Home Studio (version 2.5) - pics included

Yea, thats what i am going to do, so need explaining the grates ;)

Hmmm, I will have to check out that 3M adhesive stuff. My wife suggested glue but wasn't sure it would allow me to stretch the fabric tightly enough around the 703 and still hold.

thanks again!

It will hold some, but not REALLY tight. Why are you wanting to stretch it tightly, is it short?

The only other reason I could think would be to pull out the creases, and it'll do fine for that.

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the posts. I am in Florence, so you will be about 20 minutes south of me :)

Thanks for the kind words, but compared to most around here, mine is VERY small and humble, hehe. I can live with the size as long as I get it finished someday and start actually recording!

Florence huh.. wow you're pretty close to me too. I live near the Eastgate Mall, 'bout 30 minutes from Florence. Good times..:cool:

So i finally put my homemade cloud solution up (replacing the tiles in my drop ceiling with fabric covered 703). It wasn't too bad actaully. I did have to cut 1/2" off the length and width of the OC 703 to get it to fit in but other than that it was pretty easy.

I also ended up not using the 3M adhesive (even though I bought some and its sitting next to me). Instead I just cut the fabric, wrapped it around the sheet of 703 and stuck it up in the ceiling. Afterwards I had to pull out most of the wrinkles by lifting tiles around the cloud area and pulling the fabric taut so it looked better.

Here are some pics of the progress:

cover.jpg

before.jpg

1_out.jpg

3_out_angle.jpg

3_out_ctr.jpg

1_in_close.jpg

1_in.jpg

2_in.jpg

3_in.jpg

final.jpg

still have a lot to finish up before i record some stuff. Mainly just need to jump into it instead of procrastinating :)

next steps will be building my 4th and final bass trap, building a few panels to create a wall to partition off a straight wall in the back and then hanging things in the room to finish off the room (pictures, first reflection absorption panels - already built, curtains behind the mix area, etc)

stay tuned...

sweet studio man, i'm glad i came across this because i've been trying to come up with a good idea for a sort of cloud with a drop ceiling, and now i may just have to steal this idea if you dont mind:D

what thickness did you use for the ceiling 703 panels?

also, i suggest that if possible you should fill up those floor joist gaps with some fluffy insulation, it will help isolate the space, reducing footsteps above, upstairs appliances, etc, and will probably reduce some bass reflections back into the room.

congrats on the studio!

Wes

what thickness did you use for the ceiling 703 panels?

also, i suggest that if possible you should fill up those floor joist gaps with some fluffy insulation, it will help isolate the space, reducing footsteps above, upstairs appliances, etc, and will probably reduce some bass reflections back into the room.

congrats on the studio!

Wes
2" probably. Fluffy insulation would be great, but won't help isolation.

2" indeed...

I dont mind if you steal the idea since I think a couple of people in this thread had brought it up for me anyways :)

Also vspace and someone else had suggested the fluffy fiberglass above and I am not going to mess with it for now, but thanks for the suggestion.

Small progress, but at least I am moving forward :)

I wanted my bass traps to be as close to straight up and down as possible (opposed to just leaning against the corner) so I put a hook on the top of my bass trap and screwed the eyelet thing into the wall:

hook.jpg

eye.jpg

That way, when i pushed the bottom end all the wall into the corner, and I had the hook connected to the wall, the trap would not fall forward crashing and was secure enough to stand straight up in the corner:

trap_top.jpg

trap_bottom.jpg

I still have a couple of the other traps to do the same thing with, but they are slightly different (more to come on that later...).

Sliding Door

First I hung the track across the bottom of my ventillation duct:

rail1.jpg

rail2.jpg

Then I put the connectors on the 2 absorbtion panels I just made prior to this evening's work so that they could be connected to the track. Notice I stapled all around it so when I tore my fabric to allow the screws to pass, it would not rip all the way up or was hoping it wouldn't:

door_top.jpg

I was going to put a wheel on the bottom so it could just roll across the floor:

door_bottom.jpg

However, turns out I measured badly and the panel wouldn't fit with the wheels attached so I removed the wheels and just hung them up on the track with nothing touching the floor. I also secured the 2 panels together in the back with some screws and twine so that they slide as 1 larger door. Eventually I will put something under them, but not sure what yet:

slider.jpg

Then I attached the other bass trap to the corner with another hook and eyelet thing and closed the sliding door to reveal the rough draft of the back wall:

bw_top.jpg

bw_bottom.jpg

More to come but wanted to post some pics of the progress I made this weekend.

Enjoy ~

Finally Finished For Now

Finally got these pics off the camera and on the computer and wanted to post the final images. I am sure there will always be stuff to do, but for now I am finished with my home studio until I start cranking some songs out and actually record again :)

Control Room

I ended up plugging the windows with fabric covered 703, getting some MoPads for my monitors, hung the maroon velvet curtain behind my desk (mostly for looks but if it provides anything else then great! :P), hung some more stuff, got the standing floor lamps, lava lamp, used some more accessories, etc, Most of the accessories came from Ikea (couch, floor and table lamps, end table, magazine rack, candy holders, dry erase thingy, maybe more...)

Here is the finished control room as you walk into it.

ctrl_front.jpg

Close-up of the moPads

ctrl_mopads.jpg

To follow are different angles / pics

ctrl_cake_corner.jpg

The cabinet opens up to my work area (9-5 job) with my laptop, phone, etc.

ctrl_work_wall.jpg

MY 2 acoustics hung nicely in the corner

ctrl_guitar_corner.jpg

A shot of the back

ctrl_back.jpg

The spider lamp and magazine rack corner (and you can see a bit of the couch)

ctrl_magazine_corner.jpg

The left wall with the see-thru dry erase board, my candy holder under the star picture and a bit of the couch

ctrl_couch_wall.jpg

A better look at the couch (it folds out into a bed - pretty cool) and my faux fur rug ~

ctrl_couch.jpg

Acting as my other end table I have this Meinl Headliner Series Cajon and another cool item, a Pearl Shekere

ctrl_percussion.jpg

The last corner angle shot

ctrl_lava_corner.jpg

Live Room

Basically have my stuff set up now to record. My main mic stands up for vocals and then I have the smaller stand for when I record acoustic or electric guitar. I also have the very cool Tranzport Wirerless DAW Controller which I have fallen in love with and works well for my set up.

live_peek.jpg

And my comfy guitar playing chair (with no arms yea!)

live_full.jpg

The corner with amps and electric guitar

live_amp_corner.jpg

Better shot of amps and the Tranzport

live_amps.jpg

The other corner with green bar stool

live_stool_corner.jpg

I run my mic cords to my snake that runs to my control room

live_snake.jpg

I swapped the fluorescent lights out for some track lighting

live_track.jpg

That's pretty much it. Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions along the way, I look forward to making some recordings in it someday soon!

Any comments/questions are welcome ~

Hey Cincy! You've done a great job with your studio! Lots of thought, time and work...and moola...put into it I see! Looks like you have a wonderful home away from home in your home!!!

I can't wait to hear something recorded in there from you!

What is the CAKE plaque on the wall?

Love your huge floor lamps...and the colors you went with look good too. The Pearl Shekere is the bomb!!!

Oh and kudos to Mrs. Cincy. You did say she had a hand in the selection of decor and such? I was too lazy to go back and reread and make sure...:D

Thanks True ;)

Got a lot of that Ikea stuff pretty cheap so I didn't spend too much actually =p

The Cake plaque is for when their album when platinum (signed copy from local radio station)

Yea, the Shekere is cool but man that video on the Cajon is amazing, I hope to be able to play like that someday...

And yea, the wifey had much to do with the design and many thanks to her as well ~

Thanks too Andrew, its for sure much better than just the closet :)

Cincy, only new to this site, but you're the first home studio page that i've looked up and you have been a great inspiration to me to do something also.

Well done, tis a fine job!!

Paddy

I bookmarked this thread.

I have a ~1500 sqft unfinished basement and without a doubt I will be checking out your pics many times in the coming months. :)

Thanks very much for posting them.

Thanks Tbone :)

nick, welcome to HR, there are a lot of great threads here so search anything you are looking for, tons of help in this community. Thanks and good luck with your project!

hope they help Rejection and good luck, sounds like a great start (a blank canvas if you will)

Back