Hitler Youth

Greg.

Wife got me a new surf rod for anniversary....don't have a boat, don't want one...money pit.

You fish from a kayak, yeah? I've considered it in the past, sounds like fun.

Checked the local fishing report, new regs have about everything off season or low limit. Speckled trout, out of season until July! Grey trout, one per day, sucks. Flounder aren't hitting well yet. About the best opportunity is red drum, which is some good eating. I don't even give a shit about Spot and Croaker. Fresh water, crappy are spawning, but don't care to take a drive to get to 'em.

You fishing yet, or is it year round down there? Shark your choice of catch?

Greg.

Wife got me a new surf rod for anniversary....don't have a boat, don't want one...money pit.

You fish from a kayak, yeah? I've considered it in the past, sounds like fun.

Checked the local fishing report, new regs have about everything off season or low limit. Speckled trout, out of season until July! Grey trout, one per day, sucks. Flounder aren't hitting well yet. About the best opportunity is red drum, which is some good eating. I don't even give a shit about Spot and Croaker. Fresh water, crappy are spawning, but don't care to take a drive to get to 'em.

You fishing yet, or is it year round down there? Shark your choice of catch?

I fish year round. Although I haven't been as much as usual lately. Different months/seasons mean different types of fish down here, and it's rarely too cold to hit a beach.

I do fish from a kayak sometimes. It depends on the day and what I wanna catch. Most of my kayak fishing is in the bays targeting specks and reds. I don't fish the open water much from the kayak unless the surf is really calm that day. If it's a shark kind of day, I use the kayak to run my baits way out there while the rods stay on the sand. A sit on top kayak is about the best damn thing ever invented for surf fishing. But most of my fishing is wading out to a sandbar with one of my 10 or 12 ft surf rods, casting a bait as far as humanly possible, and walking the rod back to the beach. Drop a nice bait between the sandbars, that's where the bigguns hang out. Bullreds, Black Drum, medium sized sharks, Jack Cravelle, they'll all swim through there and hit a bait.

I only go for sharks during the summer months. I won't say they're my main target, but I do usually have a few long lines way out there hoping a big toothy will pick one up. Now that it's april and the water is warming up, they should be showing back up in big numbers any day now.

WTF Gerg? Politics* and sociology? Back in the Cave days you were good but not this good. Home fucking run.

*(Yeah I know - Not really politics.)

I know dude, totally, but you gotta be clear and concise and fully explain things with miroslav or he twists and mangles things into his own agenda. Let's look at it like this:

HR is Europe
Miroslav is Nazi Germany
Greg is storming the beach at Normandy

:D
I would like to personally thank you for your service.
Gerg is truly the greatest generation! :D

My folks made it a point to never talk politics in front of me when I was growing up. My Dad is old school and refuses to even tell anyone who he voted for. I've decided that I will do the same for my son (he's going on 2). I will not engage in political discussions with him until he is old enough to hold his own in a debate. That way he can decide this shit for himself....or at least he'll have a fighting chance to.

My folks made it a point to never talk politics in front of me when I was growing up. My Dad is old school and refuses to even tell anyone who he voted for. I've decided that I will do the same for my son (he's going on 2). I will not engage in political discussions with him until he is old enough to hold his own in a debate. That way he can decide this shit for himself....or at least he'll have a fighting chance to.

Okay that's fair, but he's clearly old enough to go door to door. Drop him off in miro's neighborhood.

I fish year round. Although I haven't been as much as usual lately. Different months/seasons mean different types of fish down here, and it's rarely too cold to hit a beach.

I do fish from a kayak sometimes. It depends on the day and what I wanna catch. Most of my kayak fishing is in the bays targeting specks and reds. I don't fish the open water much from the kayak unless the surf is really calm that day. If it's a shark kind of day, I use the kayak to run my baits way out there while the rods stay on the sand. A sit on top kayak is about the best damn thing ever invented for surf fishing. But most of my fishing is wading out to a sandbar with one of my 10 or 12 ft surf rods, casting a bait as far as humanly possible, and walking the rod back to the beach. Drop a nice bait between the sandbars, that's where the bigguns hang out. Bullreds, Black Drum, medium sized sharks, Jack Cravelle, they'll all swim through there and hit a bait.

I only go for sharks during the summer months. I won't say they're my main target, but I do usually have a few long lines way out there hoping a big toothy will pick one up. Now that it's april and the water is warming up, they should be showing back up in big numbers any day now.

Some of the guys around here use kayaks in the inlets and backwaters, reedy areas, targeting puppy drum and other potentials including stripers when they're running. Some venture out into the (ches) bay as well, but just a bit past the bars from what i've seen. The tides and current can get pretty breakneck in and around some of those inlets. I've a mind to take the plunge(no pun intended, i hope) and pick up a kayak second hand on the cheap. I'm not as fanatical about fishing as I used to be, so if I could pick up one for a reasonable price I wouldn't beat myself up so bad if it got limited use. Then again I don't want to be floating around in some cheap ass piece of shit death trap if things got choppy and rough.

Hours spent with toes in sand or surf, casting, or just waiting for something to happen, taking it all in....i'd have to say those times have been about as close to a religious experience as anything. I can only imagine adding a kayak to the equation.....just as long as it did not expedite meeting my maker, the wife wouldn't dig it. I'd have to convince her before ever making a purchase.

Some of the guys around here use kayaks in the inlets and backwaters, reedy areas, targeting puppy drum and other potentials including stripers when they're running. Some venture out into the (ches) bay as well, but just a bit past the bars from what i've seen. The tides and current can get pretty breakneck in and around some of those inlets. I've a mind to take the plunge(no pun intended, i hope) and pick up a kayak second hand on the cheap. I'm not as fanatical about fishing as I used to be, so if I could pick up one for a reasonable price I wouldn't beat myself up so bad if it got limited use. Then again I don't want to be floating around in some cheap ass piece of shit death trap if things got choppy and rough.

Hours spent with toes in sand or surf, casting, or just waiting for something to happen, taking it all in....i'd have to say those times have been about as close to a religious experience as anything. I can only imagine adding a kayak to the equation.....just as long as it did not expedite meeting my maker, the wife wouldn't dig it. I'd have to convince her before ever making a purchase.

If you ever plan on entering surf conditions, get something with an "aggressive" hull. Ridges and fins and shit. A smooth, flat bottom yak will get sideways and you'll turtle that bitch in a second. Something in the 10-12 ft range is good for dealing with some surf but big enough to fish comfortably. I use an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT. Great all-purpose surf and bay fishing kayak. Bright yellow for visibility. I can take that bitch out in a hurricane and cut right through the waves.

Other than that, you won't die in a kayak. They handle rips and currents no problem. I've paddled mine across San Luis Pass numerous times down here in Texas and that's one treacherous literally life taking strait of angry water. Cruising across it on a kayak was nothing. Wear a life vest. Fish with a partner. I've paddled mine literally miles and miles offshore out into open gulf waters to fish near unmanned oil rigs. Kingfish baby! That's an otherworldly experience. Sitting in a kayak in open water without a hint land in sight. I've paddled around the intracoastal waterway right next to gigantic oceanic super tankers. No problem. A good kayak is very safe and very stable. Get you a nice seat/backrest and hit the water. Wear sunblock and stay hydrated.

Thanks. I may go for it this year, i've been thinking about it for some time.

The thing that worries me- I'm a bit of a loner when it comes to that sort of thing, besides the fact that i know no kayakers. I really prefer fishing for the most part alone, not a lot of yackity yack and dealing with the potential boredom and other sidetrack bullshit that goes along with fishing with someone who confuses the purpose of being out there in the first place. In have no problem heading down alone at midnight with several rods, casting a lure about waste deep, with another or two rods with cut bait in holders in the sand, and staying until 9-10 or later the next morning. Pure bliss. I know me, I would be tempted to head out alone.

Do you ever go alone, or is that strictly out of the question, in your opinion? Common sense and conventional wisdom says no. But hey, you only live once. On the other hand, same goes for dying. I'd never hear the last of it from my wife if I drowned out there.

edit: Forgot to ask one thing. I think you said you ride "on top" of a kayak? Some you ride in, some you ride on, from what i've seen. Which do you prefer for variety of conditions, etc?.....which would you suggest, i guess, and why?

thanks...you never know, you might be saving my life :D

Last edited:
Thanks. I may go for it this year, i've been thinking about it for some time.

The thing that worries me- I'm a bit of a loner when it comes to that sort of thing, besides the fact that i know no kayakers. I really prefer fishing for the most part alone, not a lot of yackity yack and dealing with the potential boredom and other sidetrack bullshit that goes along with fishing with someone who confuses the purpose of being out there in the first place. In have no problem heading down alone at midnight with several rods, casting a lure about waste deep, with another or two rods with cut bait in holders in the sand, and staying until 9-10 or later the next morning. Pure bliss. I know me, I would be tempted to head out alone.

Do you ever go alone, or is that strictly out of the question, in your opinion? Common sense and conventional wisdom says no. But hey, you only live once. On the other hand, same goes for dying. I'd never hear the last of it from my wife if I drowned out there.
I fish alone quite often. I know exactly what you mean about sitting out there all by yourself just the wind water and peace. I kayak alone as well, but with a few exceptions. The Texas coast bays and estuaries are relatively shallow. Most freshwater lakes are relatively shallow. And by shallow, I mean the areas I fish are 4-5 deep at most. Some areas are so shallow you can see the Reds "tailing". So if you take a dump out of your yak in those areas, you can just stand next to it and jump back in. I say "stand", and yes you technically can, but our bay bottoms are pure mud and you'll sink down to your knees in no time. That's no fun. Anyway, shallow fishing, yeah I'll kayak alone. In the surf and beyond, I pretty much never go alone. If the day is truly flat and I have a buddy on the beach, I'll go right out beyond the breakers sometimes alone, but not usually. The surf is usually too unpredictable. I've had a few butt puckering moments when I've been out on calm days only to have a squall roll in faster than I can get my ass back to shore. Going from flat calm to 6 foot waves in minutes in a kayak is exciting but terrifying. Kayaks aren't dangerous, but you are just floating around out there on a plastic pontoon. And when you're fishing from a yak, you're gonna have all kinds of gear and rigging that can create a problem. For one, you're gonna want an anchor. That anchor will have a long line attached to it. You're gonna want to tether your gear to the yak in case you do dump it or drop something. You don't want your stuff falling to the bottom never to be seen again. I've got about ten digital cameras at the bottom of the gulf. Some small things you may just have to sacrifice in the event you tip over, but the expensive stuff can be tethered with a float and a carabiner so you can cut it loose if you need to but the tether will float so you can grab it back later. You'll also have coolers, tackle, knives, bait buckets, a net, etc. All this stuff easily fits into a kayak, but it also becomes a massive headache if you flip over. And much of your gear will have the ability to slice you wide open. You can also get tangled in all that rigging which makes getting back in while treading water a dicey proposition. And simply dropping your paddle can be a real bitch without a friend around to get it back to you. So having a buddy is just good insurance in the event a problem arises. You also just wanna have someone that simply knows where you are. I strongly suggest that if you're gonna hit open waters in a yak, find a new friend to go with you. Open water is a very lonely place. Surely there's some group of kayakers in your area, and surely they have some kind of online hangout. Find them. Kayak fisherman are always happy to bring in a new guy. Safety in numbers. And last but not least, you're gonna want someone to take a pic of you and your 45" Bullred or 6 ft Blacktip. Catching a shark from a kayak is about the most exhilarating thing you can do with a fishing pole.

edit: Forgot to ask one thing. I think you said you ride "on top" of a kayak? Some you ride in, some you ride on, from what i've seen. Which do you prefer for variety of conditions, etc?.....which would you suggest, i guess, and why?

thanks...you never know, you might be saving my life :D
All of this is strictly about sit-on-top kayaks. A sit on top is basically a plastic molded boat shaped plank that you ride on. You do sit down in it, but you're really still riding on top. It's not like those seal-you-in whitewater river kayaks. You DO NOT want a sit-in whitewater type kayak for fishing. No.

A sit-on-top is a wet ride though and you're fully exposed, so if it's cold, wear a wetsuit or good breathable waders to keep you dry. Dry is the absolute most important thing for cold fishing. Stay dry, and you'll stay warm. Don't wear those big rubber old man waders. They can fill with water in the event you capsize. Wear some good quality thin breathable waders. They collapse around your skin and seal you in if you dump it. If it's hot and sunny, the wet ride is a welcome thing, but still stay covered with long fishing pants and a long sleeve shirt. You will bake fast sitting in a kayak on a sunny day. Don't wear cotton if you can help it. Cotton stays cool while it's dry, but it takes forever to dry if it gets wet. Invest in a few nice pairs of those PFG style fishing shirts and pants. They'll be dry by the time you get your yak all loaded back up and you're ready to jump in the truck to go home.

Sit on top - say yes to these:
redfish10_top.jpg

Sit-in - say fuck no to these:
Sit-in-Kayak-Thunder-.jpg

Thanks for all of the good info. I scanned craigslist to see what's out there on the secondhand market, and a few youtube kayaking 101 type vids last night and this morning. I've talked to some kayak guys while out on the sand before. They all seemed pretty cool and willing to share their experiences. So yeah, it shouldn't be hard falling in with a group of guys who might at various times need a sidekick for a day out on the water, even a noob.

Yup, you'll learn a lot quickly just by doing it around people that know what they're doing. The main things with successful kayak fishing are A) being comfortable, and B) being efficient. A good seat and/or backrest goes a long way to being comfortable. And paddling isn't a race.....unless you're running from weather. Paddle smoothly and efficiently and you can go a very long way for a very long time. And don't drag anything while you paddle. When you're anchored you can throw shit overboard to float around like bait buckets and coolers and ropes and nets and shit. Haul that crap in before you go trying to paddle away. Leave nothing hanging out or it will make your paddle way harder.

Being efficient just means rigging your kayak to carry everything you need in a way that makes everything easy to utilize. You don't wanna be climbing all around if you can help it. You don't wanna be digging through the storage hatches if you don't really have to. I've got mine dialed in. Net, pliers, bait, knives, beer, tackle....all within easy reach at any time.

Exactly. Indifferent people DO NOT VOTE! They don't bother. What's so bad about that? I'm truly indifferent. I've never voted in my life, and never will because it's a sham. Who am I hurting by not voting?
More to the point, not voting is made respectable by the absurdity of the pre-selected choices.

Back