Home Studio (version 2.5) - pics included

The traps don't need to be flush imo. The more space behind the trap the better, so adding another inch or something is good.

JuliánFernández - Thanks man, although it was kinda my wife's ideas on the colors ;)

notbradsohner - Thanks a lot, yea I thought about making a custom desk or buying one but since I already this one available I figured I would use it for now since there's so much other stuff I need to buy :eek:

nickd123 - Thanks Nick, will do! Hopefully I can record again someday instead of being obsessed on arranging my studio space :p

pandamonk - wow really panda?! That would sure save me some time, thought and cash hehe...

still trying to figure out what to do on the back wall..any ideas?

JuliánFernández - Thanks man, although it was kinda my wife's ideas on the colors ;)

notbradsohner - Thanks a lot, yea I thought about making a custom desk or buying one but since I already this one available I figured I would use it for now since there's so much other stuff I need to buy :eek:

nickd123 - Thanks Nick, will do! Hopefully I can record again someday instead of being obsessed on arranging my studio space :p

pandamonk - wow really panda?! That would sure save me some time, thought and cash hehe...

still trying to figure out what to do on the back wall..any ideas?
I still think you should build a stud wall, making the room rectangular, then have a bass trap in the back corners and absorption on the back wall. This gives you more isolation between the control room and live room, and rest of the house probably.

Instead, you could build a frame and fill with rigid fiberglass as though you're making a stud wall, and cover with fabric instead of drywall...

Yea, I would love to build the wall panda, but I am trying to not do any major construction as we will eventually sell this house and on top of that its more work than I want to do on it at the moment ;)

If I build the frame idea like you said, how will i go from each room to the next? Build a door too i suppose?

Yea, I would love to build the wall panda, but I am trying to not do any major construction as we will eventually sell this house and on top of that its more work than I want to do on it at the moment ;)

If I build the frame idea like you said, how will i go from each room to the next? Build a door too i suppose?
Yeah, so it'll be basically like a wall, with door, just without the drywall. I think it'd be good to square it off anyway. You could dress it up as a home theatre, or something, acoustically designed(and leave the absorption panels if they wanted). It's not a great deal more work to build a stud wall, than to build what i suggested. The only extra is the drywall, easy, and the filling all the gaps, also pretty easy. Then just sand it down and paint. This also means you can choose where the studs are, which means you'll have something to screw into to hang your absorption panels...

If the room isn't squared off, it won't be symmetrical, which means the stereo imaging won't be prefect(shouldn't be too bad though).

I am still alive! :)

slowly but surely working on my studio when I get soem free time here and there. I wanted to get your opinions on something.

For the cloud above my mix position, I have some 703 that I am going to use. I have a drop ceiling as you can see in previous pictures. What would be more effective?

A) Remove the tiles above the mix position and replace them with covered 703

or

B) Have the 703 hang from the tiles by wire

Is there a big difference either way?

Thanks again ~

I am still alive! :)

slowly but surely working on my studio when I get soem free time here and there. I wanted to get your opinions on something.

For the cloud above my mix position, I have some 703 that I am going to use. I have a drop ceiling as you can see in previous pictures. What would be more effective?

A) Remove the tiles above the mix position and replace them with covered 703

or

B) Have the 703 hang from the tiles by wire

Is there a big difference either way?

Thanks again ~
Shouldn't matter either way. Hanging them will allow more absorption for the edges (if left unframed).

Thanks for replying Panda,

I think I have decided on taking out the existing tiles and putting panels in their place. i think I might cut cardboard or even get cheap new tiles and then glue the 703 to the new tiles and put them back up. I just have to figure out the best/easiest way to do that and have them covered :)

stay tuned...

I wouldnt use cardboard as that would reflect some. What is in the cavity about the dropped ceiling? Floor joists/cavity or is there insulation up there?

Doesn't the 703 fit just right in the space? They are both (usually) 24"x48" and the 703 is sturdy enought to stay.

Another idea would be (assuming the space for the tile was 24x48) is buy a few of those white grates that are meant to cover flouresant lighting fixtures. They are cheap, like 3 bux.. I know because thats what I went with.:D

Thanks for the post Vspace....

I was going to go with cardboard since 98% of the cardboard would be covered anyways with the 703 and the only parts that wouldn't be covered would be the part that keeps it hanging in the ceiling frame. I am pretty sure its just floor joists and no insulation but i will double check.

The ceiling tiles are 24 x 48 yes but are a bit smaller due to the frame that the tiles lay in. So I would either have to trim the 703 down some or kind of squash it and "make it fit". This is what I was initially thinking since by squeezing the 703 into the tight fit, it will stay up there better and be secure without using anything else. I want to cover the 703 obviously with the same material as my bass traps and absorption panels and am also trying to figure a good easy way to stretch the fabric tight around the panel without having a wood frame to staple it to like in the other panels. I guess i could sew it or glue it, but not sure i could get it very tight that way. So if i get this fabric around the 703 fairly tight and then try to scrunch it up in the frame, not sure how well it will work out, but I still may try this method, I just thought gluing it to some cardboard or even the tiles that already are up there may be the easier solution.

talking about the white grates, I dont understand how you would use them. You put the grates up there and have the covered 703 up in the ceiling behind the grates? please explain :)

Thanks again!

hmm, if they pass through the tiles and are not reflective that would be cool. So what you mean is to just take rolls of the fluffy stuff and stick it up in the ceiling behind the tiles and just leave the tiles in place?

Cant and dont want to add the stud wall. Isolation is not one of my conerns anyways. Do you think the sliding door method using 703 will be sufficient for squaring the room off?

Why don't you just turn the tiles upside down?

:p

Tim

Not to be a "Negative Nancy", but you should have took the base mouldings off before installing the floor, but you can work around it.

Just an FYI for those checking out this post.

Why?

Talk about a job that is a pain in the butt!

I remodeled houses for years, and he is doing it exactly how we did it.
The only difference is that we used regular shoe-mold and just painted it the same as the baseboard once it was installed over the flooring.

Tim

Thanks for the post Vspace....

I was going to go with cardboard since 98% of the cardboard would be covered anyways with the 703 and the only parts that wouldn't be covered would be the part that keeps it hanging in the ceiling frame. I am pretty sure its just floor joists and no insulation but i will double check.

The ceiling tiles are 24 x 48 yes but are a bit smaller due to the frame that the tiles lay in. So I would either have to trim the 703 down some or kind of squash it and "make it fit". This is what I was initially thinking since by squeezing the 703 into the tight fit, it will stay up there better and be secure without using anything else. I want to cover the 703 obviously with the same material as my bass traps and absorption panels and am also trying to figure a good easy way to stretch the fabric tight around the panel without having a wood frame to staple it to like in the other panels. I guess i could sew it or glue it, but not sure i could get it very tight that way. So if i get this fabric around the 703 fairly tight and then try to scrunch it up in the frame, not sure how well it will work out, but I still may try this method, I just thought gluing it to some cardboard or even the tiles that already are up there may be the easier solution.

talking about the white grates, I dont understand how you would use them. You put the grates up there and have the covered 703 up in the ceiling behind the grates? please explain :)

Thanks again!

Hey Cincy,

Where do you live in Kentucky?

I'm moving to Verona in the not too distant future.

My mom and dad are buying a house with a little bit of land, just like 5 or 6 acres, but the place has a good sized barn on it, and my Dad told me,"It's all yours!" So, I'm going to convert it into a recording studio, practice place.

Man, I have to say - your set up is awesome!

Tim

This is what I was initially thinking since by squeezing the 703 into the tight fit, it will stay up there better and be secure without using anything else. I want to cover the 703 obviously with the same material as my bass traps and absorption panels and am also trying to figure a good easy way to stretch the fabric tight around the panel without having a wood frame to staple it to like in the other panels. I guess i could sew it or glue it, but not sure i could get it very tight that way. So if i get this fabric around the 703 fairly tight and then try to scrunch it up in the frame, not sure how well it will work out, but I still may try this method, I just thought gluing it to some cardboard or even the tiles that already are up there may be the easier solution.

Thats what I would do, just use the 703 only w/o the cardboard. The snug fit will be perfect to keep them from going anywhere. The cavity behind it will help lower the dampening frequency. If it was me, I would stuff some pink insulation (w/o kraft paper) against the osb flooring from underneath. It will help quiet footfalls etc. For the fabric, try that 3M spray on adhesive stuff, it'll work great for this. Just use it mainly on the sides and rear, very lightly on the bottom facing the room. If you get too much on the "main" side, the wetness might leave water spots.

Well I can explain if you want me to, but I think the above solution is much better.

Have fun!

Hey Cincy,

Where do you live in Kentucky?

I'm moving to Verona in the not too distant future.

My mom and dad are buying a house with a little bit of land, just like 5 or 6 acres, but the place has a good sized barn on it, and my Dad told me,"It's all yours!" So, I'm going to convert it into a recording studio, practice place.

Man, I have to say - your set up is awesome!

Tim

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the posts. I am in Florence, so you will be about 20 minutes south of me :)

Thanks for the kind words, but compared to most around here, mine is VERY small and humble, hehe. I can live with the size as long as I get it finished someday and start actually recording!

Thats what I would do, just use the 703 only w/o the cardboard. The snug fit will be perfect to keep them from going anywhere. The cavity behind it will help lower the dampening frequency. If it was me, I would stuff some pink insulation (w/o kraft paper) against the osb flooring from underneath. It will help quiet footfalls etc. For the fabric, try that 3M spray on adhesive stuff, it'll work great for this. Just use it mainly on the sides and rear, very lightly on the bottom facing the room. If you get too much on the "main" side, the wetness might leave water spots.

Well I can explain if you want me to, but I think the above solution is much better.

Have fun!

Yea, thats what i am going to do, so need explaining the grates ;)

Hmmm, I will have to check out that 3M adhesive stuff. My wife suggested glue but wasn't sure it would allow me to stretch the fabric tightly enough around the 703 and still hold.

thanks again!

Back