Guitar Center doing a beginner home recording workshop

Also, I think there are some people who learn by actively watching something they perceive as technical. A video or questions on a forum won't initially be much good to them, in their perception. I think it's a good idea. If it leads to sales, so what ? Most folk that are in our game don't put all their eggs in one basket........

I think it's cool. I wouldn't expect too much from it. But, it's free and there doesn't seem to be any pitch.

I think it's just the fact that on average they sell a certain amount per head that enters the store. So this is one more way to get you into the store.

But, the obvious omission here is the fact that I haven't been in a GC in 10 years that had anyone who knew anything about recording, guitars, or amps.

Good grief, what a bunch of cynics!

You might actually learn something, even if it's something you "already" know. I once got out of paying a speeding ticket by attending a Driver Improvement Class. I had been driving for years, even raced cars some, so I figured I'd be bored to tears. Turned out the instructor was a good teacher, the course material was good and I learned a few useful things I didn't already know.

And don't sell the classroom short. Many folks learn better when there is some give-and-take between instructor and student- you don't get that with a video, and it can take DAYS to get it via a forum.

I'd go to one of these events just to pwn the n00bs and the instructors.

And while it could possbily be a good and worthwhile event, we really don't need even more n00b home-recorders in the world flooding the interwebz with their garbage music.

I've got about zero problems with this as long as it aint a pressure sales gimmick. Some peeps learn kinetically rather than visually and while this doesn't appear to be a hands on type seminar, proximity to the actual equipment can be beneficial as opposed to a youtube vid.

I think it sounds like a fun way to spend a Saturday morning in the real world instead of on the internets

I think it sounds like a fun way to spend a Saturday morning in the real world instead of on the internets

I can think of about ten million other things to do on a saturday morning that are more fun than both Guitar Center and the interwebs.

I can think of about ten million other things to do on a saturday morning that are more fun than both Guitar Center and the interwebs.

I'm open to suggestions. I like trying out different guitars and amps and looking at equipment. But I don't get out much because I am lazy and do not have much motivation.

Back