15 seconds?

Are you using some type of wall organizer or what? Also, do you label your cables with their lengths, and if so, how do you do it?

Thanx...

Microphone cables are always rolled up (and not like a piece of rope - hand to elbow) but a nice roll, the cord actually has a memory of being on the spool. and piled accordingly to size for easy use.
Same with any patch cable.
No need to mark your cable if you don't need to (except for speaker cable) for after a while you should be able to pick up any cable and be able to identify it's length.

:cool:

Um, this may sound bad, but I kinda just toss them on the floor.

That is so Bad! :laughings: Better call social serveses on Villain for cord abuse.
And I would if Villain wasn't into Thin Lizzy's "Black Rose~a rock legend" LP. I'm so easy to sway....

As for cables, I have separate bags for them. All my XLR/mic cables go into one called "Good" and my jack cables go into one called "Crap". And they fit snugly into the bottom drawer with a few other bits.
I like to know where everything is so I don't waste my life looking for things that I want in a flash. I don't have anything I don't use. I even know where the mice hide their stash.

The best thing about my method is that I've gotten very experienced at untangling them. Actually, I've tried winding them up and hanging them on something, but then I slip back into the old habit. At least I keep my adapters in a little box on my desk.

I don't have too many cables; they're either in use or neatly coiled up and stored in a bag. However, my uncle has a whole walk-in closet dedicated for cable storage in his basement studio. He keeps them on shelves and on wall hangers.

I made wall hangers from a piece of 1x4 and birch dowels. I "roll" up long cables and velcro tie, shorter ones that can be draped across the dowels without hitting the floor are just that.

I've labeled the ends of my cables (matching the other) AA,BB,CC,etc so if someone else is at the opposite end, we're both looking at the same cable.

and the excess goes in a bx marked "cable stuff"... but i should probably put it on e-bay as a 'lot' of misc cables

I just recently bought a cable drum for all my XLRs. Works pretty well, just click them together and roll 'em up. Keeps them tidy :)

I roll 'em up, wrist to elbow (as you're supposed to) and sling 'em in the draw marked: "XLR Cables". Funny that... the draws were already marked because the chest itself came out of Bob Lamb's studio.

My cables come in a cardboard sleeve, so to keep them from 'mating' inside the draw I slip the cardboard sleeve back on.

Dr. V

I roll 'em up, wrist to elbow (as you're supposed to)
yeah about that .... :D ....

I don't personally care much about it but you're absolutely gonna have some people strongly suggest that over/under is how you're supposed to do it. The wrist/elbow thing puts a twist in the cable that, over time, contributes to tangles.

Personally, I don't do either. I hold them in one hand and coil the cable spinning it as I coil it to eliminate twists.

Are you using some type of wall organizer or what? Also, do you label your cables with their lengths, and if so, how do you do it?

I use a tupper-ware type of file cabinet type thing from target. a 3-drawer organizer that is kept in the closet. I don't label the cables but I keep longer cables in the bottom drawer, mic cables in the middle one, and shorter patch cables in the top drawer. Also, you can never have too many velcro ties.

I have a clothing rack on casters with multiple rails to keep the different types of cords separated. Bought it off my neighbor for a buck. It's jammed behind a table with 20 Casio drum pads on it at the moment.

I have a large "walk-in" storage closet in my studio that also serves as the remote location for my computer (to isolate the fan noise) - one wall of the closet is peg board ..................... and all spare cables are hung in organized groupings by type of cable (mic cables, vs. 1/4" vs. MIDI, etc) and by length of cable.

I can instantly find exactly what I need - and know exactly where to return it.

All cables are gathered using the "over/under" method and then secured with a couple of velcro cable ties.

Back