Help Please !

bob,

Welcome to the world of recording. As Joro has said before, moskus and dachay2tnr are very knowledgeable when it comes to Cakewalk products.

If dachay2tnr's first replay he asked you a simple question that wasn't answered..

Also would be helpful to know what version of Cakewalk, and what is your computer setup (specs, soundcard, etc.).

Cakewalk is a company which makes quite a few programs, they are all different beasts which all do the same job (ie record) in slightly different ways.

This forum is more of a ask a specific question as opposed to a 'hold my hand'. In saying that if you say read through a tutorial or do something by accident, and you either don't know why or how, you would ask that here.

From your last post it sounds as though someone has shown you the basics, if you do have any specific questions or can't work out how to do something please do post the question here and we will do that to the best of our knowledge.... with everyone here you will get an answer. We may ask questions to get there, so don't be put off when we ask you what may seem to you like silly questions.

Porter

Thanks Porter....

I've been in the world of recording for almost 40 years..

It's the world of computer recording that's got me scared.

Like alot of us "mature" folks, I'm still abit intimidated by computers and such.
At my age, I have lost the ability to sit and patiently "click and try" for hours on end to learn stuff..
It's easier to just get some help.

Software tutorials are a pet peeve of mine..not just cakewalk, but instruction sections for most software are written assuming a certain degree of computer literacy on the part of the user.
The fact is that most first time computer buyers (like me) are handed the machine with a nice fare-thee-well from the salesperson and then we're on our own.

When I got my confuser , I hadThe cakewalk installed because I had heard it was user friendly.
Hell..I couldn't open it up for two years !

I appreciate your offer to return with specific questions..

I did npot come with specific questions at the start because I did not know how to word them in ways that would be easily understood.
The process of exchanging posts on a thread is very slow..what I was looking for was someone who would exchange e-mails or instant mesasages to answer questions on the fly in a conversational mode.

I found a guy in Maryland, about mid 20's I'm guessing, who has the knowledge and patience I'm looking for.
He taught his own Dad about computers and some accounting software so he's used to dealing with dopey old farts !

If I wind up having more specific questions in the future I will certainly post them here..I suspect that there are many here who will help out an old fool !

I know Joro from some other boards on the net, and I know him to be a real good (as well as talented) guy.

He sez this is a good place and that's good enough for me.

Thanks again

Bob Young

Okay, I've had a good nights sleep, so now I'm not so annoyed as I was last night. Let's start over!

bob young said:
Like alot of us "mature" folks, I'm still abit intimidated by computers and such.At my age, I have lost the ability to sit and patiently "click and try" for hours on end to learn stuff..
It's easier to just get some help.
Come on, you can't blame that on your age. I just arranged some computers for "the old folks house" in town. I've never seen so much excitement because of a few weak computers! They spend hours in front of those things, constantly surfing the net...

And you really shouldn't call Dachay "young man"... ;)

I've been in the world of recording for almost 40 years..
Great! Then you must surely have some tips to share! :)

It's the world of computer recording that's got me scared.
Then why didn't you say so in the beginning? We need to know what you do know. Do you know Word, Excel, Outlook? Have you ever seen the Windows Mixer? What outboard MIDI gear do you have? And what soundcard do you have?

You must have some knowledge because you obviously know how to chew out stranges on a BBS... :D In case you didn't get it, this was a joke.

It's just hard to understand that a person who finds this BBS via the internet has "little computer knowledge".

Then:

What excactly is the problem?

As in? You don't know how to start the program. You don't know how get the MIDI-signals into your computer and record them. You don't know how to export the files. What?

Moskus..

It may very well be that when I wind up in an "old folks house" I may have the time to sit hunting and pecking at a keyboard for hours.
At this point in my life I do not have that luxury or inclination.

No...I don't know what word or excel or any of that stuff is..I have not seen a windows mixer..I have no idea what kind of soundcard I have..I'm not sure what a soundcard is.

This may seem unbelievable to you..but it's sadly true.

My specific problem is terminology, I think.

On my sequencer, I would compose 8 bar or 16 bar "patterns" then I would put them together with each other in various ways to experiment with song structure.
Generally the first patterns would be simple..bass, drums and piano...if the muse struck, I might add other instruments..
I had a boatload of outboard sound modules and could easily experiment with different textures as I was composing.

The key words were "merge" which meant taking 5 06 tracks of piano parts and combining them to one track.
"pattern" which was just what the name implies, a set piece of 8 bars or whatever.
"Song"..this was the product of patterns following each other to create a finished song structure.

Cakewalk performs all of these functions , I'm sure, but the words are different, and often terms are undefined in the tutorial.

Instead of telling folks like me that there is no problem or just to "read the book" or whatever, it would be helpful to just believe us when we say we can't figure something out !

It's as simple as that..
And, at nearly 60 years of age I have earned the right to call someone "young man" if I choose to !

Unless Dachay is a female, of course.

This kid on the East coast understood exactly what I was looking for...seems strange to me that it was so foreign to some of you here.

"Chewing out" rude people doesn't take much knowledge..
Just a reply in kind..that's all.

I certainly didn't come here to be rude...
I came here looking...

Several people, including you have offered to help me...

thank you, and if there are any questions for a guy who started recording when 4 tracks was state of the art..

I'm here !

Bob Young

Okay... we're just not used to deal with people that doesen't have any knowledge about computers. Normally, people know how to use the computer before they decide to use it for music, or they already know how it works before they get it themselves.

Explaining the fundamentals in "how to use a computer" is just not what you have forums for. When people use forums, they already know how to use the computer (more or less), and have a certain intuision for "what to click". Example: When you want to save your file (in whatever program), go to the File-menu and choose Save.

And... Cakewalk Express 8 is getting old. You might want to get a newer (and easier) version. Look at the "other thread".

:)

Jaymz in da house... :cool: everybody can sit down now... :D

Relax Bob, we're on the way to figure out how to help you the best that we can. First, you can explain (at least what you know) about your computer setup:

- What do you know about your Processor, Mainboard, RAM, Hard disk, etc.?
- Soundcard?
- What version of Windows?
- What version of Cakewalk?
- Huh?
- How's your knee?
- Kiddin' :D

Then, we need to know if you are doing MIDI or audio only based projects?

We also need to know the progress that you have done until now?

You may describe and explain anything you know about them, and we may then help you out step by step. We probably can give you hints on what is necessary to do (or upgrade) if possible, the benefit, and what's not necessary. Take a deep breath and relax, you're on the right place, surrounded by helpfull people here...

;)
Jaymz

Ouch... You may ignore my post above, Bob... I readed again your last post, and I got your point... :o

What's the name of your old "sequencer" if you remember?

Okay then, by saying "compose 8 bars pattern" what kind of equipment did you use to input your "data" into the "sequencer"?

If you needed to connect some devices (eg. sound module etc) to your "sequencer", then how did you connect them?

We're not sure if we can force you to check your soundcard, but at least we can ask that does your computer have any audio capability? (can you play mp3, wave file or CD audio and actualy hear the sound with your PC's audio monitor)?

If so, then you have soundcard on your PC. Now, have a look at the connection of your PC's audio monitor. It should be connected to 1/4 inch jack somewhere behind the CPU. That's your Audio out.

Can we go now? good...

I believe you know at least keyboard with MIDI port (any "piano like keyboard" with MIDI in/Out/Thru port). Is there any cables or port in your PC that you can connect to MIDI in/out of the keyboard? It can be special breakout cables that is connected to Joystick port of your PC (that's it, 15 pin connector on the soundcard. It won't be far from your "Audio Out" jack), or it can be dedicated MIDI interface...

We can continue after your reply and answer those question...

;)
Jaymz

ps. I already have Tele... what else that you got? :D :D :D

Jeez, this is an interesting thread:D

Bob, first you need to dump Cakewalk Express 8 after you have learnt the very basics. I started out with that but it was very "buggy". (buggy=Computer term meaning full of coding/software errors;) )

I kind of have some sympathy for your predicament...but give these guys a break, coming here and asking such an open question is very dificult to answer.

If you are used to recording hardware, cakey is no different. You just have to select your input device (your soundcard) and then arm your tracks...press record....stop, playback. Hey presto, a recording:D

If you plug your guitar/microphone into your soundcard, can you hear it through your computer speakers?

Thank You James and Paul !

I have figured out how to record some tracks.

I can make the piano appear...I can change the midi out assignments to make my outboard sound modules work..I can get my outboard drum machine to work with the track..I figured out note-editing from the staff and from data..I can change the internal patch assignments on tracks..the audio is no problemo !

My controller is a cheap yamaha keyboard with basic midi capabilities...enough to keep me going until I can replace my beloved Korg X3 and 01WFD that I lost in the fire.

So....I can record the data just fine, and edit it as much as I need to.

Here's what I CAN"T figure out.

As I said on an earlier thread, when I'm composing on keyboard, I write in 8 bar sections (usually)
I will create a basic track usually with piano, bass and drums.
Then I will experiment combining that section with other sections to create longer phrases, additional verses etc. until I have mapped out a song.
So, I may record an eight bar section, then a totally different 16 bar section and try the 16 into the 8 or vice versa.
My sequencer was an Alesis mmt8, and the process was very easy.
Also on the mmt8, I could take 8 tracks to get a piano part just right.
Then I could edit each of the 8 tracks and then merge them into one track.
Now, I'm sure Cakewalk can do the same thing but they don't call it "merge".
So...I can't locate that function.

My drum trax on cakewalk are on two tracks...I can't find a way to combine them into one (or merge,using the alesis terminology) to free up a track for another instrument.

Also, these "markers" are driving me nuts..
I can't figure out how to use them...I can make them appear but I can't make them go away !

Is any of this making sense ?

Thanks for the tip on dumping the Cakewalk I'm using...
I've looked at the specs for some of the newer versions and it looks like The "Home Recording XL" version has all the features I need.

I still am keeping my Roland Hard Disc setup, until I have convinced myself that recording on the computer is a better way.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the tone of your response..
I'm a very skilled musician and am not used to the "helpless and clueless" feeling that comes over me when I turn on Cakewaqlk !

Thanks so much for your offer to help !

Bob(a relieved old man)Young

bob young said:
Thanks for the tip on dumping the Cakewalk I'm using...
I've looked at the specs for some of the newer versions and it looks like The "Home Recording XL" version has all the features I need.
I think you'll be better of with "Home Studio 2004 XL" if that's the version you talk about.

You see, Cakewalk Express was a long time ago (the "big" sequenser then was Cakewalk Pro Audio 8), and I have a hard time remembering how it worked.

Are you recording audio or MIDI? And doesen't Cakewalk Express 8 have limitless MIDI-tracks?

I'm sorry it's just too long ago.

moskus..

I'm just recording midi on the computer..

I really like the set-up on the roland for audio so I'm planning on doing the guitars and voices on there..

My plan is to create a rhythm track on the computer, then assign the sounds to my outboard modules and record it on the Roland..then add vocals and guitars and windchimes or whatever in real time

Bob

If you have the same midi-channel-setting and instrument-setting on both drum-tracks (in Express 8), then you can just drag the clips from the one track over in the other.

just some humor bob. i know your frustration. ive been recording for 15 years, only 1.5 w/ a daw. but beleave me, i would have given up long ago if not for the people that use this forum. try to stay focused and take a little at a time. also make sure to pass on what youve learned to someone who is your situation. good luck!

Moskus..

Are you an American living in Norway or are you a Norseman ?

Bob

I thought maybe Patty was a friend of Dachays !

I tried that click/drag thing..
It didn't seem to work...I'll try it again.

You know, when you say "Cakewalk express was SO long ago"..it makes me chuckle.

One of the differences between young like you and old like me is the way we perceive time.

I got the computer with Cakewalk on board about 5 years ago.
At the time, the program was recommended to me because alot of people were using it..

You say "it's so long ago"..
For me, 4 or 5 years is like an hour and a half ago !

In a few years , you, I am sad to tell you, will know just what I mean!!

I did alot of shows in Wisconsin and Minnesota and Michigan
those states have very large Scandinavian poulations..alot of Norwegians...lots of Lutheran Norwegians!!!
They taught me how to enjoy Herring and stinky cheese !

Bob

Back