Hitler Youth

Greg_L

Banned
Came to my door today. Well, actually they were some young republican group going door to door asking very loaded questions, like which republican will I be voting for in the upcoming local and state elections. I gave them my time and answered all of their questions candidly and honestly, and I don't think they'll ever be coming back. That was fun.

These kids were like maybe 15-16 yrs old. They were kind of confused when I asked them why they would choose a political side at such a young age. It's not like they have any life experience, and certainly not enough to have a valid opinion about anything. Their general response was "our opinion is as valid as anyones". I explained to them why it actually isn't valid at all. I'm making a difference.

Well...better that they take some interest now and get some perspectives on what's going on around them, instead of when they are old enough, just voting based on the candidates' color, gender or sexual inclination. ;)

Indoctrination and establishment of personal views through indifference and ignorance is the worst thing....those are the real sheeple.

Well...better that they take some interest now and get some perspectives on what's going on around them, instead of when they are old enough, just voting based on the candidates' color, gender or sexual inclination. ;)

Indoctrination and establishment of personal views through indifference and ignorance is the worst kind....those are the real sheeple.

Lol. No. Not even close. Indifference is much more respectable than blindly following a party line. They're being brainwashed by their parents. Rich suburban white kids that have never had a job, never paid a bill, never done anything. But they're rabid republicans? Lol. Please.

And on the other side of the political fence, they're voting based on learned/educated perspectives...?

Yeah!!!
:laughings:

No....they vote purely based on mass media hype. Talk about "brainwashed".

Anyway...no point in extending this thread any further here....'cuz it will just end up in the Cave, and then all the left wing nuts will dive in.

And on the other side of the political fence, they're voting based on learned/educated perspectives...?

Yeah!!!
:laughings:

No....they vote purely based on mass media hype. Talk about "brainwashed".

Anyway...no point in extending this thread any further here....'cuz it will just end up in the Cave, and then all the left wing nuts will dive in.

You missed my point and got this way wrong. For one, this isn't about sides. It could have been some dumb hippie lefty kids and I'd say the same thing. Actually, it would make more sense if they were dumbass lefties. Young people are naive and idealistic - the perfect mental state for liberalism. As they age, make some money, and learn how things actually work, they'll come around to conservatism. The point is, they can't vote for anyone. So their lobbying and picking a side now is silly. Never mind that "mass media hype" is heavily left leaning, young people pop culture is way to the left, so that excuse doesn't hold water as to why these kids would be young republicans. Two, they have no life experiences of any kind. Their biggest issue is deciding which of their parents' german luxury sedans to take to the prom. They're being used as pawns by the adults in their lives. Someone put them up to this. I don't like that. I get that a parents responsibility is to guide and nurture their kids into their version of good members of society. This just seemed like something kids don't want to do on a nice weekend day.

You're right Greg.
In most instances they will have had little life experience and even less experience of the other political position.
Youth & ldealism usually lean to the left until soured/confirmed by experience & work related reality.
Taking an interest in politics is good if dealt with carefully but what you described smacks of indoctrination on the part of some adult/s and new missionary zeal on the part of the kids.
I very much doubt that their actions were "managed" by the media. It is right wing and likes to have control. It doesn't care for the engagement of youth preferring to direct the current crop of enfranchaised folk.

So then, on the one hand you applaud "indifference"...but on the other, you talk about the need for life experience and education, which in fact is NOT about being indifferent. :)

See...by the mere act of going around and talking to people, the kids ARE getting life experience and education about other people's views. Much better than the crowd who just wants to play XBox all day and not give a damn.

Schooling begins at like age 5...so by the time the kids are 16, they've already gotten a good dose of history and political eduction.....IF they paid any attention in class.
The indifferent ones that just stared aimlessly out the window....do you really want them to be our decision makers down the road? :facepalm:

That by the way, applies to any/all political affiliations.
I would rather have the educated and interested voting, than the mindless ones who have no clue and just follow mass media hype to know what to do. ;)

So then, on the one hand you applaud "indifference"...but on the other, you talk about the need for life experience and education, which in fact is NOT about being indifferent. :)
Exactly. Pay attention now. I think indifference is beautiful. Don't care, don't give a shit. Those people are my favorites. But if you're not going to be indifferent, if you are going to "get involved", then you need to know what the fuck you are doing and saying. These kids don't. In that case, indifference is way better. It's better anyway, but much better than ignorance, which is what these kids are.

See...by the mere act of going around and talking to people, the kids ARE getting life experience and education about other people's views. Much better than the crowd who just wants to play XBox all day and not give a damn.
I disagree. Kids should be kids. They shouldn't be saddled with stuff like this. What "life experience" or "education" are they gaining by going door to door? That people are dicks? Okay, I'll buy that, and only that. I bet I'm one of the few homeowners that even gave these kids the time of day, and even then, I told them opposite of what they wanted to hear.

Schooling begins at like age 5...so by the time the kids are 16, they've already gotten a good dose of history and political eduction.....IF they paid any attention in class.
The indifferent ones that just stared aimlessly out the window....do you really want them to be our decision makers down the road? :facepalm:
The indifferent ones won't vote at all. So where's the problem? I know it was 10,000 years ago, but think back to when you were 16. Do you think you were" informed"? Guess what, you weren't. No one is. I'm firmly of the opinion that voting is a joke, but if it does have any merit, I think the voting requirements need to be changed to an older age and perhaps even have educational or financial requirements. An 18 yr old dropout can vote. You want him making your decisions? How many 18 yr olds do you think have enough going on upstairs to make an informed decision?

That by the way, applies to any/all political affiliations.
I would rather have the educated and interested voting, than the mindless ones who have no clue and just follow mass media hype to know what to do. ;)
You need to move to a different country then.

You're right Greg.
In most instances they will have had little life experience and even less experience of the other political position.
Youth & ldealism usually lean to the left until soured/confirmed by experience & work related reality.
Taking an interest in politics is good if dealt with carefully but what you described smacks of indoctrination on the part of some adult/s and new missionary zeal on the part of the kids.
I very much doubt that their actions were "managed" by the media. It is right wing and likes to have control. It doesn't care for the engagement of youth preferring to direct the current crop of enfranchaised folk.

Yeah Ray. You're a professional that deals with impressionable children. Would you send kids out lobbying for a political agenda?

Maybe when you were in school at 16 it was just mindless fun & games...but I remember also a LOT of serious interest and discussions in the classrooms as to what was going on in the world and in the country.
Yes....at 16 you can and should have more on your mind than just XBox and hangin' out at the local mall or worrying about who likes you or if Clearasil will really work in time for your prom. :rolleyes:

If the kids show their own interest and motivation....how are they being "straddled", or are you just making assumptions?
Anyway, from my perspective, they were taking an interest and learning by going door-to-door.
Indifference is what's wrong with way too many kids....and adults.

I don't care which way someone votes or what their views are, but at least they should not be indifferent about everything and make assumptions that someone else is going to, or has to, do all the responsible stuff, while they just go along for the ride.

Maybe when you were in school at 16 it was just mindless fun & games...but I remember also a LOT of serious interest and discussions in the classrooms as to what was going on in the world and in the country.
Yes....at 16 you can and should have more on your mind than just XBox and hangin' out at the local mall or worrying about who likes you or if Clearasil will really work in time for your prom. :rolleyes:
Sorry, but that is what normal kids care about at 16. They care about their own small little lives because they don't know know about the outside world, nor should they. I think kids should be allowed to be kids. A 16 yr old acting like 16 yr old still has tons of time to get serious if he or she wants to.

If the kids show their own interest and motivation....how are they being "straddled", or are you just making assumptions?
Anyway, from my perspective, they were taking an interest and learning by going door-to-door.
Indifference is what's wrong with way too many kids....and adults.
I am making assumptions, just like you're assuming they're wise beyond their years. I'm making my assumption because in the 10 years I've lived in this neighborhood through these very tumultuous political times we live in, this is the very first time I've ever seen local kids going door to door for politics. Girl scout cookies? Sure. All the time. Fund raisers for school uniforms? Yup. Kids wanting to cut grass and do odd jobs for some spending money? All the time. Politics? Never. My neighborhood splits into two gigantic high schools. Today was the first time I've seen these kids get political about anything, so yeah, I'm thinking there's someone directing this small group to do what they did.

I don't care which way someone votes or what their views are, but at least they should not be indifferent about everything and make assumptions that someone else is going to, or has to, do all the responsible stuff, while they just go along for the ride.
I can't help but feel you'd agree with me if these kids were lefties. :eek:

I hear democrats aren't allowed in Texas. Is it true that they execute them?

I don't know. Maybe? I really don't subscribe to any political ideology. I'm indifferent - don't give a flying fuck. It doesn't matter to me what color tie the president wears. Blue, red, its all the same to me. It's all the same to everyone, but people are mostly dumb and feel safety in numbers so they pick a side. My life goes unchanged regardless and that's all I care about. I started this thread mainly to talk about these kids being used as political conduits. I don't like it. I guess maybe they did it for extra credit or something? Who knows. This wasn't designed to be a right vs left debate. That shit is stupid.

Houston and Austin have significant democratic populations though. Austin obviously is full of hippies, hipsters, and counter culture wannabe weirdos, they all vote democrat. Houston has a gigantic gay and lesbian community - maybe even the largest in the country. I've heard that by sheer number, Houston has more homos than any other city. Houston also has a very large arsty fartsy bohemian lifestyle modern hippie punk culture population. Surely they all vote to the left. But the rest of redneck Texas votes republican, so they overpower the outsiders.

I don't know about you guys but politics was not on my radar until years after high school. It was the 70's so all we thought about was screwing Farrah Fawcett.

I don't know about you guys but politics was not on my radar until years after high school. It was the 70's so all we thought about was screwing Farrah Fawcett.
I was a senior in high school when the first Iraq gulf war was getting started. Many of us dummies thought we'd be drafted. It was a big deal. That didn't stop any of us from not giving a shit and chasing girls all day every day and having parties all weekend. The biggest impact it had on me was gas prices going up. I was driving my GTO at the time. It got 6 miles per gallon. That stupid "war" was cutting into my freedom money. I was pissed! I should have stayed home and watched Tom Brokaw.

But we did have the nerd jocks who ran for Student Council. I think they were pushed into it by the parents/teachers.
Student council looks really good on a college application. Student council is more about upping one's chances at being accepted for college, and less about student politics.

Back