Dachay...

Patty was making a joke...

Moskus got it

I got it..

I replied with a joke..

Patty got it

Moskus got it..

Apparently, you didn't.

You will never meet anyone better at "taking a joke" than me...never !

But, I do not suffer fools gladly !

Several people have recognized my plight and are responding with sincerity and patience !

There's something for you to learn here !

Have a wonderful Holiday season

bob Young

bob young said:
Dachay...

Patty was making a joke...

Moskus got it

I got it..

I replied with a joke..

Patty got it

Moskus got it..

Apparently, you didn't.

You will never meet anyone better at "taking a joke" than me...never !

But, I do not suffer fools gladly !

Several people have recognized my plight and are responding with sincerity and patience !

There's something for you to learn here !

Have a wonderful Holiday season

bob Young
Bob - I got it. And actually it was pretty funny.

Unfortunately, what you apparently have missed so far was that so was my original response to you. That's what smiley faces mean. Or is that something else you need to be taught?

Dachay..

I rely on words...not "smiley faces"

Payys little joke didn't need "smiley faces"

neither did mine...

No...I didn't know you were joking..

If indeed, you were, I'm sorry I missed it

bob Young

bob young said:
Moskus got it..
I thought pattygram was being rude... :rolleyes: But your response was funny :D (but that answer was rude too ;))!

Bob, if you're dissing Dachay then you're on the wrong track. And please don't take this the bad way, but could you drop "I'm very old so be gentle with me"-attitude? There's alot of "old guys" :-)D) here that have spent their lifes doing recordings and can handle computers (Dachay being one of them although recording is a hobby, isn't it Dachay?).

At the forums we use smiley-faces to make sure the rest got that it's a joke. If you don't do it that way, you have a problem. The written word is not the best medium to express feelings, and therefore smiley-faces are needed (in my humble opinion). And since there's so many people around these forums with different opinions on "what's funny" they're even more important.

Moskus...

No...I'm not going to drop my hey I'm an old guy be gentle with me attitude.

It's not, in fact, an attitude..it's how I feel.

I'm a contributor and indeed a mentor on several songwriting and music forums on the net..
People come to me there with the premise "hey...I'm a young person, please be gentle with me"
I understand that completely

I've never used a "smiley face" to explain what I'm saying...
I rely on words...
I will continue...
If people can't communicate with me in words...well...then we probably don't have anything valid to say to each other and are probably wasting time...

I'm not "dissing" anybody

If my exchange with Dachay is troubling to you...well...I'm sorry...
It has nothing to do with you, but if you feel that you and I cannot communicate...well...
That's up to you !

Thank you for your help and kindness to this point

bob Young

bob,

Do you have any of your music up on the Internet? I wouldn't mind finding out what style of music you are into.

Porter

Time out! Time out!

Bring it in guys...

I think we may have got off on the wrong foot here. How about we give this one away and start afresh?

Bob,

Trust me there is a wealth of knowledge here and we're only too happy to share it. After all, we all had to start somewhere. I wasn't fortunate enough to have a forum like this one to ask my seemingly basic questions when I first started struggling with MIDI and computer recording.

We're not all youngsters either.

So, group hug and start another thread. Is everybody cool with that?

OK, let's do it...

--
BluesMeister

bob young said:
If people can't communicate with me in words...well...then we probably don't have anything valid to say to each other and are probably wasting time...
I see now why you didn't get Dachays joke.

Smileyfaces is a help to ensure that the reciever of the message knew you were joking. Nothing more.

In my work I need the written word. I'm working as a acoustic engineer and writes reports daily, and I'm good at that. However, I don't make jokes in them, so there's no need for smileyfaces. But this is a hobby, and if I can't make jokes I'm going crazy. The written word can't express feelings like the spoken word. Just think of how many ways there is to say the word "yes". It can mean anything based on the tone of the person saying it. But when it's written... you get the idea.

Your response to patty wasn't a joke, it was an insult. If you had put a smileyface just like this :D after the text, it would be a joke.

If I said:
Hey loosers!

... it's an insult...

If I said:
Hey loosers! :D

... people understand that I'm joking...

Moskus..

Following your logic, anything written anywhere cannot be a joke unless it's accompanied by a smiley face!

That's a bit absurd.....

My response to Patty was indeed a joke..
(I think she was kidding around too...and didn't feel the need to post a smileyface)

I think smiley faces are cute..but I don't see them as an aid to my personal communicative style.
So, I guess folks will have to figure out what I'm saying the way they have figured out others for many thousands of years...they'll just have to read the words.
I'm sorry that this is such a big issue with you...

Maybe you're eating too much cheese...

More fiber might be a good idea...and de-caf !

Bob Young

I know what I'm saying...if you can't figure it out...well...that's fine !

bob young said:
Following your logic, anything written anywhere cannot be a joke unless it's accompanied by a smiley face!
No, that's not what I'm saying, but with you it would certainly help. With your angry tone, how am I supposed to take that "pattygram-comment" as a joke?

I'm sorry that this is such a big issue with you...
It is when strangers call people (that I refer to as friends) a "jerk-off" because of a little joke (that even had smiley-faces). People who do that makes me a little bit angry. Here we are helping people out in our spare time, and you can't take a little joke! If you "base yourself on the written word", then how come you didn't get that as a joke?

I know what I'm saying...if you can't figure it out...well...that's fine !
Well, that's exactly the problem. You know what you're saying, but your words is not the universal language. Yes, languages have been around for thousands of years, but the problem with the written word has always been around aswell (maybe this was a newsflash for you).

And my interpretation on what you're writing is based on what you have previously written. Saying that Dachay is a "jerk-off" doesen't invite to a lot of jokes...

Moskus...

i don't understand why you keep extending this discussion..

I called him a jerk off..

He called me an a hole..

We've moved on !

I suggest you do the same !

Bob

bob young said:
Thank You James and Paul !
I have figured out how to record some tracks.
Anytime, old man... :) Glad to hear you're getting somewhere... You'll be there in no time, and forgeting your old Alesis even existed... :D

bob young said:
I can make the piano appear...I can change the midi out assignments to make my outboard sound modules work..I can get my outboard drum machine to work with the track..I figured out note-editing from the staff and from data..I can change the internal patch assignments on tracks..the audio is no problemo !
So you go fine with MIDI. That's a great great news!!! Here you may learn some terms we use in Cakewalk as we go. It is important for you to get familiar with them, and we're gonna do it step by step. I am representating most of us here in this forum probably have newer version of Cakewalk, so we may forget the procedure in older Cakewalk, so... please bear with these "young man" here... Easy boy....

The first window when you open the program initialy is called "Track View". You'll find yourself work with this view most of the time. Track View is devided into two pannels, left one and right one. On the left pannel you can add a new track -either MIDI or audio track-, and make track adjustments. On the right pannel, you'll see the bars (or also known as measure) where your data being recorded following their particular tracks is shown. The number of bars (measures) determines how long is your song. I think you get the idea. We'll talk about this view latter...

Right click (click right mouse button) on the right pannel of Track view, and select "Piano Roll". This will open what we call "Piano Roll View" or we sometime call it simply "PRV". It has "Piano" that appears on your left hand side. You can click the keys to audition the sound of particular key. When the track is assigned to MIDI channel 10, it will appear as name of drums note (eg. Kick, Snare, Hihat, Toms, etc...). In the lower part of this window, you can see the velocity (note strength) of the notes above it. It represent numbers between 0 to 127. The higher the number, more strong the note being hit. It usualy correspond to note's level.

As you have found it, the "Staff View" consists of musical staff written on standard music fonts. You know... emmhhh... I rarely use this view, but it's good when you need to print the staff of your composition. If you're good on writting in staff view, then you can use it to enter and edit MIDI notes into particular tracks by "writing" them using "pencil". However, it's abit difficult to do editing details here compared to on Piano Roll View. If you want to print the staff, then open this Staff View, click File, and select Print.

bob young said:
My controller is a cheap yamaha keyboard with basic midi capabilities...enough to keep me going until I can replace my beloved Korg X3 and 01WFD that I lost in the fire.
It's too bad to hear. I know how to deal with both those Korg with my eyes closed. Anyway, any cheap keyboard that has MIDI In and Out connection will do just fine for inputing MIDI data into Cakewalk. We can always edit those recorded MIDI data later...

bob young said:
Here's what I CAN"T figure out.
As I said on an earlier thread, when I'm composing on keyboard, I write in 8 bar sections (usually)
I will create a basic track usually with piano, bass and drums.
Then I will experiment combining that section with other sections to create longer phrases, additional verses etc. until I have mapped out a song.
So, I may record an eight bar section, then a totally different 16 bar section and try the 16 into the 8 or vice versa.
My sequencer was an Alesis mmt8, and the process was very easy.
Also on the mmt8, I could take 8 tracks to get a piano part just right.
Then I could edit each of the 8 tracks and then merge them into one track.
Now, I'm sure Cakewalk can do the same thing but they don't call it "merge".
So...I can't locate that function.
My drum trax on cakewalk are on two tracks...I can't find a way to combine them into one (or merge,using the alesis terminology) to free up a track for another instrument.
You can do similiar work ith Cakewalk. You can record 1 piano track to track 1. Add new track, make necessary adjustment (MIDI out port setting, channel setting, bank and patch sellect, etc.) record piano 2 on track 2... and so on, until you have 8 tracks of piano or... uuhm... hundreds of them if you like :) Then you may like to do editing on each tracks one at a time in Piano Roll View. To do so, select the track in Track View. Right click on the right pannel. Menu will appears, select Piano Roll View. It will open Piano Roll View for selected track. You may then edit the MIDI data of the track. Do same procedure on each tracks until you're satisfied. You can ask in this forum if you have any difficulties on editing the MIDI data. Then you can "Merge" them to free up the tracks (or to make it easier to control them at once). To do so, after you finished MIDI editing, close the Piano Roll View. Maximize the Track View window, and on the left pannel, select tracks you want to "Merge". In older Cakewalk, we call it "Copy-Paste to one track" or in the newer version we call it "Bounce to track". It has similiar function, only different procedure and purposes. We can discuss about this function later, for now, lets get focused on your current situation.

After all tracks (you want to "merge") have been selected, you can see on the right pannel all selected data is being highlighted. If you want to skip particular track in between selected tracks to "merge", simply hold the ctrl key on your qwerty keyboard, and click the track you want to skip on the left pannel. The track will be un-selected. You can take a minute to try it to know what I'm talking about.

After all necessary tracks is selected, then on the right pannel, click your right mouse button. Select "Copy". You may also use roll down Edit menu on the top of the window to select copy function.

Now you have copy all those tracks to clipboard (temporary storage). Pick one MIDI track as destination. You can add one first if necessary, then select it. On the right panel, click your right mouse button, and select "Paste to one track". Click it.
If you do it right, then you'll see the data is being "merged" to the destination track. If it doesn't work, or you have difficulties, back here and ask, we'll help you out...

bob young said:
Also, these "markers" are driving me nuts..
I can't figure out how to use them...I can make them appear but I can't make them go away !

Is any of this making sense ?
Umh... those markers are there for several purposes. As for me, it makes me easier to remember particular points/part/posotions of the song. You can add/delete/edit by using View roll down menu on top of the window, and select "Marker". There you can delete it if you want to. Select the marker, and press delete button.

Be back after this commercial...

;)
Jaymz

Puke!!!!

Just because he can play violin and keyboards and has a lot of talent. So what!!!

:D <------ Smiley Face, Bob. It's a joke. See???

Dachay..

It's apparent that we got off on the wrong foot....

For my part I apologize...

But I'm still not gonna use those damn smiley faces !
They cause cancer just like leisure suits !

Bob Young

Back